Carb Supplements? (Read 12475 times)

SEDur

• stalker
  • Edam Tarquin
  • The future
Carb Supplements?
August 21, 2013, 07:57:32 pm
Hi everyone.
I know supplements are a hotly contested topic, so i will try and keep this concise.  :worms:

A friend of mine has been using a carb supplement powder (phd Waxyvol) (as opposed to whey protein or whatever) pre/post workout for the past for months, and he seems to be seeing the benefits.

Has anyone tried this form of post-workout nutrition?

Does anyone know of any good alternatives to Waxyvol?

Assuming that I want a quick, convenient carb supplement.

Cheers

Seb

• addict
#1 Re: Carb Supplements?
August 21, 2013, 10:14:55 pm
Jelly babies for quick sugar or oats for slower digested stuff maybe?

abarro81

• forum hero
#2 Re: Carb Supplements?
August 21, 2013, 10:32:33 pm
I find flapjack to be a delightful pre-climb carb supplement... Or banana if you don't want the fat supplement.

punkpunk

• player
#3 Re: Carb Supplements?
August 21, 2013, 10:40:53 pm
A lot of 'recovery' shakes use a four to one carb to protein mix?

krymson

• obsessive maniac
#4 Re: Carb Supplements?
August 22, 2013, 04:53:04 am
pre/post workout snacking or eating is definitely effective but carb supplements feel a bit silly to me
As others have mentioned there's so many foods out there naturally having easily digestible carbs for pre-fueling, or re-fueling, and the coveted 4:1 carb-protein mix for recovery.

We have to watch what we eat most of the time, but climbing is one period that we can have something a bit sugary to keep us going, and afterwards gorge a bit on otherwise pretty junky food and not feel guilty(beer & chips is approximately 4:1 right?   ;D ) .Why ruin the splurge?

« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 05:14:54 am by krymson »

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#5 Re: Carb Supplements?
August 22, 2013, 09:17:23 am
For a start, 4:1 is pretty much just hocus pocus. Proper trials show little or no difference between a standard energy drink (gatorade, lucozade etc.) and complex protein/carb shakes.

Secondly, really, Carb SUPPLEMENTS? You are a marketeers dream...

Like the other have said, just eat something healthy and carb rich.

Some SCIENCE: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3685561/

I love papers like this where they say in the results section things like this: 
However, according to the paired sample t-tests (Table  5) the results indicate no significant mean differences between VPX and iCHO
  but then contradict themselves in the conclusions by saying (presumably becuase they are paid to by the protein shake manufacturers) things like this:

This study strongly indicates that after intense activity, consumption of a complex protein beverage may favorably influence subsequent physical performance better than an isocaloric carbohydrate drink. Based on this information, complex protein beverages may provide advantages to individuals with acute physical stressors as well as tactical operators and high performance athletes. Additional research is warranted.

Even though the results say NO IMPROVEMENT. ha. Anyway, bottom line is don't waste your money.

SEDur

• stalker
  • Edam Tarquin
  • The future
#6 Re: Carb Supplements?
August 22, 2013, 12:34:26 pm
Awesome

I will continue to not waste my money.
Marketers dream my ass.

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#7 Re: Carb Supplements?
August 22, 2013, 04:20:20 pm
CARB SUPPLEMENT?

I can't begin to imagine that anybody who isn't a hunter-gatherer or a paleofetishist is in any way, shape or form carb deficient.

B-Bird

• regular
#8 Re: Carb Supplements?
August 22, 2013, 06:49:12 pm
Banana Flapjack! BOOM! And a cuppa tea

mikester

• regular
#9 Re: Carb Supplements?
August 22, 2013, 08:07:50 pm
Don't be fooled by the marketing: this stuff has zero carbs and tastes shit (but it stops your arse rusting)

Paul B

• forum hero
#10 Re: Carb Supplements?
August 23, 2013, 02:58:57 am
I'm mixing almost all of our water for the next wall with Gatorade powder as, I WANT all the calories I can get and its fairly handy just being able to swig some down (I'm certainly not putting any flapjacks in the bag). That, and half a KG of peach rings should provide plenty of simple carbs. If they don't then I'm fairly certain my body will start eating a leg shortly.

krymson

• obsessive maniac
#11 Re: Carb Supplements?
August 23, 2013, 03:58:41 am
that sounds like plenty. carbs make a difference but surprisingly little is needed.

My only fear with all these sweets is we're going to see an epidemic of climbers in the dentists chair.

"Good Lord, James, what happened to your teeth?"
"Carb supplements"

abarro81

• forum hero
#12 Re: Carb Supplements?
August 23, 2013, 07:49:02 am
The oher day I tried replacing flapjack to go ahead bars. It was a disaster. Flapjack is the true supplement of.choice

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#13 Re: Carb Supplements?
August 23, 2013, 03:26:07 pm
The idea of replacing carns with a supplement sounds very strange to me. But I'm Italian. I miss flapjack a lot. Can one do it on his own?

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#14 Re: Carb Supplements?
August 23, 2013, 03:37:46 pm
Google says so.

Paul B

• forum hero
#15 Re: Carb Supplements?
August 23, 2013, 09:18:48 pm
One good recent find has been Larabars, these are much nicer than the usual Clif bars and have considerably less crap in them (they're date based and I also found a blog which offered recipes for most of the flavours which looked simple to follow).

Key Lime Pie, Lemon, Apple Pie and Carrot Cake have all been winners so far.

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#16 Re: Carb Supplements?
August 23, 2013, 11:05:44 pm
One good recent find has been Larabars, these are much nicer than the usual Clif bars and have considerably less crap in them (they're date based and I also found a blog which offered recipes for most of the flavours which looked simple to follow).

Key Lime Pie, Lemon, Apple Pie and Carrot Cake have all been winners so far.

odwalla are really nice too. Lara bars are the ones that are marketed as 'women's' energy bars aren't they? At one with your feminine side? ;)  When i went on a wall i took cheese, salami and bagels. Seriously, that was way better than gels and flipping gatorade.

SEDur

• stalker
  • Edam Tarquin
  • The future
#17 Re: Carb Supplements?
August 24, 2013, 02:24:44 am
Supplement is a bad choice of word i guess. Powder?

I've seen those 'bounce' things around. Never tried one though, but they are meant to be made of good stuff (well science that is).
I asked a load of bouncers who all box and body build what they have, and the resounding reply was oats. Lots of oats.
Boxes of breakfast bars, and all that jazz.
Oats in protein shakes with water seemed to be quite popular with them and all.
Sounds, lovely.

One even said he liked to have a bunch of egg whites in chocolate milkshake, as a sort of home made protein shake.
Think i will leave that option be for the moment.

I think im going to try and figure out a way of adding various oaty into my diet over the coming months, and see how it pans out.
Doesn't solve the quick fix issue necessarily, but may be a step in the right direction...

abarro81

• forum hero
#18 Re: Carb Supplements?
August 24, 2013, 08:26:55 am
I would suggest that the archetypal body shape of a bouncer is perhaps not the one to aim for as a climber... Bounce balls/bars/whatever are well expensive and don't look particularly special from a quick google of the ingedients, what's 'well science' about them? Decide what you want, buy it from somewhere reasonably priced like myprotein and sack all the other stuff.

mikester

• regular
#19 Re: Carb Supplements?
August 24, 2013, 08:57:33 am
For a start, 4:1 is pretty much just hocus pocus. Proper trials show little or no difference between a standard energy drink (gatorade, lucozade etc.) and complex protein/carb shakes.

Secondly, really, Carb SUPPLEMENTS? You are a marketeers dream...

Like the other have said, just eat something healthy and carb rich.

Some SCIENCE: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3685561/

I love papers like this where they say in the results section things like this: 
However, according to the paired sample t-tests (Table  5) the results indicate no significant mean differences between VPX and iCHO
  but then contradict themselves in the conclusions by saying (presumably becuase they are paid to by the protein shake manufacturers) things like this:

This study strongly indicates that after intense activity, consumption of a complex protein beverage may favorably influence subsequent physical performance better than an isocaloric carbohydrate drink. Based on this information, complex protein beverages may provide advantages to individuals with acute physical stressors as well as tactical operators and high performance athletes. Additional research is warranted.

Even though the results say NO IMPROVEMENT. ha. Anyway, bottom line is don't waste your money.

There's actually good evidence supporting  a mixture of protein and carbs to improve recovery (perhaps more so in endurance spots), and unfortunately you've cherry picked a pretty odd example. Their study investigated 4:1 protein to carb, rather than the more usual 4:1 carb to protein which effectively makes it  protein shake, and the testing protocol isn't necessarily representative of many sports. More importantly, their results did find a significant difference between treatments (check out the RM-MANOVA results) suggesting protein-carb is more effective than carb alone.

Anyway, back to the original point: I can't imagine a situation where I'd struggle to find and consume carbs as and when I need them. They're everywhere and they're not magic.

psychomansam

• forum hero
#20 Re: Carb Supplements?
August 24, 2013, 10:35:14 am
So when I (was) do(ing) 3 hour+ runs, carbs get pretty serious. I.e. jelly babies just won't cut it. So instead, if it's a training run, i might dip down into a sheltered ditch (assuming i'm on top somewhere) and have a quick banana, or a hot cross bun, or even the panacea of cheap tranportable carbs, a tesco value 30p malt loaf. Actually, I can even chew on bits of malt loaf while running.

Admittedly for races, I would put some stuff in my bladder (the one in my bag, not the one above my pubic bone). I would sometimes buy the over-priced sherbert, and sometimes i'd make my own. (A mix of potassium chloride (lo-salt, it's lethal in high doses), sodium chloride (table salt), sodium bicarbonate (bicarb) and then some type of sugar+flavouring, i.e. orange juice, or just sugar + squash. It really makes fuck all difference what type of sugar you use - please ignore the marketing bullshit. I'd also use energy gels on a long race rather than banana/hotcross bun/malt loaf as I'm moving faster and they digest easier.*

Now the only climber I've ever heard of who I can even imagine needing to get into that type of stuff would be ueli steck, but I doubt even he finds a need.

Here's what you need: http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/tesco-price-comparison/bread/tesco_everyday_value_malt_loaf.html

*I took up a teaching post a year ago. The stress has destroyed my stomach so I can hardly run anymore. This has also made me fat, which isn't helping the climbing much. C'est la vie, I intend to hand in notice for the end of this next school year.

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#21 Re: Carb Supplements?
August 24, 2013, 01:01:33 pm
In the very probable case that I don't find corn syrup in supermarkets, what else can I use to make flapjack?
Honey?

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#22 Re: Carb Supplements?
August 24, 2013, 01:50:01 pm

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#23 Re: Carb Supplements?
August 24, 2013, 02:18:44 pm
In the very probable case that I don't find corn - OR GOLDEN - syrup in supermarkets, what else can I use to make flapjack?
Honey?
;)

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#24 Re: Carb Supplements?
August 24, 2013, 02:19:15 pm
Thanks anyway.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal