UKBouldering.com

Candy/Squirrel Buttress Approach (Read 3377 times)

abarro81

• forum hero
Candy/Squirrel Buttress Approach
June 09, 2013, 09:34:18 pm
Whichever one of those it's called - the one with Candy Kaned and Candy Man...
I heard someone got bollocked by the fishermen recently for wading across the river to access it - is it better to cross one of the bridges and walk along that bank? If so, any knowledge on whether you're better off crossing over at the pub or at the bridge just past the tor?
Cheers

masonwoods101

• forum abuser
#1 Re: Candy/Squirrel Buttress Approach
June 09, 2013, 09:48:45 pm
Can't you get to it by passing the bridge out of millers dale (the big one above your head) and parking a bit further up. I saw a footpath there and wondered if that's how you walk in.... Or the foot bridge further down the track from raven... Disrupting fishermen is never a good idea

dave

#2 Re: Candy/Squirrel Buttress Approach
June 09, 2013, 09:58:07 pm
The quickest way via a bridge aught to be from the bridge at the pub, but the path on the far bank (if there is one) is usually face high with giant rhubarb n shit. Would be best just to cross when there's no fishermen there shirley.

masonwoods101

• forum abuser
#3 Re: Candy/Squirrel Buttress Approach
June 09, 2013, 10:00:30 pm
Is it not on the monsal trail... ? Could find that and walk along...

leeroy

• forum abuser
#4 Re: Candy/Squirrel Buttress Approach
June 09, 2013, 10:21:27 pm
Is it not on the monsal trail... ? Could find that and walk along...

it would be quite difficult to drop down i reckon.

As dave says the "path" on the other side is usually quite boggy and nettly. I usually waited till the fisherman were further down stream before crossing, I've had odd looks from them but they've never raised an issue. Tread carefully mind, isn't that side of the river private land?

masonwoods101

• forum abuser
#5 Re: Candy/Squirrel Buttress Approach
June 09, 2013, 11:30:26 pm
Oh right... Still don't think wadding around is a good idea... Especially if the other side is private... Oh well

monkey boy

• forum hero
#6 Re: Candy/Squirrel Buttress Approach
June 10, 2013, 09:24:48 am
Wading is definitely the way if the water isn't too high but if it is I walked over the bridge by the pub and carried on up the path. You can then cut left through a meadow and drop down right next to the climbing. More discrete and saves walking through bogs and vegetation.

Note: I have never been told off but I know people who have. I don't know whether it is fishermen or locals and I don't know if they actually have any right to. Maybe someone in the knows could investigate a little. Be a shame to get this place banned as those two problems mentioned are real gems on great quality rock!

Good luck!

Ru

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#7 Re: Candy/Squirrel Buttress Approach
June 10, 2013, 09:31:45 am
Don't wade and dont thrash around in the undergrowth on the opposite river bank. I don't know the official position but access is likely to be very sensitive at best.

andy_e

• forum hero
#8 Re: Candy/Squirrel Buttress Approach
June 10, 2013, 10:15:25 am
I'm fairly sure (after reading an article about Owen Paterson trying to control his river for his own benefit and not let those pesky proles all over his prime fishing land) that rivers and streams are not owned by anyone and are a public right of access so you can't be done for trespassing (until you get out of the river, in which case you can be if you're on private land). I'm not sure how accurate this information is though.

Ru

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#9 Re: Candy/Squirrel Buttress Approach
June 10, 2013, 10:28:59 am
I'm fairly sure (after reading an article about Owen Paterson trying to control his river for his own benefit and not let those pesky proles all over his prime fishing land) that rivers and streams are not owned by anyone and are a public right of access so you can't be done for trespassing (until you get out of the river, in which case you can be if you're on private land). I'm not sure how accurate this information is though.

It's not in the river it's on the bank, and the bank is owned by someone. The fishing club fish in the river and own large sections of the riverbank, even if they don't own this bit. The fishing club have a relationship with the dwt who own lots of crags along the river. The fishing club doesn't like climbers and the dwt has grudging acceptance at best as long as climbers don't disturb wildlife. The fishing club patrols the river and reports possible infractions to the dwt and anyone else. Therefore don't wade through the river to get to the crag.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#10 Re: Candy/Squirrel Buttress Approach
June 10, 2013, 10:32:13 am

It may boil down to a technicality of access but in the UK there is only formal access to about 3% of rivers. (from an opinion piece by Gorge Monbiot on Richard Benyon's conflict of interest as Wildlife Minister).

andy_e

• forum hero
#11 Re: Candy/Squirrel Buttress Approach
June 10, 2013, 10:35:44 am
Ah yes, Richard Benyon, not Owen Paterson sorry. Looks like I completely misremembered the article. Ignore me!

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#12 Re: Candy/Squirrel Buttress Approach
June 10, 2013, 12:00:37 pm
What Ru said. Unlike on the moors this is not CRoW land, and any access off footpaths is entirely up to the goodwill of the landowner. Lose the goodwill, lose access.

masonwoods101

• forum abuser
#13 Re: Candy/Squirrel Buttress Approach
June 10, 2013, 01:32:19 pm
From a childhood spent going fishing ( an fallin in like an idiot from time to time) I know fishermen can get very annoye by stuff like that so will deffinetly report it.... Think the pb.info page says not to go to squirrel buttress on weekend to avoid annoying anyone

galpinos

• forum hero
#14 Re: Candy/Squirrel Buttress Approach
June 10, 2013, 01:49:40 pm
As this is a thread dicussing the access to this venue could someone who knows state what the preferred access is?

At the moment the thread reads as a list of don't but doesn't actually say what you should do. Is Monkeyboy's way the right one etc.....

abarro81

• forum hero
#15 Re: Candy/Squirrel Buttress Approach
June 10, 2013, 02:03:52 pm
From the responses I'm guess the meadow approach sounds like the most under the radar... figure I'll try that unless other options emerge.

highrepute

• forum hero
  • Blah
#16 Re: Candy/Squirrel Buttress Approach
June 10, 2013, 02:49:20 pm
?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal