UKBouldering.com

Euro Sport Trip - Training feedback wanted. (Read 1859 times)

rosmat

• menacing presence
So I'm Looking for some advice / feedback from those wiser than me.

I'm off on a month long Euro sport trip starting at the beginning of August (6 weeks from now).  :2thumbsup:

I've been following a training plan for the last 9 - 10 weeks, starting with a base strength phase and now transitioning to endurance.

I'd like advice on the next 6 weeks and how best to use the time - bearing in mind that I'll be away for a month and so will have some time to build endurance when out there.

Plan I've been following is linked below (completed sessions in green).

http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p783/rosmat76/RM_15_Week_Plan_zps7716f9db.png

Any feedback, help or advice much appreciated.

Cheers

abarro81

• forum hero
What's 'Bol endurance' and 'Bol strength'?

At first glance you've not got any bouldering?? Is that because you can't get to a wall? I would have more strength work - preferably snappy bouldering - immediately before the trip to make sure you're going out feeling strong. Don't forget to taper - keep sessions short (high intensity, low volume) in the last couple of weeks.

rosmat

• menacing presence
Thanks Alex.

Bol strength = Bouldering strength session

Bol endurance = Bouldering endurance session e.g. 4 x 4s.

Wasn't particularly planning to do any indoor routes, and I believe (maybe wrongly) that circuits and 4 x 4s are probably more productive time and faff wise. Just routes outside at weekends if possible.

Any advice really appreciated.

abarro81

• forum hero
Always hard to give feedback on this stuff without knowing your strengths/weaknesses etc, so the following obviously comes with the caveat that you will know much more about what you respond best to than I will.. but a couple of thoughts:

I would switch some max hangs sessions for boulder sessions - good to feel snappy when you head out on the trip, I certainly find this requires some slappy, snappy boulder problems.

wks 14 and 15 look pretty hard - lots of boulder enduro and foot-on-campus on the same days. Like I said above, I would advise keeping volume lower these 2 weeks, especially the final week, to taper and feel fresh when you go out. Keep the intensity high though. I would ditch the active rest for these two weeks and have them as proper rest days (i.e. ditching some of the low intensity high volume stuff). I doubt I'd drop to only 1 strength session per week for those weeks either, but then I'm always better at getting pumped than being strong.

Wasn't particularly planning to do any indoor routes, and I believe (maybe wrongly) that circuits and 4 x 4s are probably more productive time and faff wise. Just routes outside at weekends if possible.

Yeah, I do 99% of my indoor endurance/power endurance on circuits, 4x4s etc rather than on routes.

rosmat

• menacing presence
I would switch some max hangs sessions for boulder sessions - good to feel snappy when you head out on the trip, I certainly find this requires some slappy, snappy boulder problems.

Yeah, think this is a good idea. I was talking to Alan Cassidy the other day and he seemed to think the same.

Wks 14 and 15 look pretty hard - lots of boulder enduro and foot-on-campus on the same days. Like I said above, I would advise keeping volume lower these 2 weeks, especially the final week, to taper and feel fresh when you go out. Keep the intensity high though. I would ditch the active rest for these two weeks and have them as proper rest days (i.e. ditching some of the low intensity high volume stuff).

Again, I think I agree. I'm starting to feel tired already from the last 9/10 weeks. Sure I'll feel pretty worn out if I don't at least try and taper. Despite feeling tired I'm finding it increasingly hard to miss sessions though - prob just cause I've been training a lot (relatively) recently and it can become a bit addictive. In reality it's too easy to slip into over training for me as I enjoy it.
[/quote]

I doubt I'd drop to only 1 strength session per week for those weeks either, but then I'm always better at getting pumped than being strong.

Hmmm, unlike you enduro has always been my weakness (and hence I've neglected it stupidly). Maybe rather than transitioning to enduro over then next 6 weeks its better to swith to enduro now - for 4 weeks, and then switch back to strength for the final 2 weeks? Not sure - advice here would be good.

One alternative is I just hammer the strength and then work on the enduro while away. I go to the US for 6 weeks straight after my euro sport trip - should have time.  :2thumbsup:

On the plus side - I've defo seen a lot of gains over the last 10 weeks, which has got me pretty focused. Once this trip is over I'm quite looking forward to embracing the stop watch and doing some properly structured training. Which I guess will have to be long low intensity to begin with.

Thanks for the help.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 11:03:11 pm by rosmat »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal