UKBouldering.com

Mid/North Wales shady/cool recommendations this weekend. (Read 2896 times)

Dolly

• forum hero

Looks like I'll be stuck in Wales this weekend as I need to be in work here on Sunday and won't have time to go home. So, I'm after info on where to go to boulder that won't be baking hot and give me a chance to get a few hours in.
I'm in Aberystwyth so really anywhere within a couple of hours from there will be OK
Any suggestions welcome thanks

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
My Mid Wales geography is not the best however a gander at Owen's Esoteric Bouldering Guide may give some pointers? Maybe Clarach Bay or Borth might fit the bill?

Dolly

• forum hero
Thanks - I was at Clarach last night. Good for a short sess but its very sheltered and even at 8pm I was sweating like a dog as there's no breeze.

I ended up taking my shorts off and just climbing in my pants. I thought that would be safe and I'd be able to hear if anyone came across the shingle beach only to see a balding middle age man with chalky hands stood in his pants sweating profusely and grumbling at the sweaty rock
Borth looks interesting but looks like you need to be in an investigative frame of mind to enjoy it

tomtom

• forum hero
THeres some boulders up on Plynlymon... bit of a walk in but its easy (big track) and usually deserted.. you can go for a swim in the lake afterwards!! It wont be shady or mega cool - but is higher...

tomtom

• forum hero
Or - north end of the beach at Aber has some caves/places to play.. will get the sun in the afternoon though..

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
Moel y Gest is very shady, and even if you did climb in your undies I doubt you'd meet anybody there. There's a topo in this news item:

http://www.northwalesbouldering.com/newsitem.asp?nsid=411

http://www.northwalesbouldering.com/newsitem.asp?nsid=431

There's good stuff at Trawsfynydd, Tan y Grisiau (you can get a topo here: http://www.anturstiniog.com/activities-north-wales-climbing-bouldering/  ) and Cae Du but they will probably be roasting hot.

There's some good shady stuff in the Pass but I guess that would be too far? If you do go - try wandering around the Cwm Glas Bach/Bryn Hel area. I've been checking stuff here for the new guide over the last week and experienced some remarkably decent conditions given the heat. Lots of cool 6s and 7s to go at.

Dolly

• forum hero
Thanks for the replies and cheers for the links Pantontino

tomtom

• forum hero
Tan y Grisiau is a great spot - worth a visit, great rock - really grippy. South facing is normally and asset, but in this weather.... :/

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut

underground

• forum hero
If the Inn on the Pier is still doing £1.20 a pint all day, I'd go in there ;)

Dolly

• forum hero

Dolly

• forum hero
£3.60 for a pint of shit lager !
I only went in cos it was in The Guardian's top ten places to drink in Britain (or summat like that)

tomtom

• forum hero
£3.60 for a pint of shit lager !
I only went in cos it was in The Guardian's top ten places to drink in Britain (or summat like that)

It was tarted up 8 or 9 years ago.. The Snooker club on the peir had the same views and much cheaper beer...

I expect Rummers (next/below the bridge over the river) is still a half decent boozer...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal