UKBouldering.com

Bike for the boss (Read 5082 times)

metal arms

• menacing presence
Bike for the boss
April 12, 2013, 03:01:36 pm
So, I bought myself a fairly cheap hardtail bike (Voodoo Hoodoo) and took the Mrs biking on a borrowed bike (GT Avalanche 3) so now she is talking about getting one.  Even though she's rubbish and it will ruin my enjoyment of my new hobby...  Budget is around £500.  So I presume there is no point in considering full suspension?  The advice I've had so far is look at small mens bikes as they are specced up better for the money.  Is this right?  I've seen this BMC one (which is a girls bike) and seems like a good deal.

Anyway chaps, anyone seen any good deals out there?  Or got any advice for someone who knows sweet fuck all about bikes. 

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1 Re: Bike for the boss
April 12, 2013, 03:35:21 pm
True on the avoiding full sussers for that price - anythiong you get will be either a) shit b) heavy or c) second hand and fucked (or any combo of the above).

Getting a WS design or not probably depends largely on her physique. If it's for that price she probably won't notice the difference. Make sure you get one that is the right size for her though and let her sit on a few and be happy with one that "feels" right size wise.

bobkatebob

• menacing presence
#2 Re: Bike for the boss
April 12, 2013, 11:04:59 pm
Don't buy her a 'good deal' you have found just because its a good deal.
Don't buy her a men's bike over a womens just because it has better speced components

There are many women who don't ride that have been bought bikes by their OH (which are their OH choice)
I think there are a lot more women who love MTBing who have chosen their own MTB when starting out.

I would suggest if she can to go and try a few out. BTW there are good speced womens bikes out there, just not as many stocked in shops.

If it was me, For £500 I would try to pick up an 2nd hand orange diva. But that is my own personal choice.

Saying this, not really any point her buying a mtb as your support is so -ve you even post on forums that she's rubbish.  :chair:

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#3 Re: Bike for the boss
April 12, 2013, 11:10:55 pm
Agree on all above...

Consider your personal dynamic, and then if it works.. Let her choose a hard tail of her choice... And enjoy...

underground

• forum hero
#4 Re: Bike for the boss
April 13, 2013, 01:07:03 am
Agree on all above...

Consider your personal dynamic, and then if it works.. Let her choose a hard tail of her choice... And enjoy...
AND once you've made a decision on bike, consider buying used.... I guess women's bikes are a relatively rare commodity by comparison to men's, but it's a very fluid market in my experience, and there are bargains to be had on pinkbike, for example. Just be careful of the dodgy fuckers, arrange to meet up and collect for cash if you can.

galpinos

• forum hero
#5 Re: Bike for the boss
April 13, 2013, 07:41:38 am
My wife rides a Kona Five-O. It was bought second hand from Llandegla at the end of the season (ex-hire). It turns out, buying a bike for her was quite tricky as what she likes in a bike isn't the same as me. Who'd have thought it!

We rented bikes at quite a few trail centres and rode some from shops (not a patch on testing one for a couple of hours on actual trails) and she quickly realised that she wanted a heavy-ish bulky frame with decent forks as it was consistent going down hill and no where near as twitchy as lighter frames, giving her more confidence on the downs. She's pretty fit so the extra weight on the uphill was no problem, especially as it ups the enjoyment of the down which is why we do it!

We went with the ex-hire as it was a really good deal. My wife is quite short so was after a small frame. Having looked at the small bikes, they'd only been ridden by kids and didn't look like they'd taken the beating some of the larger frames had so we managed to pick a "nearly new" looking one.

Making sure she has bike she enjoys riding and gives her confidence (which I assume your bike does for you...) will make your outings more enjoyable.

elephant0907

#6 Re: Bike for the boss
April 13, 2013, 02:32:14 pm
Quinns bike shop off Edge Lane is really good and you can try bikes out.

I got a Trek hardtail which I guess is men's/unisex, just a small one.

Ellie

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#7 Re: Bike for the boss
April 13, 2013, 02:47:09 pm

:shrug:  :P

metal arms

• menacing presence
#8 Re: Bike for the boss
April 14, 2013, 12:57:02 pm
Cheers all.  Might try a few different shops then so she can get an idea what she wants.  When we're closer to a decision I'll probably ask for any opinions on her options.

R.E. my negativity.  I told her what I'd posted and it appears that it is hard to infer jokes (however poor) on the internet.  So I've told her to do her own fucking research in future. :)

jfw

• forum abuser
  • banananananana
#9 Re: Bike for the boss
April 23, 2013, 02:01:47 pm
Womens specific bike more worthwhile if you are pretty small and have relatively short arms to your leg length.

If not - you prob better getting a small mens frame (and have more choice/ resale potential if that's a consideration).

also what  riding position you prefer - blah blah. You can get a mens biek and tweak with saddle/ narrower bars/ shorter stem as alternative (delete as appropriate).

metal arms

• menacing presence
#10 Re: Bike for the boss
April 24, 2013, 03:34:46 pm
Womens specific bike more worthwhile if you are pretty small and have relatively short arms to your leg length.

I see.  She is little so we will definitely try a few different options on this.  Any recommendations for good bike shops?  We're based in Liverpool but go to Sheffield a fair bit.

also what  riding position you prefer - blah blah. You can get a mens biek and tweak with saddle/ narrower bars/ shorter stem as alternative (delete as appropriate).

I guess this is probably not going to be much of an issue as we're definitely beginners and I imagine that they all feel pretty similar until you get a bit more experience.  (Although I'll stay away from Penny Farthings and the suchlike...)

SA Chris

• forum hero
#11 Re: Bike for the boss
July 16, 2013, 02:43:47 pm
On a different slant, SWMBO has decided she wants to get a road bike. Not doing thing in half measures she can get one up to a grand (ish) through the bike to work scheme. Unfortunately none of the bike shops locally keep XS frames so it will be a case of buying online or ordering one in.

Ones she likes the look of are

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/products/giant-avail-1-13?bct=browse%2fbicycles%2froad-bikes

http://www.alpinebikes.com/shop/bikes/road-bikes/trek/lexa-slx-c/

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/dolce-elite-equipped-triple-2013-womens-road-bike-ec042292

Anyone got any recommendations of which ones to go for or ones to avoid? Or any other unmissable options?

Thanks

SA Chris

• forum hero
#12 Re: Bike for the boss
July 19, 2013, 01:11:27 pm
Nothing?

runt

• obsessive maniac
#13 Re: Bike for the boss
August 16, 2013, 07:58:19 pm
I'd go to ribble or on-one and get fitted or a bargain off the peg job