UKBouldering.com

Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !! (Read 283544 times)

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#725 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
August 19, 2020, 07:06:38 pm

That's not really my risk in this situation; it's more a question of does it actually add any value given it's ~10% of the value to get the work done?

I meant more in the sense of - if you don't get it done, and if/when (and this is you we're talking about here Paul!) next weekend the belt snaps, you'll be left with a 500 quid spares or repair VRS to list on eBay, and no usable car.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#726 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
August 19, 2020, 09:06:19 pm

Autotrader is saying ~3.2k private, ~2.2k trade-in (and WeStealYourCar would probably tell me they're doing me a favour taking it off my hands); it's a lot of car for that or, I certainly feel it's worth more than that to me but I suppose that is something that goes hand-in-hand with running such cars to relatively high mileage.

Quick scoot through that’s available currently on Autotrader and this price seems right. As you’ve said the mileage makes a massive difference, with examples at 80k the same ages getting you a couple of grand more at least.

Paul B

• forum hero
#727 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
August 20, 2020, 11:22:02 am
Yeah it's an interesting one. I'm looking at a 66 plate which has done quite a lot of miles, but to me that's pointing to it trundling up and down the motorway for 4 years.

What are people's experience with the VAG 3.0 TDI unit? We're considering an A6 Allroad.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#728 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
August 20, 2020, 01:39:45 pm
I think my Dad's A4 Allroad was 3l. He loved it and regretted selling it. Towing spec was overrated though (or the gearing wasn't suitable) which is why he sold it. Although they have more clearance than standard quattros they still aren't much use off-road. But then most 4x4s aren't either.

Paul B

• forum hero
#729 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
August 20, 2020, 02:31:39 pm
Cheers!

High(er) clearance is something I'd like for a few reasons; the road pavement has failed around here in a few places and I'd like to be able to confidently go over the edge without praying for my sump. The second is all of the lanes are walled and visibility is pretty sh*t in mine. I'd get something higher but my dog still doesn't know she can jump and she's too heavy to lift in and out (especially as she gets older). The farmer had his slurry pipes across the access road the other day and mine would barely clear the metal ramps.

I won't be towing and I'll be avoiding cars with tow bars. My folks have the same engine in a Touareg (tow car).

Plattsy

• forum hero
#730 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
August 20, 2020, 02:49:36 pm
Octavia Scouts are worth a look. Really like mine so far.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#731 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
August 20, 2020, 03:32:22 pm

There’s a 184bhp version too which should hopefully be enough squirt for Paul, I looked at one before getting a van.

Sounds like what Paul really needs to buy is some weights so he can work up to lifting his dog up 😄

tomtom

• forum hero
#732 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
August 20, 2020, 04:12:03 pm
Don’t the 3.0 tdi VAG units incurr pretty high car tax nowadays?

My Austrian friends with a house 800m up above Salzburg (Emtb in summer for commute) have a regular Octavia with snow tyres then chains - and for when it’s really bad their Suzuki Jimmy (or whatever it’s called) is apparently very good.

Thought about a Subaru? Drove an outback (May have been called an explorer) in Oz two years ago for a while and it was sturdy but civilised..?

Have a look at the Xdrive Vs Quattro videos on YouTube - there’s a pretty clear winner...

Plattsy

• forum hero
#733 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
August 20, 2020, 04:56:38 pm

There’s a 184bhp version too which should hopefully be enough squirt for Paul, I looked at one before getting a van.

Sounds like what Paul really needs to buy is some weights so he can work up to lifting his dog up 😄
I opted for the 150bhp manual. Still pretty quick.

With normal tyres on it was well happy trundling up Lady Canning car park which my Focus couldn't touch the previous winter.

Xdrive does alright in this pretty fair comparison test.

Boot space is a problem in BMs though.

Paul B

• forum hero
#734 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
August 20, 2020, 05:28:05 pm

Have looked. They look like a great option and far more sensible (like Volvo options).

Don’t the 3.0 tdi VAG units incurr pretty high car tax nowadays?

Depends how old; £165 which is not dissimilar to my Octavia (~£140 last time). I don't know how this works, my friend's 140i is less than my Octavia.

:tumble: I've tried to convince Nat to get rid of her mini and replace it with something for 'cheap' thrills (Fiesta ST will accept a greyhound), but I was hoping that the 'squirt' might increase by more than 9 bhp given I've so far failed in this endeavour.

Boot space is a problem in BMs though.

There's not really a higher clearance option either without going to some of their X-models (or am I missing one)? I didn't get a 3-series this time due to the boot tapering in from all angles.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#735 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
August 20, 2020, 06:01:39 pm
Looks like Subaru do an Outback with a big engine 250bhp but they seem pretty rare.

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#736 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
August 20, 2020, 08:47:18 pm
Looks like Subaru do an Outback with a big engine 250bhp but they seem pretty rare.

I drove a few of these in Aus and they were awesome.

Also I had presumed this dog was a fluffy beast that would be genuinely tricky to lift, but... A greyhound?!   :weakbench:

Paul B

• forum hero
#737 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
August 20, 2020, 09:44:40 pm
I don't really know how to explain the dog well. Just accept that we've had two dog walkers over the 5 years we've had her and the first was unsuccessful in getting her to leave the rear yard, even when the garden gate was being replaced. The second took a significant amount of time and brought her working collie to 'assist'.

She's 30kg of back heavy non compliant animal. She was unable to work out she could step over a baby gate that excluded her from the kitchen in the last place. Although, today out of nowhere she cleared a head high stile like it was nothing. She can do these things, she just doesn't give a toss about what either of us may want her to do. You'll laugh but at Kilnsey if we're both working things at opposite ends, we won't get her to bother after we've both put the QDs in. Thankfully she's very happy for one of the various failed RPers to sit and fuss her in our absence. We walk her two to three times a week. Any more than that and she will sit and refuse until she's bleeding from her paws. It's unsurprising from a breed where humans have waited on their every need for years!

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#738 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
August 20, 2020, 10:16:51 pm

I drove a few of these in Aus and they were awesome.

Also I had presumed this dog was a fluffy beast that would be genuinely tricky to lift, but... A greyhound?!   :weakbench:

A used Subaru Forester might be worth considering - reportedly less refined and nippy than an Outback but a lot cheaper and very capable on rough terrain.  Anecdotal and confirmation bias ahoy, but they seem popular with tight-fisted farmers who have mysterious and convenient barn fires.  Which suggests to me that they are at least a capable and economic choice.

Paul B

• forum hero
#739 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
August 21, 2020, 10:06:22 am
Thanks Moose (and that made me laugh).

If you log onto Autotrader and tick 4WD, estate (as TomTom suggested), you don't get a lot of options!

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
#740 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
August 21, 2020, 05:17:39 pm
Paul, if you want a 4x4 estate with space and pace how about the SEAT Leon Cupra ST. Yes it's petrol but you should still get 40 mpg.
I've now got 2L diesel ST 150, but considering a remap to take it up to 180. Very pleased with it so far, lots of space, toys and economical but pretty quick.

Paul B

• forum hero
#741 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
August 21, 2020, 05:45:26 pm
Paul, if you want a 4x4 estate with space and pace how about the SEAT Leon Cupra ST. Yes it's petrol but you should still get 40 mpg.

Clearance will be sh*t. As I've said above, gently landed on my sump pulling over for a Range Rover on the approach to Widdop. I don't want to cringe every time I move over or there's a puddle.

tommytwotone

• forum hero

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#743 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
August 22, 2020, 04:45:44 pm
The seller is in Selby. I wouldn't trust them. Nothing good has ever come from Selby (unless you count Henry I).

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#744 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
August 22, 2020, 05:59:17 pm
Forester STi

Was thinking about these, but aren’t they all grey imports? Knowing Paul’s luck he’d end up with one from a Yakuza boss which got seized a week after he bought it!

tommytwotone

• forum hero
#745 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
August 22, 2020, 08:11:39 pm
Yeah they are. One of the Pistonheads guys has had one for a while and posts regular articles with updates.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#746 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
August 22, 2020, 08:32:20 pm
Forester STi
Was thinking about these, but aren’t they all grey imports? Knowing Paul’s luck he’d end up with one from a Yakuza boss which got seized a week after he bought it!

If it's got a load of coke and guns stashed inside, it'll pay for itself.

Paul B

• forum hero
#747 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
August 23, 2020, 02:41:35 pm
 ;D - I do like the way Moose writes on forums!

Yesterday I went and test drove an A6 Allroad 3.0Tdi V6 s-tronic which has done starship miles (service history was strong and the lack of tow-bar suggested motorway miles; it wasn't bought at auction either). I thought it was an amazing thing to drive with effortless power and I'm not sure I've been in anything as comfortable ever (given my father in-law has always had a thing for large BMWs as well)? It had a slight squeak from the RH rear quarter (linked to hitting surface imperfections not acceleration or braking) which I'm guessing is a bushing (and was promised to be rectified). I was a little disappointed by the room in the boot compared to the Octavia (non-scout); the 4WD eats in from the side but also underneath (understandably); I was expecting a little more headroom back there (725mm). Tax is £165 (it has an ad-blue system).

I also happened to drive a Fiesta ST as they had one in. Wow, that's a crazy little car! My plan of convincing Nat to go that direction seemed to fail though as stepping out of something really refined (the A6) and into a something with a noisy dump valve (apparently they're childish) highlighted the stark difference. She absolutely hated it whilst I had a grin from ear to ear (it was slightly damp to add to the fun). WRT small, relatively cheap, hot hatches, there are few with a reasonable sized boot (and we've had Nina in the in-laws Fiesta, by accident when it was left open and I wasn't paying attention).

He offered 2.5k for mine trade-in as was trying to find a polite way of saying it's a bit scrappy on the outside.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#748 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
August 23, 2020, 08:59:02 pm
New Electric Mini? No fiesta ST, but sounds like it actually drives pretty well.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#749 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
August 23, 2020, 09:40:31 pm
Gym membership to get hench enough to lift Nina into any awkward boot?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal