UKBouldering.com

The Flight of Icarus, 2 Tier (Read 1346 times)

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
The Flight of Icarus, 2 Tier
May 06, 2013, 09:24:50 am
 The route looks good but maybe not the sort of the thing to just launch up optimistically...Has anyone does this?

Any comments on the line, degree of boldness would be welcomed...ie it loooks quite a bit run out - is it more dangerous than this? The guide mentions a cam but not what sort of size..

Thanks!

Neil F

• obsessive maniac
#1 Re: The Flight of Icarus, 2 Tier
May 07, 2013, 12:20:19 am
It is good, but I can't remember what size cam I placed - sorry!

What I do remember is that the traverse out of Coldfinger (to give it its correct name) is perplexing.  You are on comfortable ground whilst you try to fathom it out, but it took me several forays to unlock the key.  Never fell off, but was definitely stumped for a while.  Good gear at the undercut, and the headwall is just good fun, on excellent rock.

Hasn't this (headwall) since been swallowed up by one of the full height bolt routes (which I don't think had been done when I led TFOI...)?

Neil

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#2 Re: The Flight of Icarus, 2 Tier
May 09, 2013, 10:12:00 pm
Hi Neil,

Thanks for the reply. I couldn't see a high bolt on it the other night (from the ground), it looks like Minos is off to the right of the headwall, same lower-off though.

Sounds like it's quite run-out rather than dangerous, the traverse being crux (Graham Hoey left a comment similar to yours on rockfax). Name is a bit of a hint, though...

Cheers

Jon

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal