UKBouldering.com

Bouldering noob. Best way to start training. (Read 11416 times)

crimp

Glad you enjoyed it, i did too. Happy to go again any time.

Main thing is, you're now confident enough to go for sessions yourself anytime now. Most important, be aware of what's below you in the way of safe landings, and in the gorge be aware of what's going on above you. Stay in your comfort zone, take it easy, and enjoy it.

Ps. The first perfect well hidden 6m bit overhanging wall we climbed on. Keep it to yourself. I think that's 4 of us use it now. I would hate for it to end up like gollums. If you visit that hole, you'll know what i mean.

Mums the word  :whistle: on the first place we stopped. I'll get back to you on the
forest of dean outing. But I am up for it. Just need good weather and the
right opportunity around work. Oh well, back to my tiling...

good good.

I am sure you agree it's a lovely wee bouldering venue. If anyone asks about it
 :tumble:

crimp

Overdid it at the gym (TCA) today and have hurt my left thumb.
At least I got a bit done that I struggled with last time but am out of action
until my thumb feels better.

Hi Grr.

You know the easy angled slabs by the bog wall. They're good for keeping your eye in, practicing good footwork skills without putting too much strain on your thumb. Use big handholds and work on your feet.

When healed hit me up, we'll get over forest and down Brean.

Have you been outdoors again? Or had a look at ring road boulders yet?

rodma

• forum hero
One piece of advice for our strong noob would be to take it slow and steady with the fingery stuff. You'll probably already have a cast iron grip from building and will quickly adapt to small edges, but the fingers take a long time and are very slow to heal if injured. So if you find your getting better and better on the little edges from one session to the next, make sure and throw some easy sessions into the mix, before it becomes a necessity to have an easy session.

Oh, and be particularly careful on low gravity days, best to cut those sessions short too for the same reasons

Oh, and welcome :)

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
One piece of advice for our strong noob would be to take it slow and steady with the fingery stuff. You'll probably already have a cast iron grip from building and will quickly adapt to small edges, but the fingers take a long time and are very slow to heal if injured.
:agree:

And back on topic, Adge did the best possible thing in taking you outside.  You can learn some level of footwork and technique at the wall, but no indoor walls really simulate the level of technique that goes along with outside climbing.  The best early advice I ever got when I was learning to climb was to find a slab route or boulder problem that you can climb quite easily using your hands and feet, then try climbing it without pulling with your arms(pressing down only), then try climbing it using only your hands on the wall for balance, then work up to no hands at all.  This may take quite some time, but you'll really learn how to weight your feet and how to smoothly transfer balance between your feet as you move up. 

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
I've split off the 'debate' about piss taking as it was off topic and best treated as a seperate thread.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal