UKBouldering.com

Cave Training (Read 14295 times)

krymson

• obsessive maniac
#25 Re: Cave Training
May 30, 2013, 11:03:04 am
Pull up bar - Wide grip and close grip pull ups and pull ups with legs raised (killer on my lower back!)
Holding a static position on a 20mm edge with feet on a chair as far as possible behind the fingerboard - Had to fight the urge to sag, felt like an extreme plank!
Holding one arm lock offs with feet on a chair stretched out behind the board[/b][/sub]

Yes!!!!   :dance1:

Hard isn't it!? that's what you want

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#26 Re: Cave Training
May 30, 2013, 11:19:16 am

The first excercise in the video is part of what I do for core. Trying go get a hold as far as possible, without cutting loose. As you see, you have to be precise and progressive. I hope this helps.

tomtom

• forum hero
#27 Re: Cave Training
May 30, 2013, 11:35:59 am
I had similar experiences to you when I went to the Bowderstone (and the Cave on a handful of trips).  I was a pitifully weak lover of tiny crimps and came badly unstuck when I tried to apply my natural climbing style, much admired by the three-toed sloth.  What little success I ever managed was only after months of going to steep indoor bouldering walls and forcing myself to throw between holds more.  By all means get all the heelhook beta going, but once your feet are in right, hurl for the next hold and don't try to static it out - move quick before you sag.

Thats one of the most interesting and instructive posts I've read for ages Moose. I agree - and its a genuine weakness in my climbing.

Luke Owens

• forum hero
    • My Blog
#28 Re: Cave Training
May 31, 2013, 11:03:38 am
After doing Pull ups with my legs raised infront of me 2 days ago I still have DOMS...!

The first excercise in the video is part of what I do for core. Trying go get a hold as far as possible, without cutting loose. As you see, you have to be precise and progressive. I hope this helps.

Cheers Nibs, this one looks great. Will definitely try it out.

tomtom

• forum hero
#29 Re: Cave Training
May 31, 2013, 12:12:18 pm
I found that side planks really helped me with the Keel (fairly specific sideways body tension move) - but also they seemed far more of a weakness than front planks..

I've been spurred on by these posts and went to the wall yesterday lunchtime and spent 90% of my time on the 40 deg section throwing for holds. Guns and sides feel pleasantly worked out today!

SEDur

• stalker
  • Edam Tarquin
  • The future
#30 Re: Cave Training
May 31, 2013, 08:11:13 pm
I went to (raven) tor yesterday, and today.
In the cave and 'a bit more' section, it really has shown the difference after being consciously dynamic on some of the problems/route starts.
This will be my first season of limestone climbing, and 6c+/- are going very quickly by moving dynamically.

Fingers feel a bit punished on the positive/polished edges, but i am finding it easier to hit holds and stick them after more time moving dynamically (but in control).

If you have good ceiling height above your pull up bar; it might be worth practising dead-pointing. Pull up, and hit the highest bit on the wall you can; and do this in succession to help train the nervous system and build acruitment?
Anyone have any objections to that?
If you have a campus rung, that would probably be a better edge to practice it on.

MJC

• regular

Luke Owens

• forum hero
    • My Blog
#32 Re: Cave Training
June 06, 2013, 09:03:43 am
http://www.onlineclimbingcoach.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/old-school-drills-foot-off-bouldering.html

Might be useful.

Cheers, SEDur posted this on the first page of this thread. Good knowlege by MacLeod.

Started reading 9 out of 10 Climbers again the other day. Good section in there about pulling with the feet on steep stuff.

highrepute

• forum hero
  • Blah
#33 Re: Cave Training
June 06, 2013, 09:48:55 am
Deadhangs on Slopers, Open handed Front 3, Back 3, Middle 2 and Half Crimp 4 fingers.
Pull-ups on a 30mm edge half crimped
Pull up bar - Wide grip and close grip pull ups and pull ups with legs raised (killer on my lower back!)
Holding a static position on a 20mm edge with feet on a chair as far as possible behind the fingerboard - Had to fight the urge to sag, felt like an extreme plank!
Holding one arm lock offs with feet on a chair stretched out behind the board

I can't help but feel these exercises miss the point a little. It seems to me the general advice in this thread has been that you need to learn to move dynamically (i agree with this, it's one of my weaknesses too), all these exercises are focused on static strength. I'm almost certain that if you got to the stage where you could do a one arm front lever you'd still find the cave desperate without improving your dynamism.

The easiest way to improve this would be Dave Macs feet-off bouldering and bouldering on steep stuff but you have said you don't have access to these things. So how can you achieve dynamism with a pull-up bar and a finger-board?

Difficult! My suggestion would be along the lines off.

- Fast pull-ups - really try and accelerate upwards - progress to clapping at the apex of the pullup.
 - Pull-ups with ceiling tap. Do a pull-up then try touch the ceiling above the bar with one hand - key is that ou have to let go of bar with one hand for brief period.
 - Campus between your fingerboard and campus rung. good for practising timing. Ideally you would like a bigger rung and a bigger distance to campus - stick to big holds this is about perfecting movement not getting strong.
 - Go to kids playground and campus around on monkey bars. Or use a tree?
 - Practise jumping to you bar/fingerboard.
 - with feet on chair - bounce both hands together between different holds on fingerboard/campus rung
 - anything to move dynamically... letting go of one thing and quickly grabbing another.

Really I would stress that there is no good substitute for climbing steep stuff as training for steep stuff.

Luke Owens

• forum hero
    • My Blog
#34 Re: Cave Training
June 06, 2013, 12:26:44 pm
I can't help but feel these exercises miss the point a little. It seems to me the general advice in this thread has been that you need to learn to move dynamically (i agree with this, it's one of my weaknesses too), all these exercises are focused on static strength. I'm almost certain that if you got to the stage where you could do a one arm front lever you'd still find the cave desperate without improving your dynamism.

The easiest way to improve this would be Dave Macs feet-off bouldering and bouldering on steep stuff but you have said you don't have access to these things. So how can you achieve dynamism with a pull-up bar and a finger-board?

Difficult! My suggestion would be along the lines off.

- Fast pull-ups - really try and accelerate upwards - progress to clapping at the apex of the pullup.
 - Pull-ups with ceiling tap. Do a pull-up then try touch the ceiling above the bar with one hand - key is that ou have to let go of bar with one hand for brief period.
 - Campus between your fingerboard and campus rung. good for practising timing. Ideally you would like a bigger rung and a bigger distance to campus - stick to big holds this is about perfecting movement not getting strong.
 - Go to kids playground and campus around on monkey bars. Or use a tree?
 - Practise jumping to you bar/fingerboard.
 - with feet on chair - bounce both hands together between different holds on fingerboard/campus rung
 - anything to move dynamically... letting go of one thing and quickly grabbing another.

Really I would stress that there is no good substitute for climbing steep stuff as training for steep stuff.

The general response in the posts was to get on steep stuff and move dynamically to get better at it which is what I'll be doing when I get the chance.

But I was also looking to do at least something (rather than nothing at all) at home that would help even the slightest bit so I just came up with a few exercises and was looking for feedback on them.

Your suggestions are great, it's stuff I never would of thought of doing at home! I'll definitely start doing them for sure, cheers!

highrepute

• forum hero
  • Blah
#35 Re: Cave Training
June 06, 2013, 01:00:33 pm
But I was also looking to do at least something (rather than nothing at all) at home that would help even the slightest bit so I just came up with a few exercises and was looking for feedback on them.

Hope my post didn't come across to harsh. I was just trying to provide feedback and suggestions.

Your exercises would definitely target skills required to climb in the cave so could be useful. I was just trying to suggest some dynamic alternatives.

Also. I thought Parisella's Orginal was pretty tricky. Are there some other cave problems of a similar grade you could try, i can't think of any? perhaps in the cave next door.

Gritlad

• obsessive maniac
  • I'm not actually much of a lad.
#36 Re: Cave Training
June 06, 2013, 01:06:44 pm
I think most people think Bust Lip is easier/ the same as Parisellas original?
Lip Service would be a good one to try as its somewhere between a static and dynamic pull with some steep footwork to use

MJC

• regular
#37 Re: Cave Training
June 07, 2013, 02:05:16 am
http://www.onlineclimbingcoach.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/old-school-drills-foot-off-bouldering.html

Might be useful.

Cheers, SEDur posted this on the first page of this thread. Good knowlege by MacLeod.

Started reading 9 out of 10 Climbers again the other day. Good section in there about pulling with the feet on steep stuff.
I actually did read the first page. God knows how i missed it. Sorry.

douglas

• obsessive maniac
#38 Re: Cave Training
June 07, 2013, 07:16:15 am
Get in the gym and get on the fingerboard.

abarro81

• forum hero
#39 Re: Cave Training
June 07, 2013, 07:22:33 am
 :wall: you lot and your deadlifting are nuts. That shit is tinkering with the edges, to be done when you're doing everything else right. (this goes for you two Simon) if he can't afford to go to the wall he sure as hell shouldn't be wasting money on going to the gym!

Luke Owens

• forum hero
    • My Blog
#40 Re: Cave Training
June 07, 2013, 09:00:14 am
I sure as hell won't be hitting the gym at £40 a month!

Did some of them power pull ups and pull up roof taps last night, felt good. Can see why it might help powerful moves.

a dense loner

• forum hero
#41 Re: Cave Training
June 07, 2013, 11:32:01 am
Riddle me this alex, if the gym has a sauna and bitches how is it money wasted?

abarro81

• forum hero
#42 Re: Cave Training
June 07, 2013, 12:04:24 pm
Fair point.
Though the cave does have saunas the ocean and bitches Doyle in a kneepad bikini so...  :-\

rosmat

• menacing presence
#43 Re: Cave Training
June 07, 2013, 12:21:44 pm
Which ocean is that?  :shrug:

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#44 Re: Cave Training
June 07, 2013, 12:46:10 pm
Which ocean is that?  :shrug: