UKBouldering.com

Systemboard Training Thoughts..? (Read 3348 times)

Probes

• forum hero
  • Wood Abuser
    • Crusher Holds
Systemboard Training Thoughts..?
April 15, 2013, 03:02:03 pm
Wondering what peoples thoughts are, or if anyone has done anything similar with a system board. Not a lot about on the net with system training. Still not 100% sure if what Im doing is right but I think so. But would be great to have some other ideas. Ive been pretty dedicated lately and be good to get it right make sure Im not wasting efforts. Ive a things to do before 40 list!!

A quick explanantion is Ive used the same problems/system exercises for 12 months doing stints of about 2 to 3 months - doing max power recruitment basically… 4 to 6ish moves and adding a weight belt so that the problems feel more less at my limit. This has worked really well and Ive made some definite gaims.
Want now to try and use the same problems for a bit of muscle/bulk building, do a stint for six weeks then go back to the max exercises. Old rule of thumb is 10-12 reps with short breaks (2mins) and about 3 in a set, with 10mins rest between?…  so ive tried to double up the problems and follow this protocol.

I did a first sesh on Sat, and the vid (apologies super shit quality but it kind of shows what Im doing.. and apologies for shameless crusher promo   :whistle:..) was done yesterday. I did 5 different problems, both ways (left/right) so that’s 30 in total, which is double the amount of moves I normally do for max’s and yep I was completely fucked yesterday. So Im going to do a bit less in future. But it seems to feel like its hypertrophying. As an aside the revesring down isn’t ideal but it’s the best way I can think for extending the problems.
The idea of the vid is for form, which worked well as I was goosed before I did it, so it shows up a few faults (the cut loose). Never one for videoing myself, but climbing like a one pedal bike is never a good idea.
Anyhow be great to have some feedback..

douglas

• obsessive maniac
#1 Re: Systemboard Training Thoughts..?
April 15, 2013, 09:01:35 pm
Hypertrophy of what? Where were you sore the next day? Building body muscle climbing is always hard because fingers are the limiting factor. For shoulders, back, arms etc, I train in the gym.

douglas

• obsessive maniac
#2 Re: Systemboard Training Thoughts..?
April 15, 2013, 09:04:41 pm
What you are going is very good though, and what I'd call system training. I've got very strong on gastons, pinches, undercuts in the past training in a similar way.

Probes

• forum hero
  • Wood Abuser
    • Crusher Holds
#3 Re: Systemboard Training Thoughts..?
April 15, 2013, 10:52:06 pm
Yes, didn't make that point, its nothing to do with fingers, all aimed at arms, shoulders and back. Besides possibly the undercuts the problems don't overly work the fingers, they're fairly positive. So the idea was to isolate say the shoulder press position or the 90 deg lock in the undercut position, so each problem targets something specific, the outside of the shoulder or the bicep. I know your right in that you may as well just do it with weights, but Ive never really tried to do it on a board before. 
My back, specifically the top of lat got it most.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#4 Re: Systemboard Training Thoughts..?
April 15, 2013, 10:57:44 pm
Might be worth speaking to Arran. It's the only type of climbing he does these days.

Serpico

• forum hero
    • The Craig Y Longridge Wiki
#5 Re: Systemboard Training Thoughts..?
April 16, 2013, 02:27:14 pm
 :spank: :chair:

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#6 Re: Systemboard Training Thoughts..?
April 16, 2013, 02:50:52 pm
:spank: :chair:

Not denying it though are you???

Don't want you to become too narrow - remember to do the left hand versions   ;)

Probes

• forum hero
  • Wood Abuser
    • Crusher Holds
#7 Re: Systemboard Training Thoughts..?
April 16, 2013, 02:55:11 pm
Arran  :shrug: sorry don't remember him.

What do you think Serps  :thumbsup:  :thumbsdown:   :-\  or total   :blink:

Serpico

• forum hero
    • The Craig Y Longridge Wiki
#8 Re: Systemboard Training Thoughts..?
April 16, 2013, 03:32:25 pm

What do you think Serps 

Nice, is that time-lapse video you've used there?
As for the exercises, I don't know how much hypertrophy they'll build - I tend to associate hyp with exercises that have a higher metabolic load like weight training, but if you want to try for hypertrophy cut your rests down to 45seconds.

Probes

• forum hero
  • Wood Abuser
    • Crusher Holds
#9 Re: Systemboard Training Thoughts..?
April 16, 2013, 04:00:36 pm
 :lol:

Sort of, there's 5 hertz missing in darwen so running a camera at 45 gives you that impression.

Ok will try that... 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal