UKBouldering.com

rock over reviews/opinions please (Read 5995 times)

Charlton Chestwig

• regular
rock over reviews/opinions please
October 20, 2013, 08:09:29 pm
For some reason I've never found myself at this wall despite being within an hour. Always been slighty nearer stockport or bailed out to the depot if over that way. With change of job I'm considering heading here a bit. Obviously I'll check it out for myself but interested in what others think of the place. Particularly regarding training facilities and parking. Cheers. Rich.

tomtom

• forum hero
#1 rock over reviews/opinions please
October 20, 2013, 08:16:20 pm
I've not been for a couple of years (or a few months since it opened). It's fine but Logport is a bit easier to get to - and rockover's never really floated my boat like the depot or works. But hey, I've not been for ages so a lot can change in that time.

Nearly went today, but mates were over at the depot etc...

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#2 Re: rock over reviews/opinions please
October 20, 2013, 08:26:52 pm
As above- a good wall I thought, I joined on a year's pass when it first opened.

Not been back much since I moved a bit further away. Broughton is open Tues evenings too.

battery

• obsessive maniac
#3 Re: rock over reviews/opinions please
October 20, 2013, 10:59:41 pm
They're in the middle of a significant re-vamp including New training facilities upstairs (large 45 board and multi angled circuits) and reshaping walls downstairs to give more/different angles including addressing the lack of slabs. Also nee seating areas going in and a wood burning stove.

The setting seems (to me anyway) to have improved loads over the last couple of months although it is quite basic sometimes.

The best thing is the management are really open to ideas and respond to customer input.

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#4 Re: rock over reviews/opinions please
October 21, 2013, 07:01:24 am
I've only been there once whilst visiting family in Manchester. Though it was ok but nowt special as modern bouldering walls go.

Felt nervous about the excess on my hire car parked on the street around there, but I admit that's purely based on prejudice not experience.

schloosh

• addict
    • Kirklees Climbing
#5 Re: rock over reviews/opinions please
October 21, 2013, 08:45:24 am
It was my lunchtime wall for a few months while working in Manc city centre.

I pretty much concur with the comments above.
I'm used to the Works & City Bloc and the setting/problems at Rockover seemed to be not as good, although loads better than MCC.
If I was still in Manc then I'd still be going.

galpinos

• forum hero
#6 Re: rock over reviews/opinions please
October 21, 2013, 10:12:30 am
I end up at Logport more than Rock Over (aka PrisonBloc TM Salbeef). It’s more convenient but I find the setting better.

RO seem to have “just missed” on so many things but hopefully that’ll be rectified with the improvements mentioned by Battery. It always sees very basic. The comp wall is good, and there is a few decent problems scattered about the place but it feels like a lot of wall space compared to the amount of decent climbing.

I enjoy going there but always leave a little disappointed. (There are plenty of things I’d change at Stockport but that’s a different thread…..)

tomtom

• forum hero
#7 Re: rock over reviews/opinions please
October 21, 2013, 10:25:47 am
I end up at Logport more than Rock Over (aka PrisonBloc TM Salbeef). It’s more convenient but I find the setting better.

RO seem to have “just missed” on so many things but hopefully that’ll be rectified with the improvements mentioned by Battery. It always sees very basic. The comp wall is good, and there is a few decent problems scattered about the place but it feels like a lot of wall space compared to the amount of decent climbing.

I enjoy going there but always leave a little disappointed. (There are plenty of things I’d change at Stockport but that’s a different thread…..)

Yup.

saltbeef

• forum hero
#8 Re: rock over reviews/opinions please
October 21, 2013, 08:45:36 pm
depends what you're after. No wall is perfect. people moan about the works and foundry. try living in birmingham for a while! (that now has 2 new walls and is much better!)

I disagree re da management and ideas. they moved the board onto a different angle - so from 50 degrees to 40. the holds were the wrong size for this angle and painful. the argument being it was more accessible to other punters. why would you need it to be accessible! there are plenty of resin 7a/bs in the wall. the board on the 50 started at 7b. its now moved again and is still on 40ish degree board. not ideal - the holds are too big for it. rant about the board over.

wtf have they done to the campus board now!!

the remaining wall I like, the comp wall and the adjacent roof bit are really good angles. you can tell when they have got vickers/cassidy/garden to set.
and when there is a big comp on and the setters are wanting to impress the standard can go up dramatically. when vickers set some green problems for the team last year, these were some of the best indoor problems I've had the pleasure of failing on
(the in house setting can be woeful. )
compared to logport there is so much more climbing to do, i find i will run out of problems at logport pretty quickly - elitist i may be but having about 10 (at a push) problems harder than v7 isn't going to keep you wanting to return.

(anyone its academic i've got a gammy elbone and i'm rumbling round 2as at the moment. )

Nike Air

• forum abuser
#9 Re: rock over reviews/opinions please
October 23, 2013, 09:36:30 am
Rockover is good, plenty to go at and like it has been said the staff are very pro active. I've never had problems with the safety regarding parking.
The new training facilities seem to be moving ahead well. The circuit board is a nice length and not to high. Not sure what is going on with the campus board height but I'm sure they can address that.
The beastmaker has moved and I've not been on it as it is but the old one was good enough to train for rainshadow on, ie font 7c+s. I'm sure harder problems are available if you think that is what you need.
by the time they get their rings up and free weights out it will be a very good place to train this winter and I'm sure you ll be able to find like minded types strutting their stuff up there like Saltbeef!

One major question about Stockport, why is it soooo hot all the time??

Serpico

• forum hero
    • The Craig Y Longridge Wiki
#10 Re: rock over reviews/opinions please
October 23, 2013, 10:02:43 am
Every time I go to Rockover I die a little inside.

saltbeef

• forum hero
#11 Re: rock over reviews/opinions please
October 23, 2013, 10:16:01 am
The heat is a ploy at logport, it makes all the hot young stuff such as yourself get their tops off.

Serps maybe if you went a bit more you'd get those extra few seconds? (I'm not sure about the one armer!) 

tomtom

• forum hero
#12 Re: rock over reviews/opinions please
October 23, 2013, 11:21:18 am
One major question about Stockport, why is it soooo hot all the time??

Its the crystal meth lab that lies behind the doors at the back they never open....

Nike Air

• forum abuser
#13 Re: rock over reviews/opinions please
October 23, 2013, 01:22:04 pm
probs just getting old serps!
The heat is a ploy at logport, it makes all the hot young stuff such as yourself get their tops off.

Serps maybe if you went a bit more you'd get those extra few seconds? (I'm not sure about the one armer!) 
every second counts!

saltbeef

• forum hero
#14 Re: rock over reviews/opinions please
October 23, 2013, 03:12:40 pm
I'm guessing quite alot of your cells are reaching their hayflick limit Serps!

Serpico

• forum hero
#15 Re: rock over reviews/opinions please
October 23, 2013, 10:48:39 pm
I'm guessing quite alot of your cells are reaching their hayflick limit Serps!

I'm going to have to google that.

Serpico

• forum hero
#16 Re: rock over reviews/opinions please
October 23, 2013, 10:50:50 pm
Googled it.  :chair:

Serpico

• forum hero
#17 Re: rock over reviews/opinions please
November 06, 2013, 12:05:21 pm
Shutting half the wall for route setting last night was an especially nice touch.  :wank:

davej

• obsessive maniac
  • up yours baby
#18 Re: rock over reviews/opinions please
November 06, 2013, 01:21:45 pm
Get to broughton it's open on a Tuesday eve!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal