UKBouldering.com

Another wasted New Years Day (Read 6494 times)

hongkongstuey

• forum hero
    • http://www.hongkongclimbing.com
Another wasted New Years Day
January 02, 2003, 12:43:37 am
saw me crawling out of my pit at about 4pm with a head that just wasn't going to work, only to look out the window and see clear blus skies!

Bugger, the friction would've been ace - oh well, at least it means i can assume that i had a good new years eve! (what i can remember of it was fun :wink: )

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#1 Another wasted New Years Day
January 03, 2003, 09:55:19 am
NYE saw us down the Broadie, then on to a climbers party (oh god!) nearby. This was sort of ok with some decent choons being spun in the front room but it was just far too climbery for us - lots of intense young men being intense and only about 10% women which just ain't natural so we buggered off to play some tunes round a mates house.

So much for the easy night. Lots of booze, and various chems later we staggered home at 5am to greet the new year with an awe-inspiring hangover. Nice.

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#2 Another wasted New Years Day
January 06, 2003, 02:30:47 pm
Was that the Carterknowle Bash? heard Mr Whitaker was 'mixing like a train crash' by all accounts.

New Years Day was quality for once, woke up in hotel in City Centre Manchester, life giving breakfast and then coffee and home. Nice.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#3 Another wasted New Years Day
January 06, 2003, 02:59:27 pm
Yeah, that's the one!! Depends what you mean by "like a train crash"  :)

From what I heard, some of it was fine, but there were more than a few episodes of, how shall I say.... "falling down the stairs"  :wink:  

Decent choons though - at the end of the day I'd rather hear good tunes and iffy mixing than some awesome 3 deck action and a load of crap music. Talking of which, must get my third deck fixed, it might give me the kick up the arse I need to get back into my mixing properly.

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#4 Another wasted New Years Day
January 06, 2003, 03:55:53 pm
Ha! the heady days of the Foundry R-a-a-a-v-e-s!!! when Skinny Vinny used to smash two of the hardest and best tunes together in a freestyle fashion - marvellous! His mixing was up there with Sam's and he got away with it cos his choons were so good! so Carl Cox, Jeff Mills - give it up bwoys, buy some crowd pleasers!

There were a couple of other DeeJay/climber types there as I remember it - one Lucian Cottle, now portly globetrotting rock god who played house, a dreadlocked Tony Askins - who became something at the arches before getting ripped off - dunno where he is now, and this one guy, Mike Annesley I think his name was, who had the best records, dope mixing skills used to kill it but gave up to play darts. Or something like that anyway.

A tangled cast of hundreds, sigh... if only they could see us now... sigh!

fatboySlimfast

• forum hero
#5 Another wasted New Years Day
January 06, 2003, 04:36:43 pm
EH! Less of the portly!!!!I like to think of it as comfortable!!!
As you can see my computers fixed and i can now harangue all u bastardos again!!
By the way  went out today and it was mint.....soz to all you workers out there!!

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#6 Another wasted New Years Day
January 06, 2003, 06:59:48 pm
Quote from: "dobbin"
and this one guy, Mike Annesley I think his name was, who had the best records, dope mixing skills used to kill it but gave up to play darts.

Bit of a twat though, wasn't he  :wink:

Eeeeeh, them were the days laddy! Great nights and some good debauchery went down - I remember one leading lady uk climber who shall remain nameless  lying in the doorway in the grips of a mushroom frenzy, Zippy staring up at the lights, his mind fried by the intense power of two microdots and the rest of the motley dancin' crew  twatted on base and mdma caps - luuurrvelly!!! Didn't you have a dabble on the wheels down there too Dobbin now and again??

I'm still keen as mustard when I buy new choons but have got out of the habit due to a period of enforced poorness. Got to start again now I can rub two penneth together again....

I met Tony Askins at Krabi in Thailand a few years back - he'd only gone out there for a little while but looked like he was staying on - he'd been there about a year when we bumped into him. Never seen him back in Sheff I don't recall.

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#7 Another wasted New Years Day
January 07, 2003, 08:58:23 am
Damn! I was rather hoping that noone would remember this old nags debut on the ones and twos.

You know when you first get into dj'ing, you get decks and all that? well, invariably you go through a spell of thinking you are really good, when in fact, you are quite rubbish. Its all part of the learning experience. After the Foundry I had a spell of spinning at the Forum, the Showroom and, at the zenith of my career - InsomniacZ. But when the drugs wore off I realised it wasn't the career move I had hoped and got into something altogether more tedious but regularly paid.

There were a couple of the UK's best female climbers I can recall somewhat worse for wear, one in particular who does rather well from sponsors at the moment chewing a bag of spanners under the bouldering wall. Everyone can probably recall a well known photog once famed for his 'super high intensity' workouts at the snor dancing like a man possessed double time to the music in many nightspots around Sheff. Marvellous.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#8 Another wasted New Years Day
January 07, 2003, 09:07:51 am
Damn! I was rather hoping that noone would remember this old nags debut on the ones and twos.

Heh heh, we never forget!

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#9 Another wasted New Years Day
January 07, 2003, 09:08:39 am
Sorry - doing multiple posts as work won't allow long ones!

I guess the Foundry things were really the high point of djing for me. Played many a party (anyone remember the house party of all time imho at Edgedale Rd with the camo netting over the outside of the house?? That rocked. Also played many other bits and bobs, and we actually set up our own deep house night called "Reckless" at the Halcyon which didn't go too well after the initial push due to lack of time to promote the thing.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#10 Another wasted New Years Day
January 07, 2003, 09:08:57 am
At the end of the day, if you wan't to be a pro DJ, you either have to kiss promotor ass or set up your own night. I realised I was never in it for the glory really, and always used to get the hell out of there when other ego-centric dj's started rearing their ugly, coke-riddled little heads! Anyway, I've always liked private bashes, small sweaty venues and the like and never had any desire to play no superclubs...as a career it's impossible unless you're one of the very few. I used to know one of the residents at The Orbit before he lost it and became a smackhead. You'd think you'd get a decent wage out of being resident at one of the best techno nights in the uk but he only got about £150 p/week.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#11 Another wasted New Years Day
January 07, 2003, 09:10:26 am
There were a couple of the UK's best female climbers I can recall somewhat worse for wear, one in particular who does rather well from sponsors at the moment

yes, I know exactly who you mean  :wink:

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#12 Another wasted New Years Day
January 07, 2003, 12:17:25 pm
I quite agree, to make it as a career you have to walk the walk and all that. I can remember many a not technically very good DJ coming through and givin it all that and now playing Sundissential, Insom's, Good Grief etc (elliot Tordoff), which proves our point, you ain't gotta kill it to become famous, just be a gobshite.

Re:
the house party of all time imho at Edgedale Rd with the camo netting over the outside of the house
if thats the one where Gav E had made a deck shelf bolted to the wall then, yes I remember it, particularly one Mr Patterson somewhat inebriated.

They had some good parties up there! I even got a cup of black tea out of big Malc in one of the aftermaths. It didn't make me any stronger, and I have still yet to onsight any Font 8a's. Sigh.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#13 Another wasted New Years Day
January 07, 2003, 12:23:45 pm
Oh yes, there's lots of big names who're not all that on the decks, although probably less so these days as competition is fiercer. I remember the outrage when people like Jon Pleased/Boy George who couldn't mix for crap immediately got huge nights. Even people like Jeff Mills who can be amazing can be appalling sometimes. I've heard some DAT tapes taken off the Orbit mixer where his mixing was all over the shop. But to be fair, there's loads who are worth they're money imho....

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#14 Another wasted New Years Day
January 07, 2003, 12:26:34 pm
if thats the one where Gav E had made a deck shelf bolted to the wall then, yes I remember it, particularly one Mr Patterson somewhat inebriated.

Yeah!!!! That's the one - what a party! Talking of deck skillz, Gav is a full on scratch technician these days.

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#15 Another wasted New Years Day
January 07, 2003, 08:30:38 pm
well I never! -
Gav is a full on scratch technician these days.
I've never known where to start with that one - bit of an ambition though.

I caught Morillo at Pacha this summer and he had a couple of clangers but the brilliant ones are really quite brilliant. Same's true of people like Jeff Mills - when he drops one, it's completely awful, but when he kills it its like he's IN the music, everything is so co-ordinated and planned - amazing.

I guess when you are Jeff Mills/Tenaglia good then if you fcuk it then its a total error, you don't make slight faults anymore...

Have you noticed how everyone else has gone from this thread? its like eerie maaan!

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#16 Another wasted New Years Day
January 07, 2003, 09:18:35 pm
Have you noticed how everyone else has gone from this thread? its like eerie maaan!

Coz we're reminiscing like a couple of old grandads down the local  :wink:

I've never known where to start with that one - bit of an ambition though.

Practice and practice and more practice - brick hard, sometimes I can but usuall I can't. Even got a video on how to do it which didn't really help.

Heard any Derrick May? He is the man for floor-control - guarenteed to blow the place apart - seen him at Sankey's a couple of times and it was awesome. Same for Claude Young and of course let's not forget Sankey's warm-up  man and Basics resident James Holroyd. Jesuz, I need to get out again, it's been too long!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal