UKBouldering.com

The foot problems thread (Read 7391 times)

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
The foot problems thread
June 13, 2013, 08:53:11 am
I have noticed that my toe knuckles have corns though I have probably had them for some time. It makes toe hooking painful/impossible.

I gather that the toe shape of five tens can cause this and some have changed brand as a result.

Any tips for getting rid of them (the corns not the shoes)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1 Re: The foot problems thread
June 13, 2013, 08:55:02 am
If they are proper corns then bazuka gel.

tomtom

• forum hero
#2 Re: The foot problems thread
June 13, 2013, 09:06:27 am
When I'm breaking in my Velcro's I often put a strip of finger tape across the knuckles of my toes to stop the blisters forming too fast..

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#3 Re: The foot problems thread
June 13, 2013, 10:07:49 am

What do you mean by proper?

When I'm breaking in my Velcro's I often put a strip of finger tape across the knuckles of my toes to stop the blisters forming too fast..

Started doing this to stop them hurting. With it being hotter and feet swelling up its more noticeable

tomtom

• forum hero
#4 Re: The foot problems thread
June 13, 2013, 10:15:42 am
Hey Shark, can we rename this thread to a general foot troubles thread? E.g.  'Feet' or some other corny (!!) pun on that etc.. as I was thinking of posting up about foot issues...

OK -

Now its summer, one thing thats been holding back my bouldering sessions is not skin, split tips, flappers etc.. is feet pains. Hotter, swollen feet tends to lead to more blisters (heat = blisters) and in the last couple of sessions my feet have seem as much finger tape on them as my fingers...

I've started using an older baggier slipper to warm up in (to spare my poor tootsies) and found that the best way to let blisters heal is to put a fabric strechy plaster over it (these seem to last much better than any other type of more plastic type plaster) then cover with a think layer of finger tape to give it a bit more resilience..

Other than taking shoes off more between problems/attempts, and wearing my thongs at the crag (to use the Australian vernacular) I'm stumped. Any other foot care tricks for the summer months?

TT

sidewinder

• obsessive maniac
#5 Re: The foot problems thread
June 13, 2013, 10:36:11 am
What do you mean by proper?
I think he means that are you sure they are corns (ie hard skin) the could also be bony growths, like bunions (but I think technically it's only a bunion if on side of your big toe?) but on top of your toe knuckles, caused by the repeated pressure of the shoe.  If these trying to dissolve them with gel won't help, I think they can go away in time, if you avoid what's causing them, but I assume someone who actually knows anything about medicine will be along in a bit to shoot everything I have just said down.

In general I have found wearing a range of different shoes, rather than just one type/size all the time, seems to have made my feet more normal, but that might just be my made up justification for buying so many shoes.  Also, for me, evolv bandits (velcro) have proved to be a cheaper, better fitting, more comfortable and as high performance alternative to anasazi velcros, the only downside is they look a little like a bumblie shoe (imo).

krymson

• obsessive maniac
#6 Re: The foot problems thread
June 13, 2013, 10:40:13 am
The Shamans have been heaven for my toe knuckles.

If we're talking about foot care, have to throw a tip into the ring - i've been using antihydral on my summer feet and its been fantastic - less sweat, less stink, solid heel hooks.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 10:48:35 am by krymson »

peewee

• obsessive maniac
  • Wilko Baggins
  • If in doubt, Lock it out (Dynamically)
#7 Re: The foot problems thread
June 13, 2013, 12:28:27 pm

I developed a corn on one of my toes a couple of months back, i asked one of the friends i climb with (happens to be a Podiatrist) he recommended to just keep filing the corn, i've been doing this for the past month with a nail file/ pumice stone and it is slowly going away.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#8 Re: The foot problems thread
June 13, 2013, 01:21:10 pm
Hey Shark, can we rename this thread to a general foot troubles thread? E.g.  'Feet' or some other corny (!!) pun on that etc.. as I was thinking of posting up about foot issues...

Good idea. Done. Sorry couldn't think of anything punny

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#9 Re: The foot problems thread
June 13, 2013, 01:31:34 pm
Any other foot care tricks for the summer months?

wear thinner socks than in winter

(a free license for up to 3 users is available for this advice when you set up a direct debit with Lagerstarfish Life Consultancy)

tomtom

• forum hero
#10 Re: The foot problems thread
June 13, 2013, 02:02:46 pm
I wear no socks in winter -  so do you sell negative thickness socks? If so you could have invented a miracle slimming fabric..

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#11 Re: The foot problems thread
June 13, 2013, 02:13:12 pm
I wear no socks in winter

can someone text Tomtom and let him know that Chuck Norris is using his UKB account again

Wood FT

• forum hero
#12 Re: The foot problems thread
June 13, 2013, 03:20:34 pm

Good idea. Done. Sorry couldn't think of anything punny

'foot me, that hurts'

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#13 Re: The foot problems thread
June 13, 2013, 04:28:28 pm
Healing for the Sole?

Durbs

• forum hero

tomtom

• forum hero
#15 Re: The foot problems thread
June 13, 2013, 06:13:45 pm
I wear no socks in winter

can someone text Tomtom and let him know that Chuck Norris is using his UKB account again

It was Van Damme.. I let him in as his washing machine had broken down and his extensive denim selection needed laundering - leave him alone for 5 min and he's pissing about on the iPad... I dont know..

Bet he's racked up a load of spends on the 'Lagerfishing' app.. tsk..

chillax

• forum abuser
#16 Re: The foot problems thread
June 13, 2013, 06:23:55 pm
Ah foot problems. Been the bane of my life for the last 5 months, and probably will be for the next 5 too. Fell down a dirty great gulley in Red Rocks in January, and was lucky to get away with just a busted foot. Que 127 minutes/avoiding the touch style 5hr crawl back to the car and 4 day drive back up to canada (was at the end of my ESTA visa time, so had to get out of the states). Went to a doc in Canada who told me it wasn't broken, just soft tissue damage. The thing was about as swollen as it could get. Had a deformed, black sausage on the end of my leg for ages. Spent 2 months in Squamish crutching around and resting it, then went to physio for 2 months when I got back to Ireland. Improvement was dramatic. After a lot of rehab, the tendons seem to have healed up reasonably well, and I can almost walk normally again. Then I get a job in Dublin and don't go to a physio for about a month. Everything seems fine, til it isn't. Sharp stabbing pains start in the back of my heel. I figure its just the achilles tendon acting up after not having had much use for almost half a year (where does the time go? :-\ ). So go to another physio. The soft tissues are all fine apparently, which means it must be joint/bone related. Giant biscuits of arse. I now have to wait a month to see a consultant so he can financially rape me, and figure out once and for all whats going on. Worst, and most lingering injury I've ever had. Had plans for another wall climbing trip in the autumn, but it looks like this year could be a complete write off from a climbing perspective.

Not. Fucking. Happy.

And all because I went up the wrong gully in Red Rocks  :wall:

lukeh

• addict
#17 Re: The foot problems thread
June 13, 2013, 11:24:22 pm
Shark,  have you been into your local pharmacy/boots and had a look at the foot care section?  I was amazed at the amount of stuff  people have wrong with their feet, and products to fix them...

I think my problem might be closer to bunions than corns, but either way the result is that pressure on my toe knuckles hurts. These are supposed to work miracles,  and are reusable+ washable.

http://m.boots.com/mt/www.boots.com/en/Boots-Pharmaceuticals-gel-Toe-Cushion-Tube-1-tube_1253622/

bit of a pain trying to find them in 'big toe'  size, but they do exist aparently.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#18 Re: The foot problems thread
June 14, 2013, 09:59:27 am
Cheers Luke

I'll check out Boots later.

Murd

#19 Re: The foot problems thread
June 14, 2013, 11:17:03 am
I've had problems with the knuckle on my big toes, eased it some what by sticking a square of that self adhesive draft excluder stuff that goes around window frames and doors, low enuff volume and stays put for the day, hardly rocket science but it helps.

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#20 Re: The foot problems thread
June 14, 2013, 05:28:50 pm
I have noticed that my toe knuckles have corns though I have probably had them for some time. It makes toe hooking painful/impossible.

I gather that the toe shape of five tens can cause this and some have changed brand as a result.

I had these when I was climbing a lot and wearing pinks. Corn pads, ie taking the pressure off the knuckles themselves, made life a lot more comfortable. The corns didn't totally go away until I knackered my shoulder and stopped climbing.

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#21 Re: The foot problems thread
June 14, 2013, 05:32:22 pm
Ah foot problems. Been the bane of my life for the last 5 months, and probably will be for the next 5 too. Fell down a dirty great gulley in Red Rocks in January, and was lucky to get away with just a busted foot. Que 127 minutes/avoiding the touch style 5hr crawl back to the car and 4 day drive back up to canada (was at the end of my ESTA visa time, so had to get out of the states). Went to a doc in Canada who told me it wasn't broken, just soft tissue damage. The thing was about as swollen as it could get. Had a deformed, black sausage on the end of my leg for ages. Spent 2 months in Squamish crutching around and resting it, then went to physio for 2 months when I got back to Ireland. Improvement was dramatic. After a lot of rehab, the tendons seem to have healed up reasonably well, and I can almost walk normally again. Then I get a job in Dublin and don't go to a physio for about a month. Everything seems fine, til it isn't. Sharp stabbing pains start in the back of my heel. I figure its just the achilles tendon acting up after not having had much use for almost half a year (where does the time go? :-\ ). So go to another physio. The soft tissues are all fine apparently, which means it must be joint/bone related. Giant biscuits of arse. I now have to wait a month to see a consultant so he can financially rape me, and figure out once and for all whats going on. Worst, and most lingering injury I've ever had. Had plans for another wall climbing trip in the autumn, but it looks like this year could be a complete write off from a climbing perspective.

Paul, don't stop doing the physio./soft-tissue stuff / rehab. It has helped and things got worse when you stopped it by my reading. Even if there is significant joint damage you'll need to carry on doing it. Can you see the first physio. again?

chillax

• forum abuser
#22 Re: The foot problems thread
June 14, 2013, 08:35:33 pm
Wasn't there - tangentially - a woman implicated in this incident? It's always good to have multiple targets for blame.

I wish.... It was a convoluted series of events involving a friend's dickhead boyfriend, a chillum pipe and an extremely stoned climbing partner giving bad directions the night before. Mostly down to me being a numpty with my strategy of "Hmmm, this doesn't look like the right place. Maybe if I solo higher and do more committing moves in my runners, a solution will magically appear...."

Paul, don't stop doing the physio./soft-tissue stuff / rehab. It has helped and things got worse when you stopped it by my reading. Even if there is significant joint damage you'll need to carry on doing it. Can you see the first physio. again?

Thanks Duncan, I'll keep doing the excercises that seemed to help before. I've moved away from where the other physio is based unfortunately. At this point I just want to do whatever I can to finally figure out whats wrong and how I can fix it. And hopefully get back to wall climbing next year!

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#23 Re: The foot problems thread
June 20, 2013, 03:45:47 pm
Anyone else get athlete's foot/ have a good solution for it?

I get it a bit most summers and I can always clear it up as soon as I spot it but this Easter I got it really bad on my right foot (hiking in wellies ::)) resulting in loads of skin peeling off  :sick: and it just keeps rearing its ugly head every time I think I've fixed it. I've always used the spray powder stuff in the past but this time I've got some cream. I'm skeptical as it seems to go against the "keep it dry" logic of fixing it...

krymson

• obsessive maniac
#24 Re: The foot problems thread
June 20, 2013, 05:13:59 pm
I've actually used climbing chalk as a successful athletes foot cure.
Wash your toes when you shower, dry them out after with a hair dryer and crunch up some chalk corns between dem toes. Worked like a charm for quite a while.
However, it's been a few months and summer sweat has brought the latent fungus out again...  albeit to a lesser degree. Wear sandals?

The cream sounds a bit unintuitive at first but very dry fungus ridden skin can be prone to cracking - perhaps a creamy substance applied after the foot is clean and dried could help prevent that?  :-\ (Wild-Ass-Guessing)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal