UKBouldering.com

5.10 Heel Syndrome (Read 2716 times)

Zen

5.10 Heel Syndrome
August 15, 2013, 09:51:25 pm
So after 9 months of wearing 5.10 shoes in all their wonderful/hideous forms I've started having some discomfort around my heels on both feet. It's not painful, more of a really, really dull sensation that comes on for a few seconds several times during the day, usually after I've been sitting/off of my feet for an extended period, or the first few steps after I get up in the morning.

If I press on a specific spot (about 1/3 of the way up the back of my foot between my heel and the ankle) the mild discomfort becomes mild pain, and on the odd occassion I heel hook this exact spot while climbing and loading my weight onto it, it's enough for me to retreat off the wall - it's the only time I feel like something might be genuinely wrong with my feet from climbing.

It's also worth noting that although I would say 5.10 heels are admittedly a little tight, the soreness around my heels after a session is no worse than my toes or the usual bout of fragile skin on my fingers after a session.

Oh, and I've had noisy joints for as long as I can remember so if there's been any popping or snapping in my ankles it's not stood out from the usual sounds. I swear some late night toilet treks up my hallway sound like I'm carrying snooker balls in my slippers. 

Thoughts?

DaveyDave

• addict
#1 Re: 5.10 Heel Syndrome
August 15, 2013, 10:33:24 pm
Achilles tendonitis? Got it once after wearing new hiking boots for ages. You could hear my ankle creaking when I walked. Wearing trainers for a month or two fixed it.  :shrug:

tomtom

• forum hero
#2 5.10 Heel Syndrome
August 16, 2013, 07:01:35 am
Webbo (on here) has had issues with Achiles and rock boots - to the extent he cut the back of them... Personally I just slip mine off at every opportunity to help save foot pain and keep them cool/dry...

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#3 Re: 5.10 Heel Syndrome
August 16, 2013, 08:37:08 am
Back in the nineties/ early noughties I used to cut the slingshot rand on the sides of Velcro heels to make them fit better. Since they redesigned it I don't bother, but they don't fit quite as well.

Might be worth a go - I didn't cut all the way through, just one or two cuts extending 5mm or so down from top, to allows the rubber to stretch more easily.

webbo

• forum hero
#4 Re: 5.10 Heel Syndrome
August 16, 2013, 09:12:51 am
If you look in the physio thread there is the advice I was given. mine seemed to come on after wearing a new pair of shoes. It got so bad I couldn't wear certain shoes.
Stretching and wearing shoes with the rand cut seems to have helped, I still get abit of discomfort.

fried

• forum hero
#5 Re: 5.10 Heel Syndrome
August 16, 2013, 09:19:20 am
There's a mod for the Blancos which might be some help. http://www.llanberisresoles.com/pages/mods.html

Andrew B

• regular
#6 Re: 5.10 Heel Syndrome
August 16, 2013, 09:55:07 am
There's a mod for the Blancos which might be some help. http://www.llanberisresoles.com/pages/mods.html

I did this and it worked. Used to get awful pain in my heels from these shoes, but cutting away one layer of the rubber released a lot of the pressure.

Zen

#7 Re: 5.10 Heel Syndrome
August 16, 2013, 07:38:14 pm
I'm a bit reluctant to slice into my fortnight-old, just-broken-in Dragons but I fear it might have to be done. Maybe I should try it on my spare, and similar, Teams first and see if it has any effect?

Paul B

• forum hero
#8 Re: 5.10 Heel Syndrome
August 16, 2013, 09:14:18 pm

I'll be trying that.

Verdes on anything vaguely long has so far been my solution to the awful achilles pain that Blancos generate. I'm not sure why the heel cup is so damn tight, its not as if its any good for hooking or anything.

Lund

• obsessive maniac
#9 Re: 5.10 Heel Syndrome
August 19, 2013, 03:17:36 pm
I bought a pair of five ten projects when they were being discontinued and were thus well cheap.

If I wear them for a long period, they make my right heel hurt; it takes a couple of days to totally recover.  Hence consigned to the bin.  Don't get it with any other shoes.  So... I second the idea of either different shoes or a modification...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal