October 21, 2013, 09:19:14 pm
I'm sure the cunts in charge will just abolish the law anyway.  :wank:

finbarrr

• obsessive maniac

tomtom

• forum hero
#128 Re: Fracking
January 13, 2014, 12:40:44 pm
The word 'bribe' has been bounded around the media. As a description of the policy its about right I recon...

None of the anti fracking groups in the UK are pedalling the Carbon heavy line... which to me is the strongest argument. Green Tory government my arse.

Maybe those local govt kickbacks will help pay for the flood defences as the sea continues to rise... (I am being sarcy..)

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#129 Re: Fracking
January 13, 2014, 05:30:16 pm
It is a bribe and one which most councils will find hard to turn down seeing as they've been shafted by the cuts. You couldn't make it up etc.

petejh

• forum hero
#130 Re: Fracking
January 13, 2014, 08:49:01 pm
What would you (Slackers, Finbarr, Jasper, TomTom et al) rather see, if not shale gas? Just curious, because all I see is complaints against, without suggestions of anything better.

Nuclear. Massive solar parks. Massive tidal barrages. Massive windfarms. Ratcliffe-on-Soar power station burning train-loads of coal imported from Russia. North Sea gas and oil. Hydro. Hydro battery schemes in the Lake District and Snowdonia.

Or do you all have mini-hydro and geo-thermal schemes in your back gardens and solar PV on your rooftops and are going to hunker down through the blackout, waiting for cold fusion to arrive?

tomtom

• forum hero
#131 Re: Fracking
January 13, 2014, 08:55:14 pm
Pete:
Severn tidal barrage yes. Solar farms are great (not visible if sighted correctly). Solar PV on houses is a great idea (look at Germany for example) and yes more wind. Though much of this (aside from the Severn) is a stopgap for the time taken to add more Nuclear.

We've got to kick this carbon habit...

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#132 Re: Fracking
January 13, 2014, 09:30:52 pm
What would you (Slackers, Finbarr, Jasper, TomTom et al) rather see, if not shale gas? Just curious, because all I see is complaints against, without suggestions of anything better.

Nuclear. Massive solar parks. Massive tidal barrages. Massive windfarms. Ratcliffe-on-Soar power station burning train-loads of coal imported from Russia. North Sea gas and oil. Hydro. Hydro battery schemes in the Lake District and Snowdonia.

Or do you all have mini-hydro and geo-thermal schemes in your back gardens and solar PV on your rooftops and are going to hunker down through the blackout, waiting for cold fusion to arrive?

I don't have much of an opinion about fracking as I've not done enough reading to make an informed decision.  I linked the above story not specifically because of fracking but the pernicious way the government have gone about gandering support for it by putting the squeeze on councils and then dangling a carrot in front of them if they go with fracking.  I'd rather see such efforts used to encourage development of sustainable/renewable energy sources as fracking is just as finite as all other fossil fuel resources and adds to CO2 emissions (an obvious downside which I don't need to do much reading to work out as its self-evident).

I've thought for a long time that whilst the technology for nuclear fission, solar, wind, wave and tidal are being developed we should fall back on nuclear fusion.  Its too late now, but it would have been great if more work had been done years ago on using thorium rather than plutonium or uranium.  Far, far superior in terms of abundance, greater energy output (in part from the breeder reactor aspect), substantially lower half-lifes so less problematic waste to deal with, although it needs a kick-start from something like Uranium and there are other drawbacks as Wikipedia explains.  It was clearly ignored as it didn't have the handy artefact of producing fuel for nuclear weapons  :wall:

petejh

• forum hero
#133 Re: Fracking
January 13, 2014, 10:17:44 pm
I see. So wind farms are ok, despite the huge loss of efficiency of cabling ashore the electricity. And despite the fact that there is virtually no long-term evidence of how much maintenance and down-time the turbines require. It's already becoming apparent, 5-10 years down the line from the first offshore windfarms going online, that the quoted lifetime for blades and motors are way too optimistic - the rope access technicians who work for me have been repairing blades at a rate of every 2 years - not the figures given by manufacturers (7-10 years). I predict another Trawsfynydd on a large scale (nuclear cocncrete monolith in the middle of Snowdonia, useful life of 20 years, for those unaware). Offshore wind power is a massive ripoff and we're going to wake up in twenty years, look out to sea and wonder what the fuck we were thinking. IMO.

Tidal barrages are ok? But the impact on estuary wildlife is quite severe from the studies I've seen/heard about? Kill the fish and birdlife, as long as we don't emit carbon  :-\  Just saying.

Nuclear is ok? - why is nuclear acceptable and fracking isn't? Because it isn't carbon-emitting? What about the inescapable fact that we have to have gas - for heating and to fuel gas-fired power stations -  nothing is going to change that in the next 15-20 years so it makes a lot of sense to have our own supply of gas instead of importing it via pipelines and LNG shipments from Russia.

tomtom

• forum hero
#134 Re: Fracking
January 13, 2014, 10:38:24 pm
You're forgetting about the damage to the part of the planet where the coal/oil/gas came from - which (nowadays) isn't at home - so thats alright then...

Have a look at the pics of  the Yorks/Notts coalfields 30-40 years ago.. or the coast up nr Sunderland when they were chucking the coal waste into the sea.. Prefer that to rows of matchsticks on the horizon of an offshore wind setup?

Been over to Easington recently - or the LPG terminal in Pembroke? Attractive non? Ah - I forget the concentric rings in my cuppa that the 6 trains that rumble 1/2 mile past my house every day (in Hull) leave on their way from the docks to Drax...

Google open cast coal mining. Or have a look at pics where the oil sands being mined in Canada at the moment.. luuurvely...

As a developed country - I think we are in a better position to make choices about where our energy comes from than many nations. And I think these choices should be less carbon intensive....

petejh

• forum hero
#135 Re: Fracking
January 13, 2014, 11:21:49 pm
No I'm not - you're completely missing my point. My point is not that it's not ok to use coal or gas from Eastern Europe - I think that's retarded, so blatantly retarded. But we therefore need something other than Eastern European coal and gas. And Wind/Tidal isn't going to fill the gap, so what is going to fill the gap? Nuclear. Except that takes 15-20 years to build. So what are you going to use for the next 15-20 years? Now fracking comes along, of course it makes sense compared to the 'alternatives'.
Fracking versus coal/gas from Eastern Europe. Shit versus double shit.

Windfarms - they aren't on 'the horizon'. They're right in front of my nose everyday I look out to sea from Llandudno. The horizon is 22 miles away, the windfarms are right fucking there.. They piss me off a little bit. And they're covered in lights at night. And they're inefficient and constantly needing repair. In short they're bollocks and I'm convinced there's a French dude pissing himself laughing at our expenses for being such muppets to buy hook line and sinker the bullshit sold to us by energy companies, because we thought it would be all green and cast rainbows.
Google open cast coal mining. Or have a look at pics where the oil sands being mined in Canada at the moment.. luuurvely...

I actually worked on the oil sands in Northern Alberta for two and a half years, at 3 of the (then 6) refineries and have seen first-hand the damage, pollution and scale of the place and know how many mega tonnes of carbon Suncor and Horizon emit per year, which is why I know trying to save carbon with windmills is a drop in the ocean, literally.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 11:40:48 pm by petejh »

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#136 Re: Fracking
January 14, 2014, 07:51:20 am
And Wind/Tidal isn't going to fill the gap, so what is going to fill the gap? Nuclear. Except that takes 15-20 years to build. So what are you going to use for the next 15-20 years? Now fracking comes along, of course it makes sense compared to the 'alternatives'.

You're correct about the energy gap - wind cannot meet this, tidal could definitely offset some of the gas (both open stream as in the Pentland Firth 86MW tidal array and barrages - yes, it'll fuck up some habitat, but it'll be the very same habitat that gets fucked by the rising sea levels.)

So, gas is going to play a big part in the next 15 -30 years. No one in industry (green or fossil) will deny that. We have made our bed by being too slow and too weak to sort out any proper alternatives and we will have to lie in it.

Now, we have quite big offshore gas resource in the UK. There's still plenty gas out there and it's well known how to get it out and what the side effects are. Fracking just seems immensely risky when you look at the previous attempts. Why bother?

Windfarms - they aren't on 'the horizon'. They're right in front of my nose everyday I look out to sea from Llandudno. The horizon is 22 miles away, the windfarms are right fucking there.. They piss me off a little bit. And they're covered in lights at night. And they're inefficient and constantly needing repair. In short they're bollocks and I'm convinced there's a French dude pissing himself laughing at our expenses for being such muppets to buy hook line and sinker the bullshit sold to us by energy companies, because we thought it would be all green and cast rainbows.

Right, let's start with the word I hate the most when comparing low-carbon vs high-carbon energy sources: - Efficiency. It means nothing. Really, the only metrics worth discussing are the cost/unit energy (£/MWH etc.) and the carbon (and other) emissions.

Put it this way, let's compare coal to wind:

Coal - ~40% "Efficiency"
Wind - 20% to 40% (dependant on wind spee)

What does this really tell you? Nothing. One technology needs open cast mines, rail and ship delivery etc. The other uses wind - who cares if it's not used very efficiently, it's free!!

So, then you have to think about the cost of constructing each and the price of the fuel and the cost of running etc. Then the picture gets worse for wind, especially offshore, as coal is still a relatively cheap source of fuel when you add everything up.

That's why we need either subsidies, or a carbon tax, to make cleaner energies seem cheaper.

In my mind we have 2 alternatives - 1) Keep trying to convince ourselves that we can live of cheap energy and continue to fuck the planet - nice long term thinking there!
or 2) accept that the cost of living is going to have to increase for a while to prevent serious damage to the environment.

The bottom line is, it seems your main objections are based on: Looks, a bogus belief that efficiency matters and not really accepting that we are fucking the planet with carbon and other emissions.

Do you think that because wind can't cover all our needs we shouldn't have any?

tomtom

• forum hero
#137 Re: Fracking
January 14, 2014, 08:25:59 am
No I'm not - you're completely missing my point.

Maybe try and explain yourself better first? :p

Our present wind and RE expansion plan (that has gone on hold since the change of Government) along with an expansion of gas power stations (that does not seem to have gone on hold since the change of Government) was designed to fill the energy gap. But wobbles in the future of the tarrif paid, whether we are going to be in Europe or not have seen the big RE companies stall or in some cases pull out. So we now have a larger energy gap. At least thats what the wind RE people I know have told me..

PS: Retarded is not the best word to use.

csurfleet

• menacing presence
#138 Re: Fracking
January 14, 2014, 08:30:23 am
Nuclear (thorium) - with offshore gas to fill the gap. I do also think that a lot more people should be investing in household solar - both water and electric, but I can't talk as I haven't...

Stubbs

#139 Re: Fracking
January 14, 2014, 08:46:27 am

I actually worked on the oil sands in Northern Alberta for two and a half years, at 3 of the (then 6) refineries and have seen first-hand the damage, pollution and scale of the place and know how many mega tonnes of carbon Suncor and Horizon emit per year, which is why I know trying to save carbon with windmills is a drop in the ocean, literally.

There is a lot of NIMBYism around the windfarms, I feel the opposite, they make me feel happy every time I drive past them at the thought of energy being created from thin air! The idea of them needing repairs and having down time as a point against them is laughable; I'm sure you will have driven along the M56 and seen one of the Ellesmere Port refineries flaring off fuel because it's too expensive to turn the cracker off?  Having downtime on a turbine seems somewhat sedate in comparison.

Secondly if that's your stance re: other countries having massive carbon outputs (China 'winning' by miles) why would you be bothered at all about us using gas from Asia and Eastern Europe, we may as well get on with it as we are not the worst right?!

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#140 Re: Fracking
January 14, 2014, 09:34:20 am
Current wind farms are new technology too, design and materials will improve, just like any other piece of machinery.

We could also all try and use less energy in the first place?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#141 Re: Fracking
January 14, 2014, 10:04:09 am
I see. So wind farms are ok, despite the huge loss of efficiency of cabling ashore the electricity. And despite the fact that there is virtually no long-term evidence of how much maintenance and down-time the turbines require. It's already becoming apparent, 5-10 years down the line from the first offshore windfarms going online, that the quoted lifetime for blades and motors are way too optimistic - the rope access technicians who work for me have been repairing blades at a rate of every 2 years - not the figures given by manufacturers (7-10 years). I predict another Trawsfynydd on a large scale (nuclear cocncrete monolith in the middle of Snowdonia, useful life of 20 years, for those unaware). Offshore wind power is a massive ripoff and we're going to wake up in twenty years, look out to sea and wonder what the fuck we were thinking. IMO.

Tidal barrages are ok? But the impact on estuary wildlife is quite severe from the studies I've seen/heard about? Kill the fish and birdlife, as long as we don't emit carbon  :-\  Just saying.

Nuclear is ok? - why is nuclear acceptable and fracking isn't? Because it isn't carbon-emitting? What about the inescapable fact that we have to have gas - for heating and to fuel gas-fired power stations -  nothing is going to change that in the next 15-20 years so it makes a lot of sense to have our own supply of gas instead of importing it via pipelines and LNG shipments from Russia.

Its disingenuous to polarise one energy source v's another v's another as the solution isn't one or the other, but a bit of everything that is required accompanied by a reduction in consumption.

All have pros and cons, and that includes fracking the disadvantages of which are highlighted elsewhere in this thread, but with current usage levels there is little choice.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 10:17:04 am by slackline »

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#142 Re: Fracking
January 14, 2014, 10:10:40 am
they make me feel happy every time I drive past them at the thought of energy being created from thin air!

Me too.

Plus the early signs are that offshore windfarms are very good news for biodiversity. The foundations create artificial reefs and, more importantly, the trawlers can't get in amongst them. You won't get such spin-offs from fracking.

I also think they are becoming a serious source of power faster than people realise.  In Denmark, wind energy output exceeded 100% of the country's needs on Nov 3rd - not just powering a whole country but generating export profits too! In 2013, they provided more of Spain's energy than any other source (21%). In Portugal, 70% of power was generated by renewables in Q1 2013. We are a little behind in the Uk, but last month wind provided more than 10% of total energy needs for the first time - peaking at 17% on the 21st Dec.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#143 Re: Fracking
January 14, 2014, 10:25:21 am
Must have been a pretty windy day! Guess demand will drop in summer months too, in spite of it being theoretically less windy.

petejh

• forum hero
#145 Re: Fracking
January 14, 2014, 11:02:50 am
I'm not anti wind, anti gas, anti nuclear, anti fracking, anti coal even.

This is what I'm anti. I'm anti people whinging and bleating about the inevitable development of opportunities as they arise, especially if they can't propose an equally good realistic alternative. Bleat on about Thorium and tidal arrays, I agree everything should be pursued. But Thorium isn't going to heat your semi-detached anytime soon, or supply you with electricity.

Gas is required now and for the medium term. Virtually everyone still needs oil for transport and manufacturing. I'd give even the most ardent climate-change neurotic 7 days in a country shut down due to the oil and gas supply being cut off, before they developed a new set of beliefs about climate change.

The bigger picture - shale gas in the UK hasn't 'only just' become known about, it's been known about for years but the political and economic picture didn't make it worth pursuing. Now Scotland are possibly splitting in the near future and suddenly, as if out of thin air, shale gas comes over the horizon (one covered in windmills perhaps). Shale gas is a very sensible hedge against volatility surrounding Scottish North Sea oil/gas. Also, it's a very powerful political hedge against one of Alex Salmond's biggest bargaining chips.
The political picture changes as soon as the rest of the UK, post Scotland leaving, have a secure supply of gas for the next 20 years thanks, and perhaps as a consequence the price of gas goes down - and part of Scotland's future revenue stream suddenly doesn't add up to as many billions as it did prior to shale gas being developed. I don't think it's a co-incidence that fracking is being fast-tracked this year of all years.

Pointing out that windfarms need downtime and repair = laughable? What? Why is it laughable to point out the cons of anything? I too get a glowing feeling from seeing turbines producing electricity on windy days - that's one of the pros. But it's sensible to question how much total electricity a turbine produces and to point out that the downtime due to blade and motor repair is way higher than originally claimed by the energy companies and investors. I was speaking to someone last week and they were telling me about the carbon fibre repairs they'd carried out on blades and how they last about 2-3 years in some cases before the next repair. Windfarms have just as many investors looking for good returns as any other investment opportunity, they aren't some angelic creation there for the greater good. Consumers will foot part of the cost if wind farms aren't profitable. I've got serious doubts we'll be thinking the same about wind farms in 20 years time if the current schedule of downtime and repair is anything to go by. The electricity they produce also isn't 'free' - the time, money and public/political will invested in wind farms are all finite resources which haven't been invested in some other source of electricity generation (Thorium perhaps...) as a consequence.

It's amazing and interesting how an opposing voice in debates like these often gets labelled as that of a climate-change denier - hence:
Secondly if that's your stance re: other countries having massive carbon outputs (China 'winning' by miles) why would you be bothered at all about us using gas from Asia and Eastern Europe, we may as well get on with it as we are not the worst right?!

Where have I said  that!?? You're putting ideas into my post that I didn't type and don't think.

I do however think if you're trying to make important decisions then you need to try to understand as much as possible about the larger context, and understand what saving some thousands of tonnes of carbon actually means overall. Especially if you're using 'saving x thousand tonnes of carbon' as a justification for something. It isn't defeatist to understand that it might not really make any difference in the long term to make compromises in the short-term. I also don't think any UK political party has that sort of long term policy, but that's a whole other discussion. The public and media aren't blameless there for not allowing a system to exist in which long term policies are allowed to  take precedence over short-term gratification.

This:
both open stream as in the Pentland Firth 86MW tidal array and barrages - yes, it'll fuck up some habitat, but it'll be the very same habitat that gets fucked by the rising sea levels

= the utilitarian view. Also, invest in sun-cream and jet skies.

edit: TomTom, 'retarded' = fine in my view.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 11:14:43 am by petejh »

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#146 Re: Fracking
January 14, 2014, 12:21:31 pm
yes, it'll fuck up some habitat, but it'll be the very same habitat that gets fucked by the rising sea levels

This sounds like an extremely spurious point. I doubt very much if sea levels will rise quick enough to 'fuck up some habitat'. I think its far more likely rising seas will force cultivated land to be handed back to nature. I did an access job a few years ago involving exactly this - knocking down the sea wall on the Essex coast to return good farmland to saltmarsh and hence reduce storm surge pressure on the Thames barrier.

Whereas I think tidal barrages will have a serious effect on habitat. I'm undecided as to whether the benefits will make this worthwhile, and would prefer to see tidal turbine arrays developed.

petejh

• forum hero
#147 Re: Fracking
January 14, 2014, 12:48:40 pm
Precisely. Common in debates about energy/climate change are fallacies such as 'building scheme x will directly result in sea level rise' or 'not building scheme y will lead to sea-levels rising'. 

There's a theory which describes how, in order to invent and put into mainstream use new, non-fossil-fuel, energy technologies, you need current sources of energy or else the whole system collapses in on itself. This is how I see shale gas, oil, coal, gas, wind, tidal, solar etc., as current sources of energy to hopefully enable us to get far enough down the road to better technologies. If we run out of current energy sources too soon, or run out of the will to keep pursuing the expensive alternatives (in terms of investment and energy expended) it's called the energy trap:  http://physics.ucsd.edu/do-the-math/2011/10/the-energy-trap/

Climate change is something different again. An unintended consequence which we're going to have to endure and try to manage the best we can, because the consequences for the developed world of falling into the energy trap might be far worse than the consequences of climate change (for the developed world. For the developing world it's the other way around).
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 01:02:13 pm by petejh »

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#148 Re: Fracking
January 14, 2014, 12:58:35 pm
There's a theory which describes how, in order to invent and put into mainstream use new, non-fossil-fuel, energy technologies, you need current sources of energy or else the whole system collapses in on itself. This is how I see shale gas, oil, coal, gas, wind, tidal, solar etc., as current sources of energy to hopefully enable us to get far enough down the road to better technologies.

:agree: and that is what I was trying to convey (but appear to have failed to do so).

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#149 Re: Fracking
January 14, 2014, 01:00:10 pm
Common in debates about energy/climate change are fallacies such as 'building scheme x will directly result in sea level rise' or 'not building scheme y will lead to sea-levels rising'.

They may not be fallacies. My point was that sea level changes will affect people far more than wildlife. Therefore justifying habitat loss from power plants with that lost to sea level change is bollocks.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal