UKBouldering.com

Les Gets advice (Read 5109 times)

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
Les Gets advice
May 24, 2013, 08:22:34 pm
Off to Les Gets in August for 5 days biking, only done Alps stuff in Chamonix and Les Arcs before so anyone got any advice on some decent areas to go to? Will have a car (if i ever get round to booking it) so don't mind heading over in to Switzerland too for a day trip or two. I'm not too in to full on downhill stuff, more all mountain type (ride a Specialized Enduro), certainly not in to big drops and stuff.

Oh, and might even throw my climbing stuff in so if there are any decent routes or bouldering in the area too, advice would be good.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1 Re: Les Gets advice
May 26, 2013, 12:27:18 pm
For five days you can get to pretty much everything from les gets itself; the portes du soleil is well linked and I think you can get up and over into Switzerland from there. There's e full range of stuff from easy to full on. For climbing there's a fair bit of sport locally check out the vallee du giffre guide or the new arve one.

When you there? I'll be around 3rd to 19th July approx. mostly family holiday but could get away for a route or two.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#2 Re: Les Gets advice
May 26, 2013, 08:29:48 pm
Off to Les Gets in August for 5 days biking, only done Alps stuff in Chamonix and Les Arcs before so anyone got any advice on some decent areas to go to? Will have a car (if i ever get round to booking it) so don't mind heading over in to Switzerland too for a day trip or two. I'm not too in to full on downhill stuff, more all mountain type (ride a Specialized Enduro), certainly not in to big drops and stuff.

Oh, and might even throw my climbing stuff in so if there are any decent routes or bouldering in the area too, advice would be good.

pick up a map from the tourist office in les gets, next to the marie building in the square. use the lifts to get height for the excellent AM routes. also google toget  passeportes de soliel route, make it smaller by starting at avoraiz, you must go up the mosettes lift and do the section around there. incl the GR5 descents.

as for DH, all the reds in the bike parks will b fine on an enduro. i always ride everything in the alps with full leg and elbow pads, though to be frank i ride in a full facer most of the time... but not needed on the tourist office AM routes as described above.

you will have an unbelievably good time.

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#3 Re: Les Gets advice
May 27, 2013, 07:10:38 am
Cheers both, looking forward to it already so will be really keen by the time I get there. Will be taking knee shin pads as not got much skin on them anyway and have a tendency for falling off. Probably put my full face in too. Would like to give the passportes route a go as well.

I'll be there from 9 August SA Chris, going with some mates who've got kids in tow too.

IanP

• forum abuser
#4 Re: Les Gets advice
May 27, 2013, 08:26:46 am
Cheers both, looking forward to it already so will be really keen by the time I get there. Will be taking knee shin pads as not got much skin on them anyway and have a tendency for falling off. Probably put my full face in too. Would like to give the passportes route a go as well.

I'll be there from 9 August SA Chris, going with some mates who've got kids in tow too.

I had a week in Morzine last year with brother and nephew and our families.  Rode the downhill stuff (reds and easier blacks) on a Giant Trance beefed up with 150 mm forks and stronger wheels / big tyres and managed fine - slower than the full out guys on the DH rigs but not embarresingly so (for a middled age bloke!).  Would definely recommend pads, full face and potentially some body protection, many were wearing body armour , I went for sixsixone sub gear for some half way house shoulder protection.  Except for some ridiculous looking blacks at Chatel all the properly big drops and doubles I found were optional and plenty of people we avoiding them.  The biggest difference for me to riding in the UK was the sustained steepness, you need a seatpost that goes right down and it's well worth getting some practice in on steep stuff in the UK before you go - I got some riding in at Macc Forecst, Cannock and Forest of Dean downhill courses which was really useful.

If you've got families then I can recommend Les Linderat - chairlifts are set in lovely mountain valley with river and few restaurents/bars, you can visit the goat village and swim in Lac Montirond on the way back. 

Climbing wise I had a day at Foron, good shady crag about 25 mins from Morzine - climbing mainly in the high 6s / low 7s plus couple of worthwhile easier but steep routes.  I managed with the UKC logbook as a guide, which will work fine now that the map position of the crag has been corrected!

ianv

• forum abuser
#5 Re: Les Gets advice
May 27, 2013, 08:33:14 am
Don't forget that the Planey lift is shut this year so liasons back to Let Gets from Morzine might be interesting  :unsure:

FWIW a lot of the Passport route is pretty crap; fire roads and uninspiring single track. One bit I would recommend though is the descent into torgon from chatal, this was great although the lifts are properly old skool, slow and no bike carriers.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#6 Re: Les Gets advice
May 27, 2013, 09:07:46 am
http://www.escalade-74.com/

Gives an overview of climbing in the region.

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#7 Re: Les Gets advice
May 27, 2013, 09:38:54 am
Don't forget that the Planey lift is shut this year so liasons back to Let Gets from Morzine might be interesting  :unsure:

FWIW a lot of the Passport route is pretty crap; fire roads and uninspiring single track. One bit I would recommend though is the descent into torgon from chatal, this was great although the lifts are properly old skool, slow and no bike carriers.

Yep I heard about that, apparently putting buses on but that will be a right ball ache I'm sure. Lindarets looks pretty good though, and if I've got a car shouldn't be too bad.

Will give PPDS a miss then I reckon too.

Chatel bit sounds good though will take a look

To be honest I'd rather be heading back to Chamonix, riding there was some of the most technical biking I've done in years, and my local used to be wharncliffe  ;D
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 09:47:05 am by bigtuboflard »

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#8 Re: Les Gets advice
May 27, 2013, 09:40:12 am
http://www.escalade-74.com/

Gives an overview of climbing in the region.

Cheers for that, will pack a rope if I don't go over my weight limit!

SA Chris

• forum hero
#9 Re: Les Gets advice
May 27, 2013, 09:56:56 am
There's some good roadside stuff, but in August it will be roasting, evening sessiosn might be a good call.

I think the Chamonix "authorities" have severely limited MTB in the valley in midsummer, so stuff you may have enjoyed there before may now be off limits

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#10 Re: Les Gets advice
May 27, 2013, 10:14:51 am
There's some good roadside stuff, but in August it will be roasting, evening sessiosn might be a good call.

I think the Chamonix "authorities" have severely limited MTB in the valley in midsummer, so stuff you may have enjoyed there before may now be off limits
Darn. The single track off aiguilles de possettes and from grand montets was fantastic. Agree that it was always a bit touchy with the locals and walkers though. Shame.

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#11 Re: Les Gets advice
May 27, 2013, 10:17:51 am

By the way, are you the one and same ianv who lived in saltaire and spent months on end in the cellar at the old tram shed?!  ;D

SA Chris

• forum hero
#12 Re: Les Gets advice
May 30, 2013, 09:54:21 am
He's wandered off, but yes I think it's him.

ianv

• forum abuser
#13 Re: Les Gets advice
May 30, 2013, 09:56:19 am
By the way, are you the one and same ianv who lived in saltaire and spent months on end in the cellar at the old tram shed?!
   :thumbsup:

Were you a visitor?

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#14 Re: Les Gets advice
May 30, 2013, 06:16:17 pm
By the way, are you the one and same ianv who lived in saltaire and spent months on end in the cellar at the old tram shed?!
   :thumbsup:

Were you a visitor?
Indeed I was. Frequently! I tended to hold your ropes at Malham quite a bit too  :)

ianv

• forum abuser
#15 Re: Les Gets advice
June 08, 2013, 08:14:09 pm
When in August are you there Tim, I might be free from the 17th or so.

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#16 Re: Les Gets advice
June 09, 2013, 10:10:20 am
When in August are you there Tim, I might be free from the 17th or so.

Darn. there from the 9th to 15th.

lifts have just started turning though, and the snow has finally started to melt. where else you headed in Europe this summer? always wondered what the less obvious spots where like in the summer. often thought about places like verbier or parts of austria and if they are worth a visit.

underground

• forum hero
#17 Re: Les Gets advice
June 10, 2013, 09:07:22 pm
TBH I loved the Passeportes - not necessarily for the quality of riding, but for the fact that we covered quite  lot of areas in one day and it all felt really exciting for an alpine first timer. Similarly long days in the mountains - we did a trip starting from the Supermorzine over to Mosettes and then down to La Pisa, up the Col de Coux and back down from 1800m all the way into Morzine, then back up Pleney and across back to LG. Just great fun and lovely views.

I actually found the DH courses at my level meant I could roll all the tabletops, avoid the drops and doubles, and to some extent because I'm a slowcoach, were easier on my AM bike than on the Summum, as it was easier to manhandle at a snail's pace round the massive berms. The bikepark was ideal (as opposed to the Chavannes, for example)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal