UKBouldering.com

Access Database backup options (Read 2785 times)

SamT

• forum hero
Access Database backup options
June 03, 2013, 09:59:55 am

Calling all UKb computer geeks ... experts

:please:

got an problem that I've been struggling to find a satisfactory solution for.

At work we use a bit of software that uses a Microsoft Access  database backend.

Its multi user - i.e. 2 or 3 of us may be using the software at the same time and updating it (updates are not high frequency - e.g. one of us hitting save every half hour)

Up until last week - the DB was stored on a network hard drive and accessed purely across the network. (no web connectivity)

This was working OK barring concerns over backup and dataloss.

All our other stuff has been transferred over to google drive so we have the security of cloud based backup.

Last week I was away and the drive failed - we lost a bit of data but most of it got recovered from some 'disc doctor' guy apparently.

I'm aware that using an access DB on the cloud will be fraught with issues (conflict resolution etc etc).

Does anyone have any ideas for workable solutions.  Cloud would be great if it will work.

Ideally we need
- multi user access to the database from several computers across a wireless network in the office. 
- conflict free
- fit and forget backup
- internet access to it would be a nice to have.

The database it not large at all - 30mb at the moment - but there are older versions too so we are looking a couple 100mb tops.

NAS ?? (dont think we need terabytes of storage though)

Someone will possibly mention Microsoft 365 - which may or may not work - not sure that our software will like talking to something 'through' something like 365.

At the end of the day - we just want it to be simple (and cheap), we're not that techie here and don't have an IT department (there are 4 of us - and I'm the IT guy)

Cheers in advance  8)

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#1 Re: Access Database backup options
June 03, 2013, 12:36:38 pm
As its already on a NAS, upgrade the NAS and have 2 or 3 drives which run the version of RAID that suits best.
Or run a script/program that automatically backs up the DB to cloud at set intervals

SamT

• forum hero
#2 Re: Access Database backup options
June 03, 2013, 12:47:25 pm

Cheers - This is along the lines of current thinking.

OK - so the current NAS has died and we need to buy a new one - any beta on NASs - I've no experience

Vaugely aware of RAID - but not researched yet - sommat to do with multiple drives syncing across bays in the NAS

Any clues for 'running a script'.  Sounds straight forward, but no idea where to start.

[/numpty]

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
#3 Re: Access Database backup options
June 03, 2013, 12:56:12 pm
Sorry, can't help any further than that.
I'm also looking out for a NAS but haven't had the time to do much research yet

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
#4 Re: Access Database backup options
June 03, 2013, 12:59:03 pm
If the DB is only 30mb, can't you just copy it to a thumb drive at the end of every day or something simple like that?

SamT

• forum hero
#5 Re: Access Database backup options
June 03, 2013, 01:06:20 pm

In theory - yes - but really wanting something a bit more robust and automated.

Plus - some sort of protection against the office getting burglarised and all the drives etc getting swiped. 

Hence NAS/RAID/periodic auto backup to cloud.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#6 Re: Access Database backup options
June 03, 2013, 01:07:30 pm
Vaugely aware of RAID - but not researched yet - sommat to do with multiple drives syncing across bays in the NAS
Redundant Array of Indepndent(/Inexpensive) Discs

There are different "levels", whats been described is Level 1 and many NAS' that have multiple bays support this out of the box.

Any clues for 'running a script'.  Sounds straight forward, but no idea where to start.

If its a NAS then it will likely be running GNU/Linux so you will want to schedule using Cron a rsync command to synchronise it to a location where its backed up in the cloud.  Too many unknown variables to provide any further insight at present.

SamT

• forum hero
#7 Re: Access Database backup options
June 03, 2013, 04:05:46 pm

Cheers slackers..

Been doing some reading today..

Only looking at RAID1 - i.e. a mirror between two drives should 1 fail.

Then some sort of scheduled backup to copy the DB to our Google drive.

However - something else has been thrown into the mix following an attempted break in to the works van last night on the back of several break ins recently.
Seems that you can get cctv cameras to sync to the NAS so we are looking into that too.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#8 Re: Access Database backup options
June 03, 2013, 04:14:10 pm
Then some sort of scheduled backup to copy the DB to our Google drive.

Grive

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
#9 Re: Access Database backup options
June 05, 2013, 01:25:52 pm
only looking at RAID1 - i.e. a mirror between two drives should 1 fail.
RAID 10 is where its at apparently

SamT

• forum hero
#10 Re: Access Database backup options
June 05, 2013, 01:55:07 pm

Yep - but you need a minimum of 4 drives for RAID10 to work = a lot of extra dosh for something where RAID 1 is perfectly adequate.

NAS has been ordered now - http://www.ebuyer.com/290545-netgear-v2-readynas-duo-2-bay-no-disks-nas-enclosure-rnd2000-200eus

I'm sure someone will now debunk this enclosure as rubbish and tell me we should have got x enclosure for half the price - but the boss wanted to move quickly on this so thats were we're at.  I'll get the NAS set up first, then look at how we can schedule a backup onto Google Drive from the NAS.

Slackers - GRIVE is for Linux yeah ?? - we are running Windoze in the office, but you say the NAS will probably be running on Linux, are you suggesting we can get GRIVE to run on the NAS and copy the folder/files over to periodically copy files to our normal Google Drive.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#11 Re: Access Database backup options
June 05, 2013, 03:56:22 pm

NAS has been ordered now - http://www.ebuyer.com/290545-netgear-v2-readynas-duo-2-bay-no-disks-nas-enclosure-rnd2000-200eus

I have v1 of that at home and like it (although its a SPARC processor meaning not all packages are available, the v2 is ARM processor, the same family as you get in tablets, smart phones and Raspberry Pi's).  It streams films/music/pics to my PS3 over home ethernet no problem (not what you'll be doing though).  Also provides Network File Shares to my linux comps, never bothered setting wife's M$ laptop up to access them as she's not interested, but it will be a piece of piss as these things are designed to be easy to use for non-geeks.

Useful resources...

http://www.netgear.com - packages (for installing via the WebUI) and other useful resources.
http://www.netgear.com/forums/ - User community, pretty useful, be prepared to be asked for more information if you don't post details though (devil is always in the detail in trouble shooting).

Slackers - GRIVE is for Linux yeah ?? - we are running Windoze in the office, but you say the NAS will probably be running on Linux, are you suggesting we can get GRIVE to run on the NAS and copy the folder/files over to periodically copy files to our normal Google Drive.

Yes grive* allows two way synchronisation with Google Drive.

It is in the Debian package repositories for two ARM architectures so you should be able to install that rather than compiling from source, although it depends on whether the default install is permits installation of testing/unstable packages.  If not then you should be able to do so by enabling root access, which you may well need to do anyway, because unless someone has written an add-on package (see above resources, I've not looked through them myself to see if it there) then you will have to enable root access (probably invalidating software support from NetGear) and install it using the Apt package management tool.

* Its not an acronym so its not all uppercase.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal