UKBouldering.com

Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !! (Read 283599 times)

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#225 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
November 22, 2014, 07:35:01 pm
Not noticing any more coolant loss than usual BUT it's a fine fog on the windows so I doubt I would notice it yet.

No obvious smell, but it's definitely oilier than water. I will taste it tomorrow, for fun.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#226 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
November 22, 2014, 10:06:24 pm
Okay. Someone on Facebook suggested it might be coolant leaking into the "heat exchange manifold" (or something like that). I immediately dismissed this idea because it wasn't happening on the driver's side

I've had this, it's a simple fix. Just get a bottle of radiator sealant and stick it in your coolant.

kelvin

• forum hero
#227 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
November 22, 2014, 11:10:38 pm

button somewhere

it works

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#228 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
November 23, 2014, 10:53:55 am
Okay will try that. Assuming you're not sandbagging me :P

tomtom

• forum hero
#229 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
November 23, 2014, 11:13:45 am
Fiend - first of all check to see if you are losing coolant over time... if you are not - then the leak isnt coming from there! No point in putting radweld (or equivalent) in a perfectly fine system...

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#230 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
May 02, 2015, 11:37:57 am
Dragging up an old topic but on the subject of the OP I would recommend anyone to ditch runflats.

Just replaced Michelin PS2 RFs with ContiSportContact5s and the difference is staggering - the car is now suitable for UK roads and even Sheffield's legendary potholes are now bearable whereas before I was thinking I'd bought the wrong car.

Tyre fitters said that they get loads of cracked alloys when people are running 18" or over & runflats.

One of these in the boot means no need for for a spare.

About £200 cheaper for the set as well. Win.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#231 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
May 02, 2015, 12:53:08 pm
the c4 grand picasso comes with one of those repair kits instead of a spare wheel - i must get around to testing that the pump actually works...

tomtom

• forum hero
#232 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
May 02, 2015, 02:13:52 pm
Get on eBay and get a space saver lagers.. Never heard of those repair kits working...

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#233 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
May 02, 2015, 05:14:19 pm
On the few times I've had the need, just a can of Tyre Weld has seen me right until I can get to a fitter.

Forgot to say, I'm running .2 bar higher pressure than the recommended on the non runflats. Seems to feel about right.

Paul B

• forum hero
#234 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
May 02, 2015, 06:43:33 pm
the c4 grand picasso comes with one of those repair kits instead of a spare wheel - i must get around to testing that the pump actually works...

If you bought the car used check the previous owner didn't part-use it and then put it back. My Dad found this out the hard way, somewhere remote with no signal on his phone (probably Lancashire).

tomtom

• forum hero
#235 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
May 03, 2015, 12:05:01 pm

webbo

• forum hero
#236 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
July 09, 2015, 08:57:29 pm
The missus picked up her new company car today. Really proud of it till I pointed out its got a 14 plate on the front and a 15 plate at the back. ;D

tomtom

• forum hero
#237 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
August 11, 2015, 08:17:05 am

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#238 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
August 19, 2015, 06:19:36 pm
I know FA about cars and I would normally ask my Dad about this but he's away so UKB is to be my substitute Dad.

C1 failed to start for my partner this morning. Didn't have a chance to look at it before I left for work but on coming home it appears to me that the battery is flat.

Symptoms:
Central locking doesn't work (you can hear it trying but not enough power); lights etc don't work
HUD with fuel level etc doesn't fully show, quite flickery, so obviously struggling for power
Absolutely nothing happens when you try and start it

I guess all this means the battery is flat?

Diagnosis:

To my knowledge it definitely wasn't left with any lights/radio etc on last night so can't see any reason why that would have drained it.
Car gets daily use for commuting (2x 45 minute journeys) and a good run out cragging at the weekend so can't think it hasn't had a chance to charge properly.
Alternator could be fucked? Not sure how I would tell if this was the case.
Don't think it will be a faulty component draining it slowly over time. It always starts very well and haven't noticed a weak battery before. We did have a brake light go recently which I haven't got round to replacing. No idea if that could be related!
Could just be that the battery is flat? Do batteries sometimes just go flat?

Treatment:

We share the car between us and are very reliant on it. It would be good to have it back on the road as soon as possible. With this in mind I could go out and buy a charger and plug it in tonight, and hopefully have it working in the morning. However, if its a problem with the alternator/a shit component that is draining it then presumably it will just go flat again?
If its a faulty battery then charging might not work?

Suggested course of action?  :please:

tomtom

• forum hero
#239 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
August 19, 2015, 06:39:06 pm
Try charging the battery first. If it doesnt hold a charge then theres your problem. Usually batteries give up fairly slowly - so if it is on its way out it will probably hold a charge for a day or two then start to fail.. but unless they're really fucked it should be OK immediately after charging.

However, your car is french. So it may well be shrugging at you and saying pah.

cha1n

• forum hero
#240 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
August 19, 2015, 07:38:00 pm
Ask a friend with jump leads to jump start it for you and then you'll know it's probably to do with the battery if it starts. Measure the voltage across the battery when the car is running and when it's stopped. When the car is the running, the alternator should provide a higher voltage for charging, like 14V or something (google it if you want) but when the engine is off it will be 12.somethingV.

If it's not giving you a higher voltage when running then the alternator is probably fooked. Or perhaps the auxiliary belt has come off but you'd lose other stuff potentially, like power steering if that was the case. If you get the higher voltage then perhaps the battery is knackered, or you did somehow drain the battery. I think what I've suggested is the cheapest option provided you've got jump leads and a multi-meter. Good luck.

webbo

• forum hero
#241 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
August 19, 2015, 08:11:37 pm
How old is the car. I found that the batteries in small cars tend to go after about 3 years. Also if you've used anything like a pump via the cigarette lighter can make them fail dramatically.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#242 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
August 19, 2015, 08:49:20 pm
Sit rep. We fortunately have a sloping drive so was able to jump start it and took it for a drive on the bypass. Everything seemed to work but turning the headlights on definitely made it go a bit funny at first but after some repeated offing and onning it seemed to work  :shrug:
Also had two random warning lights on - handbrake and ABS.

Got it back onto the drive and killed the power. Turning the key, I could get the lights on but there was nothing at all from the starting motor. Will try and get it into the garage tomorrow.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#243 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
August 19, 2015, 09:50:48 pm
Dead battery and/or dead alternator. More likely the latter.

tomtom

• forum hero
#244 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
August 19, 2015, 10:26:11 pm

Battery.

If it was the alternator you would have 1. not been able to bump start it or 2. had any electrics running once it was running (ie lights would have been mega dim)... in other words it must have been working to make the electrics work with no battery attached. Chain is partly right - but the engine has to be revving in order to generate more than the 12v. Often on tickover it wont generate enough voltage.

Warning lights often come on after the battery has been changed - gone flat... but it is a French car ;)

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#245 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
August 19, 2015, 10:29:36 pm
Merde.

If it was the alternator you would have 1. not been able to bump start it or 2. had any electrics running once it was running (ie lights would have been mega dim)

That's what I though (honest). Hopefully just a new battery or something like that.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#246 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
August 19, 2015, 10:30:16 pm
True that. Wine fuzzled brain. Read more type less  :chair:

tomtom

• forum hero
#247 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
August 19, 2015, 10:31:41 pm
Web says new battery £50 (first look)... one of those things that doesnt last for ever...

andyd

• forum hero
    • https://vimeo.com/user14959179
#248 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
August 19, 2015, 10:47:04 pm

but it is a French car
Thems is fighting words TT

tomtom

• forum hero
#249 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
August 19, 2015, 10:49:08 pm

but it is a French car
Thems is fighting words TT

But if we were having a duel - your gun would jam ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal