UKBouldering.com

Any reason NOT to buy an ipad mini? (Read 3615 times)

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
Any reason NOT to buy an ipad mini?
March 31, 2013, 08:27:36 pm
As per post title..was thinking of investing in an ipad mini for Mrs mrjr, thought 32 Gb version and we have a 3yr old so full fat pad might be cumbersome.

I know Android can be great but think she likes Apple. Does anyone have any negative experiences/ views re the mini?

Thanks.

rich d

• forum hero
#1 Re: Any reason NOT to buy an ipad mini?
March 31, 2013, 08:29:53 pm
Like all iPad stuff it's very limiting. No flash etc

dave

#2 Re: Any reason NOT to buy an ipad mini?
March 31, 2013, 08:36:06 pm
I've not used a mini but unless there's something that specifically you think a normal ipad will be too big for then just get a normal ipad. Our 3yr old had no problem using ours, infact bigger is better for your kid I reckon. Lack of flash has been a total non-issue in my experience of owning an ipad for the last year.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
#3 Re: Any reason NOT to buy an ipad mini?
March 31, 2013, 08:52:29 pm
Thanks. I thought full size might be heavy.

You can upload stuff to Cloud and access that circumnavigating USB storage issues I believe?

cofe

• forum hero
#4 Any reason NOT to buy an ipad mini?
March 31, 2013, 09:12:42 pm
Mini is great, nice and portable and light, and just as capable as normal iPad.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#5 Re: Any reason NOT to buy an ipad mini?
March 31, 2013, 09:36:30 pm
As per post title..was thinking of investing in an ipad mini for Mrs mrjr, thought 32 Gb version and we have a 3yr old so full fat pad might be cumbersome.

I know Android can be great but think she likes Apple. Does anyone have any negative experiences/ views re the mini?

Thanks.
Nexus 7 16mb £159 v £269 iPad Mini 16mb
Nexus 7 32mb £199 v £349 iPad Mini 32mb

Nexus is as good as or in some ways superior to an iPad for almost half the money. The only reason is if you have already been suckered into Apples faux 'ecosystem' therefore can't consider alternatives.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
#6 Re: Any reason NOT to buy an ipad mini?
March 31, 2013, 09:39:08 pm
Good point. Apple's got the aesthetics sorted, and Mrs has a preference there. google nexus are quality I believe although mini is nearly 8" so world consider the Nexus 10 as the alternative.
 :-\ :-\

dave

#7 Any reason NOT to buy an ipad mini?
March 31, 2013, 09:43:35 pm

Thanks.
Nexus 7 16mb £159 v £269 iPad Mini 16mb
Nexus 7 32mb £199 v £349 iPad Mini 32mb

Nexus is as good as or in some ways superior to an iPad for almost half the money. The only reason is if you have already been suckered into Apples faux 'ecosystem' therefore can't consider alternatives.

But factor into that cost comparison what each will get you on eBay if you sell em in say a couple of years time.

AndyR

• forum hero
#8 Re: Any reason NOT to buy an ipad mini?
March 31, 2013, 10:07:08 pm
Good point. Apple's got the aesthetics sorted, and Mrs has a preference there. google nexus are quality I believe although mini is nearly 8" so world consider the Nexus 10 as the alternative.
 :-\ :-\
I have one and use it and like it a lot - small enough to slip inside my jacket etc.

Obvious proviso, I like and use other apple products, so, given the generally accepted wisdom, I am unable to think independently or critically.

Paul B

• forum hero
#9 Re: Any reason NOT to buy an ipad mini?
March 31, 2013, 11:29:30 pm
Do you have to use the new iTunes if you own an iPad (mini or otherwise)?

If so that'd be a big enough reason for me NOT to buy one. They've made it dreadful and it failed to pick up my iPod the 2nd time I plugged it in.

tomtom

• forum hero
#10 Any reason NOT to buy an ipad mini?
March 31, 2013, 11:42:19 pm
MrsTT loves hers. Quality bit of kit.

namnok

• forum abuser
  • John May Lives
We have the ipad regular size. Not too sure about about the mini but it appears too small.
Great to have out and about in the house etc, barely turn on the laptop now except for when playing anything flash related (but then i use my android phone)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Our 3 yo has no probs with the full size iPad either, I think the big screen seems to suit little hands more. Problem is wrestling it out of his hands when iPad time is over.

I'm very anti iTunes, use Spotify app on ours no bother.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
Thanks for the replies, consensus sems to be that full-size is the better option, better save a few more pennies.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal