UKBouldering.com

Family tents. (Read 5198 times)

joeb

• addict
Family tents.
March 21, 2013, 08:26:03 pm
The time has come to purchase a family tent. Any good recommendations its for four of us. Summer season only really as the youngest is only one, needs to be a reasonable size.
Thanks.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#1 Re: Family tents.
April 02, 2013, 02:05:20 pm
We bought this one (or something like it) a couple of years ago (we're on a budget generally) and whilst we only use it three or four times a year, it's brill for the 5 of us.

Good points - plenty of space for rainy days, flexible inners, fairly easy to set up and put away. We got an awning which allows me to cook in the dry whatever the weather...

Bad points - heavy, but then I think anything of this size is going to be weighty...

If money's not an problem, then some friends of mine have got this baby which is ace...

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#2 Re: Family tents.
April 02, 2013, 02:32:09 pm
We have something similar to Fatneck, a Coleman one from CCC a few years ago. It's ok but like most huge tents a bit of a flaff to put up especially if it's a)windy b)dark c)late (after a long drive and you can't be arsed) or all of the above. If I went for another it would probably be a 'pop-up' one or similar.

Ours is the classic two bedrooms at opp ends which works ok. The only thing missing is a dry/clean area for the kids to play in, the central area isn't great for this. Friends have a massive setup which has three 'wings' (two bedrooms and an entrance/storage area) off a large central area. The main advantage of this is in wet/muddy weather you have an area for muddy boots etc, but then an central area that can be kept clean-ish for wet weather games etc. A good advantage in very wet weather but consequently a HUGE tent which was undoubtedly expensive. Think you could do something similar with the modular Decathlon ones but still not cheap.

Quality wise I recon unless you spend thousands all cheapo family tents will be about the same quality, our Coleman one is fine.

Worth checking out Decathlon offers, this one looks pretty good and may be easier to set up than ours;
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/seconds-family-42-4-man-family-pop-up-tent-beige-red-id_8171127.html

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#3 Re: Family tents.
April 02, 2013, 02:35:26 pm
For how many other than parents plus 1 yo?

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#4 Re: Family tents.
April 02, 2013, 02:42:09 pm
The time has come to purchase a family tent. Any good recommendations its for four of us. Summer season only really as the youngest is only one, needs to be a reasonable size.
Thanks.
:thumbsup:

fried

• forum hero
#5 Re: Family tents.
April 02, 2013, 03:00:29 pm
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/seconds-family-42-4-man-family-pop-up-tent-beige-red-id_8171127.html

I have this tent and it has a number of plus points.

It is very easy to put up (less than 30 mins from arriving to sitting with a Pastis!), easy to put down (after the first time! read the instructions).

It's possible to open it in the rain without rain pouring in, which is strangely unusual for a family tent. So it's possible to cook inside if needed.

The sleeping compartments are not next to each other.

Unfortunately the built quality is a bit suspect and one of my poles has already snapped after a couple of years, it's still O.K to put up but it's probably the beginning of the end.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#6 Re: Family tents.
April 02, 2013, 03:08:47 pm
Thanks.
:thumbsup:

D'oh #facepalm

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#7 Re: Family tents.
April 30, 2013, 07:53:19 pm
If anyones in the market for a big tent, Decathlon are selling off the Base 4.2 and Base XL for £150 each. Joined together they make one BIG party zone.  :icon_beerchug:

SA Chris

• forum hero
#8 Re: Family tents.
April 30, 2013, 10:50:13 pm
Perfect for hanging out and partying at K2 base camp for the season

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#9 Re: Family tents.
May 01, 2013, 09:39:21 am
Not sure if they are stone/knive/mob proof, I'll check the label.  ;)

tomtom

• forum hero
#10 Re: Family tents.
May 01, 2013, 09:56:14 am
Not sure if they are stone/knive/mob proof, I'll check the label.  ;)

Inspired by the kevlar backed rucksacks for American school children, I'm considering launching a range of bullet proof bouldering pads. Just in case theres some sort of gun based disagreement at the crag. One can then hide beneath the mat, or using the special 'glory hole' opening in the middle return fire on your would be assailant.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#11 Re: Family tents.
May 01, 2013, 09:58:52 am
Inspired by the kevlar backed rucksacks for American school children.

:-\ I hadn't heard of these before and thought you might be joking but searched and it seems they do exist.

Theres an obvious flaw in the design.   :slap:

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#12 Re: Family tents.
May 01, 2013, 10:10:02 am
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/apr/26/us-bulletproof-uniforms-gun-control

1 vote for the 'most off topic thread in five posts or less'

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#13 Re: Family tents.
May 01, 2013, 10:15:10 am
The weight of them should help combat the obesity epidemic! :clown:

erm, sam

• forum hero
#14 Re: Family tents.
May 01, 2013, 10:19:27 am
If you are anywhere near Manchester and you had a particular trip in mind you could probably borrow mine for a couple of weeks or what have you. it is a sprayway canyon like this:http://www.365campingcaravanning.com/reviews_tents_sprayway_canyon_42.htm
My kids are now old enough to much prefer to have a tent to themselves. so most camping we do this summer will be in small ones. it is a decent tent (all be it with fibreglass poles etc) but massive pack size as most tents of this size have.

psychomansam

• forum hero
#15 Re: Family tents.
May 01, 2013, 10:31:42 am
3lb is hardly mammoth

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#16 Re: Family tents.
May 01, 2013, 10:37:29 am
No, but its an extra ~1.4kg that wouldn't normally be in the bag.

SamT

• forum hero
#17 Re: Family tents.
May 01, 2013, 11:12:07 am

We've got an outwell (hartford L) and have been very impressed with it.

pros
- 'Feature' rich at a budget price.
- great central area for hanging out/cooking/entertaining the kids on rainy mornings.
- Very light and Airy, Light green colour is peaceful and relaxing.  I hate navy blue dark tents, utterly depressing if your stuck in em on a rainy day/morning.
- bedrooms on opposite sides so your not just 3mm away from the kids.
- good awning area for removing wellies/cooking/storing stuff.
- actually pretty stable in high winds.

cons..
- footprint is a bit big due to the shape - finding a big enough flat pitch can be an issue on some campsites.
- fooking heavy - your not going to be carrying it far
- massive pack size
- 2 man job to put it up.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#18 Re: Family tents.
May 01, 2013, 11:29:40 am
Joking aside, although of course you're never going to use something like this in 'extreme' conditions, like most people my perception of a large 'pop up tent' would be it would be a lot less robust than a standard pole tent in high wind, which made me all the more impressed seeing this video..

SA Chris

• forum hero
#19 Re: Family tents.
May 01, 2013, 12:47:39 pm
It was intended as a Vertical Limit reference.

We've got a big Trango Idaho which i would recommend if it was still being sold. My experience with this or I guess any other large tent is that the pegs and guys are great at holding them up in strong wind provided the ground they are hammered into is good enough, which is very rarely the case. Especially when camping on the machair on the Hebrides in the face of an Atlanic storm! Not a lot of sleep that night.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal