UKBouldering.com

Yoga masters I need help. (Read 7700 times)

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
Yoga masters I need help.
July 24, 2013, 06:45:34 pm
So I went to the ostheo today. He told me that I have no structural problems because I am very flexible with some looseness that keeps things somehow going. My postural problems seem to come from tense muscles (d'oh) and fasciae. He strongly advised doing some yoga once a week, to stretch said muscles and fasciae e get postural benefits. In particular Ashtanga.
So, now almost every gym here is closed, I searched a bit on the net and was wondering if I could try and do something on my own at home to start the ball rolling.
Will it be a good idea?
Will it be beneficial or the risk of doing it wrong is too high?
Is there any tutorial video or the likes to recommend?
Thanks.

fried

• forum hero
#1 Re: Yoga masters I need help.
July 24, 2013, 07:08:02 pm
Oesteo, yoga, you'll be doing some aura therapy or somesuch next ;)

Try starting with this. A mirror is a good idea if you can't find a teacher to correct your posture.

There's tons of stuff available, too much probably.

Remember, flexibility and overall tone are secondary aims in yoga.

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#2 Re: Yoga masters I need help.
July 24, 2013, 07:17:12 pm
Oesteo, yoga, you'll be doing some aura therapy or somesuch next
God forbid.
I'll only do it to help my poor body bear the training I'm going to inflict him over the next 45 years.

Dr T

• forum hero
#3 Re: Yoga masters I need help.
July 24, 2013, 07:32:31 pm
Mrs T subscribes to yoga today it's not much and it's regularly updated
When our broadband was dodgy for a while she also bought a couple for download - again pretty cheap

If I just want a quick stretch I also use these two off of youtube

There's a lot of hippie speak in most of the yoga stuff I've done but if you can ignore it the benefits are there..

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#4 Re: Yoga masters I need help.
July 24, 2013, 10:04:36 pm
David Swenson is the master. His book 'The Practice Manual' is err..just that. A manual, spiral bound so it stays open on the floor, that takes you through every posture in the primary and intermediate series, complete with pictures, explanations and adjustments to make them easier. Don't be confused by the names. Most peopl;e never master the Primary Series, let alone the Intermediate or Advanced A, B and C series.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#5 Re: Yoga masters I need help.
July 24, 2013, 10:58:16 pm
I'm no master, nor have any real knowledge. But I've been using yoga DVDs at home for 18 months... About 2.5 hours a week. It's taken 8 years off my skeletal age and I'm no longer dependant on pain killers and my core is the best it's ever been. And the meditations aspect... My greatest sceptic... Is one I would now never be without.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#6 Re: Yoga masters I need help.
July 25, 2013, 08:51:36 am
Where's hongkongstuey when you need him?

If there are no classes available doing some from a DVD or online is better than nothing. Otherwise follow the good advice given below, but don't go into it too "full on" just work yourself into it.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
#7 Re: Yoga masters I need help.
July 25, 2013, 09:19:54 am
I'm no master, nor have any real knowledge.

I bet you say that to all your patients  ;D

It does what it says on the tin I think, you don't have to buy into any belief system, if something works, experience will demonstrate that. I've been very lazy over recent years but now feel stiff -and injured- so am going to make a bit of effort.

The way I see it, if this stuff didn't work, the Hindus would have given up on it at some point over the last 6,000 years..

ardeer

• player
#8 Re: Yoga masters I need help.
July 25, 2013, 11:45:11 am

maybe a wee bit useful?

ive considered doing some yoga but the hippy factor gets to me!

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
#9 Re: Yoga masters I need help.
July 25, 2013, 12:08:51 pm

you don't have to buy into any belief system, if something works, experience will demonstrate that.

..... over the last 6,000 years..

Durbs

• forum hero
#10 Re: Yoga masters I need help.
July 25, 2013, 01:49:27 pm
I've downloaded the Judy Yoga for Climbers video above - it's a good workout, but very dynamic, so quite strengthening as opposed to balancing.

I'd also reccomend Daily Yoga app for Android (maybe iPhone too) - mostly free (there are some pay-for sessions).

Probably best to have an actual teacher, at least at first, to ensure your posture/stances are sound before doing it yourself at home.

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#11 Re: Yoga masters I need help.
July 26, 2013, 11:01:41 am
I do 3 or 4 yoga classes a week (I'm also starting aerial yoga classes tonight :w00t: ) and bits and pieces at home too and although you do get a lot of good stuff online, as linked above, there isn't really a substitute for going to a couple of classes and having your postures corrected by someone who knows what they are doing. 

To get the full benefit you really do need to be doing the postures correctly and the easiest way to know that you are is to do them with someone who can correct you, the slightest difference in how you are positioned can have a massive effect on what the stretches do.  I know a lot of people practice at home but for me the thing that has brought me on the most is being corrected, even if it's just fractionally, by a teacher.  Sometimes even just having on hip or foot moved half an inch can totally change the way the positions feel, even daft stuff like having your head at the right angle can make a big change in how your body works in the positions.

I don't think you have to go to classes to feel the benefits but I think if you want to get the most out of yoga then a few classes to start off with could be really beneficial.  That's not to say that if you don't do classes you shouldn't do yoga, it's just my personal opinion that you'll get a lot more out of it if you have someone to show you the basics correctly and give you something to build on.

Yoga Journal has a lot of good stuff on it and is worth a look: http://www.yogajournal.com/

hongkongstuey

• forum hero
    • http://www.hongkongclimbing.com
#12 Re: Yoga masters I need help.
July 27, 2013, 02:19:39 pm
Where's hongkongstuey when you need him?

If there are no classes available doing some from a DVD or online is better than nothing. Otherwise follow the good advice given below, but don't go into it too "full on" just work yourself into it.

Here I am - my advice, hit www.yogaglo.com and follow some of the structured beginner stuff on there to get the basics before trying to follow any manuals etc.  much bett value than a DVD

Jason Crandell is very good for alignment stuff, Tifffany Cruickshanks for some more general fun style classes. Noah Maze and Darren Rhodes and Dice Ida Khan for when you want to try out the funky stuff.  But overall, try a few out and see what you like.  I think Tara Judelle has a beginner series that would also be good to look up on there.

Enjoy

hongkongstuey

• forum hero
#13 Re: Yoga masters I need help.
July 27, 2013, 02:26:29 pm
Here you go: http://www.yogaglo.com/beginner-center.php

From these I'd look at the ones by Tara and Dice and then hit some of the general Level 1 and 2 classes on offer

As you're pretty strong from climbing (or so I gather....) have a play with some of the arm balance and inversion classes to keep it a bit playful (DIce and Noah are both good for these)

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#14 Re: Yoga masters I need help.
July 27, 2013, 02:30:21 pm
Cheers everyone!
Seems that I have no more excuses now. I only have to drill into my mind that there is no such thing as a PB or a 1 max rep in yoga.
It seems hard.

hongkongstuey

• forum hero
#15 Re: Yoga masters I need help.
July 27, 2013, 02:47:06 pm
Maybe give ashtanga a go after a short while in that case as following the same sequence again and again will give you something to measure progress against - although some postures in primary will be difficult to do well (safely) without guidance

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#16 Re: Yoga masters I need help.
July 27, 2013, 08:34:52 pm
no such thing as a PB... in yoga.

Oh there definitely is, even when you're just doing oms. You'll know it when it happens...

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
#17 Re: Yoga masters I need help.
July 27, 2013, 08:48:59 pm
no such thing as a PB... in yoga.

when you're just doing oms.
p

Is that when your body provides the resistance?

krymson

• obsessive maniac
#18 Re: Yoga masters I need help.
July 28, 2013, 07:23:58 am
 :clap2:

We had a british professor sub in one day for our regular EE circuits prof and he taught us what "semens" where and then proceeded to teach the entire class in "semens".
Could not stop cracking up  ;D

mark s

• junky
#19 Re: Yoga masters I need help.
July 29, 2013, 01:48:55 pm
from deadlifting to yoga ??? tut tut

like going to windgather and seeing gaskins wearing ron hills roped up on a v.s

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#20 Re: Yoga masters I need help.
July 29, 2013, 03:52:17 pm
I knew I was up for some banter with this thread, but I really need to do something to keep my body in balance!
When I went to the ostheo, one doctor is a very good friend of mine and knows me well, the other one was new, and when she was looking at me she kept muttering "it's all wrong"...
The following day I was in the gym doing snatch pulls as if there were no tomorrow.

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#21 Re: Yoga masters I need help.
July 29, 2013, 04:58:09 pm
Yoga is the perfect balance to climbing and / or lifting weights, I think.

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#22 Re: Yoga masters I need help.
July 29, 2013, 05:08:37 pm
Yoga is the perfect balance to climbing and / or lifting weights, I think.
:agree:

While I'm off and on with my Yoga, my body feels much better after doing it....

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal