UKBouldering.com

Injured shoulders from jumping into water (Read 3579 times)

Steve R

• forum abuser
Injured shoulders from jumping into water
August 01, 2013, 09:39:23 pm
Getting on for  a month ago, I did a little bridge jump and, because the pool was quite shallow, I used my arms to slow me down more quickly on hitting the water.  I've done plenty of this sort of thing (DWS, etc.) in the past and never had any issues but I seem to have caused problems in both shoulders this time.  Annoyingly, slightly adrenalised at the time, I did the jump a couple of times without realising I was doing much damage. :slap: Fortunately, straight afterwards I sensibly went home and rested them I I got on the most shouldery route at my grade in the area - crux all out jump into reverse crucifix  :slap: :slap: :slap: I'm sure other people must've suffered this from DWS if you don't tuck your arms right and the water rags them up?  Anyway, I would trawl the net first before asking but I have a lousy connection at the moment so, any recommendations on what I should be doing to sort them?  They've improved slowly just with stretches, press-ups and and theraband stuff based on basic knowledge and intuition but thought it worth an ask for more advice if it's a common(ish) one.  It actually hurt a fair bit to lift and cross my arms in front of me at first but I can climb and day to day stuff fine now.   Breaking the lock from fully straight arm seems to be the main problem area and can sometimes sense an unpleasant pinching effect when hanging from fully locked arms....... Standard rotator cuff malfunction?  For what it's worth, I think the water jump just precipitated an underlying problem/weakness/inbalance so keen to try and get a good solution.  Sorry, rambling.  Any help much appreciated. 

Wood FT

• forum hero
crux all out jump into reverse crucifix

Steve R

• forum abuser
yup, thanks. number of the beast meee

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal