UKBouldering.com

Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !! (Read 282959 times)

Steve R

• forum abuser
#850 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
March 04, 2021, 06:42:20 pm
Whilst on the topic of VAG and OBD, anyone any (diy) experience of using OBD cables/scanners/software on VAGs?

I'm after clearing airbag light on Octavia II ahead of its MOT.  I take various seats out when car is in camping mode and this requires disconnecting airbag cables.  When seats go back in and connections remade, lights stay on but as I understand it, the fault just needs clearing.  Would be keen to be able to do this and other faiult code stuff myself rather than paying each time at MOT.  Brief research suggests 3 cheap options:
i) OBD usb cable and connect to laptop.  Only issue here is I don't think I have access to any older versions of windows which the software needs. ie. xp or 7.  I use linux so might be able to get it running in wine but bound to be faffy...
ii) OBD scanner thing.  self contained unit with little lcd screen.  likely clunky interface, not much/ nothing you can do if it doesn't just work...
iii) Bluetooth OBD dongle thing and pair to phone or laptop.  Looks like there are free apps for android which should be able to clear fault codes.  But lots of moving parts, probably horrible apps, plenty to go wrong and similar to above probably not much customisation possible if it doesn't just work?

Leaning towards (i) as think I'll be able to get it working one way or another with worst case scenario having to steal and install a copy of windows xp on an old laptop....

tomtom

• forum hero
#851 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
March 04, 2021, 07:03:55 pm
I ‘think’ that for vag stuff the Bluetooth and phone app can work fine.

One for a vag forum?

The f@cking Volvo has to sync to some mainframe in Sweden via their own software to clear stuff. Means £30-40 from even an independent garage. Or get a knock off copy for £200.

sxrxg

• obsessive maniac
#852 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
March 04, 2021, 07:30:00 pm
 I can confirm no test drives until the 12th of April at the earliest. I was looking to replace the family wagon before the MOT was due however I refused to buy a used car without driving it first.

As for the replacement car why VAG cars specifically? There are some other interesting options that meet your requirements...

Lopez

• stalker
#853 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
March 04, 2021, 07:51:11 pm
The f@cking Volvo has to sync to some mainframe in Sweden via their own software to clear stuff. Means £30-40 from even an independent garage. Or get a knock off copy for £200.

You can clear standard codes with standard OBD2 readers. For things like airbag lights and to read/clear Volvo proprietary codes as well as general tinkering, the software you need is VIDA which is a free download, but you also need a dice unit (or vxdiag. Go for about £50/£100 depending on ebay inflation) and a laptop to put it all in (windows 7 max and a pain to setup).

You can buy laptops with VIDA preinstalled + DICE unit from £165 at todays prices which is not too bad (The guy selling them changes prices depending on the laptops he can get his hands on)

tomtom

• forum hero
#854 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
March 04, 2021, 07:57:22 pm
Nice one Lopez - last time I checked (couple or three years back) it seemed harder / more expensive. Had to clear a wheel sensor for the ABS in Nov...

Though thinking of moving the car on. Diesel guilt.. and it’s now done 120k. But it’s still going great...

Though at that point where it’s now only worth about 3k so maybe run it for a couple of years and if it looks like a big bill on the way not feel too bad about saying goodbye...

Stick or twist etc...

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#855 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
March 04, 2021, 07:57:54 pm
Talking of cars the Fiendmobile is showing it's age with various annoying niggles (just like it's owner) and thus I'm considering a similar replacement for when I'm able to drive further than the local Tesco.

Sticking with VAG of course, ideally a like-for-like slightly younger A3 but they seem to be pretty rare in the right spec (<7K, >2010, <80K, auto gearbox, 5 door - as I've turned into a right fanny I'm willing to go below 150bhp and above 9 sec 0-60 (although not too far!)). Thus have considered other options. Seat Leon - again pretty rare with the right spec. Skoda - not really similar.

What IS coming up a lot is a VW Golf, I tried one when I got the A3 but didn't like the inside ergonomics of the pre 2010 models, very low central console etc. They seem to improved since then, and obviously I'd be going for an era before everything got fucking touchscreen-ified for maximum inconvenience and driver distraction. There seem to be plenty around in 1.4 TSI (tempted be petrol after DPF issues) or 1.8+ TDI and decent spec. Not bothered about fanciness apart from steering wheel controls and cruise control. Any thoughts from the UKB massif?? Am I right in assuming that dealers are not doing test drives at the covid moment?? (Based on a sample of one dealer I tried, who said they were doing in-car inspections and start-ups but only 14 day money back guarantees in lieu of road tests).

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/bold-new-nissan-ariya-pivotal-electric-suv-310-mile-range  exactly, precisely what your asked for.

Duma

• forum hero
#856 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
March 04, 2021, 08:45:20 pm
If it’s a 5 cylinder D4 it’ll be fun and it’s a solid (if a little old) lump.

But the 4 pot D4’s had persistent problems with the EGR valve. It’s a fancy twin turbo set up (small one for low revs, large one for high) and when I was looking at Volvo forums (up to 2018) a good few people were still having problems with them. Multiple dealer visits etc.. may well be resolved now but it was an issue. Watch the tax too - that can be high for quicker diesels...
How can I tell? Sorry for car ignorance, my main requirement is it doesn't break!

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#857 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
March 04, 2021, 08:46:21 pm
I can confirm no test drives until the 12th of April at the earliest. I was looking to replace the family wagon before the MOT was due however I refused to buy a used car without driving it first.

As for the replacement car why VAG cars specifically? There are some other interesting options that meet your requirements...
Open to ideas but I really like the Audi and comparable models within the group. Hit me with the knowledge that fits the specs.

Also Fultonious I am not even clicking on that because I'm sure it's the cybertruck rip-off abortion that doesn't have any physical controls any more, I bet the fucking indicators are touchpads and all.

tomtom

• forum hero
#858 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
March 04, 2021, 09:04:25 pm

But the 4 pot D4’s had persistent problems with the EGR valve. It’s a fancy twin turbo set up (small one for low revs, large one for high) and when I was looking at Volvo forums (up to 2018) a good few people were still having problems with them. Multiple dealer visits etc.. may well be resolved now but it was an issue. Watch the tax too - that can be high for quicker diesels...
How can I tell? Sorry for car ignorance, my main requirement is it doesn't break!

D2[3]   D4162T   2012–2015   115 PS (85 kW; 113 hp)   270 N⋅m (199 lb⋅ft) at 1750–2500   1,560 cc (95.2 in3)   Ford & PSA
D3[3]   D5204T6   2012–2015   150 PS (110 kW; 148 hp)   350 N⋅m (258 lb⋅ft) at 1500–2750   1,984 cc (121.1 in3)   VD5
D4[3]   D5204T4   2012–2015   177 PS (130 kW; 175 hp)   400 N⋅m (295 lb⋅ft) at 1750–2750   1,984 cc (121.1 in3)   VD5
D2[16]   D4204T8   2015–2019   121 PS (89 kW; 119 hp)   280 N⋅m (207 lb⋅ft) at 1500–2250   1,969 cc (120.2 in3)   VEA
D3[16]   D4204T9   2015–2019   152 PS (112 kW; 150 hp)   320 N⋅m (236 lb⋅ft) at 1750–3000   1,969 cc (120.2 in3)   VEA
D4[16]   D4204T14   2015–2019   192 PS (141 kW; 189 hp)   400 N⋅m (295 lb⋅ft) at 1750–2500   1,969 cc (120.2 in3)   VEA

earlier one has different horsepower...

Lopez

• stalker
#859 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
March 04, 2021, 09:36:19 pm

That one is a 4cyl D4. They are actually very good engines, but on that particular car i'd personally pass.

2 of the MOT's it was taken to with dead tyres (and a nail in one!) It's wearing cheapo tyres right now. It has outstanding safety recalls (which are done for free by Volvo) and the MOT is about to expire (No excuse for that if you are a dealer). None of that gives any reassurance that the previous owner took care of the car, and it isn't a bargain to chance it.

Might be worth a punt for the number plate  ;D

If you really fancy one of those, plenty for sale in Facebook for example. If you search for 'V40 Rebel Blue' a fair few come up. (Rebel Blue colour was only offered in the R-Design trims, so they will all be the same or better). Searching for "V40" will throw more.

Just need to be careful and make all your checks if buying privately, though there's some dealers in there

For example

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/860945541143160/

Edit: Just seen that car i posted has outstanding finance.

sxrxg

• obsessive maniac
#860 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
March 04, 2021, 09:37:48 pm
Most obvious option is a 1 series BMW. Lots about to chose from that meet your requirements. As an example (£400 over budget yet looks nice) - http://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202102239381423?atmobcid=soc3

Alfa Romeo Guiletta. Dual clutch auto box very similar to the VAG DSG box. Alfa interior so nice seats/place to be. http://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202009023202520?atmobcid=soc3

Mercedes B class. Ok so it is an MPV. If you can live with that though the interiors look nice and they are good value second hand. http://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202103039692392?atmobcid=soc3

Honda Civic. Japanese so should be a good second hand buy in terms of reliability. Generally well reviewed. Only down side is the non premium badge. http://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202103039682326?atmobcid=soc3

Now for the totally left field option... Infiniti EX. V6 diesel in the Nissan premium small SUV package. Won't be cheap to run however it will be premium being the Nissan equivalent to Toyota's Lexus. http://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202102108900692?atmobcid=soc3

Duma

• forum hero
#861 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
March 04, 2021, 09:42:57 pm
Cheers Lopez, tbh that particular one I just posted because of the plate, I do think that model does tick most of my boxes though, and it is a great colour!

Paul B

• forum hero
#862 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
March 04, 2021, 09:51:50 pm
Whilst on the topic of VAG and OBD, anyone any (diy) experience of using OBD cables/scanners/software on VAGs?

I'm after clearing airbag light on Octavia II ahead of its MOT.  I take various seats out when car is in camping mode and this requires disconnecting airbag cables.  When seats go back in and connections remade, lights stay on but as I understand it, the fault just needs clearing.  Would be keen to be able to do this and other faiult code stuff myself rather than paying each time at MOT.  Brief research suggests 3 cheap options:
i) OBD usb cable and connect to laptop.  Only issue here is I don't think I have access to any older versions of windows which the software needs. ie. xp or 7.  I use linux so might be able to get it running in wine but bound to be faffy...
ii) OBD scanner thing.  self contained unit with little lcd screen.  likely clunky interface, not much/ nothing you can do if it doesn't just work...
iii) Bluetooth OBD dongle thing and pair to phone or laptop.  Looks like there are free apps for android which should be able to clear fault codes.  But lots of moving parts, probably horrible apps, plenty to go wrong and similar to above probably not much customisation possible if it doesn't just work?

Leaning towards (i) as think I'll be able to get it working one way or another with worst case scenario having to steal and install a copy of windows xp on an old laptop....

As I said earlier today, I've just cleared a lot on a 16 plate A6 Allroad (I linked the dongle and app). It was piss.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#863 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
March 04, 2021, 09:56:24 pm
Cheers sxrxg, some interesting ideas there....

BMW1 - have definitely considered this, did try one when I got the A3 but didn't like the feel as much. I met a UKBer with one who wasn't so keen. Not ruled it out completely.

Alfa - I've heard poor reports about their reliability. That model does look swank (a bit too much for me!) and not so keen on the inside.

Merc - bit big.

Honda - interesting, will factor that in. Looks okay, that one's a bit on the slow side tho.

Infiniti - those running costs had me closing the browser tab as quickly as possible!!

P.S. Thanks for the no test drive till mid-April confirmation, useful to know.

Lopez

• stalker
#864 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
March 04, 2021, 09:57:28 pm
Well that car has been up for sale at that price for 3 months, since at least 18 December 2020, so may be worth a phone call asking for a discount, a fresh MOT, the recalls done, and a 3/6 month guarantee  :whistle:

Edit: December 17th actually

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#865 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
March 04, 2021, 10:59:22 pm

Also Fultonious I am not even clicking on that because I'm sure it's the cybertruck rip-off abortion that doesn't have any physical controls any more, I bet the fucking indicators are touchpads and all.

:ras: :chair: :lol: :lol:

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
#866 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
March 05, 2021, 07:10:41 am
Talking of cars the Fiendmobile is showing it's age with various annoying niggles (just like it's owner) and thus I'm considering a similar replacement for when I'm able to drive further than the local Tesco.

Sticking with VAG of course, ideally a like-for-like slightly younger A3 but they seem to be pretty rare in the right spec (<7K, >2010, <80K, auto gearbox, 5 door - as I've turned into a right fanny I'm willing to go below 150bhp and above 9 sec 0-60 (although not too far!)). Thus have considered other options. Seat Leon - again pretty rare with the right spec. Skoda - not really similar.
Fiend, I picked up a 64 plate 2.0 diesel DSG Leon estate with only 21k miles, FSH etc for under 10k. Very impressed and happy with it (although I have mulled over a stage 1 conversion to get it up to 195 bhp). It didn't take much finding. They are out there.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#867 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
March 05, 2021, 08:48:00 am
Fiend, I'd never consider this personally as a die-hard £2k shed-man, but given the state of the car market lease / PCP deals are very low at the moment. If it's a route you'd consider it sounds like it's a good time to get a deal.

sxrxg

• obsessive maniac
#868 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
March 05, 2021, 09:11:33 am
So it appears the test drive rules have changed... https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry-news/covid-guidance-car-dealers-can-offer-test-drives-during-lockdown

It is possible to test drive however you must have paid a deposit and have your own insurance in place. TBH it sounds easier to just wait until showrooms open again in April unless you really need a car now.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#869 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
March 05, 2021, 09:15:32 am
Cheers people. The wee red thing is still going for now at least. Just the niggles are getting annoying.

Andy was that the thing blocking the parking bay at Pinfold meaning I had to trot my way up from parking halfway to the Berwynion?? ;). I'm not after an estate but will keep my eye on Leons, the idea of a budget VAG is appealing but although there were a few suitable options, not as much choice as Golfs.

Bradders

• forum hero
#870 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
March 05, 2021, 10:05:02 am
the idea of a budget VAG is appealing

If so, why are ruling out Skoda?

The Octavia is basically a larger, cheaper, Golf, and there are a number of other smaller options (Fabia, Scala, Rapid, etc.) if space isn't important (can't see why it wouldn't be for a climber...).

tomtom

• forum hero
#871 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
March 05, 2021, 10:23:45 am
From all the jdpowers surveys etc.. Skodas always do best of the vag group.

Implying (heavily) they’re better built (maybe not as ‘exciting’ though).

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#872 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
March 05, 2021, 10:39:40 am

+1 on Skodas - I had Fabia from 36k to nearly 90k and it was solid as.

If you go down the Octavia route there are the VRS models to which are pretty hot, and tune-able if you want to get silly:

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#873 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
March 05, 2021, 10:41:07 am
Good question Bradders. Mostly because I've really got used to a standard-sized hatchback (yes yes it's not all meticulously logical decision making) and the only like-for-like thing Skoda do - Scala - is out of my price range. Not sure I like the bulk of an Octavia, Fabia hatchback is too small, and Fabia estate, hmmmmmm if they still did a VRS...

tomtom

• forum hero
#874 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
March 05, 2021, 11:18:48 am
Good question Bradders. Mostly because I've really got used to a standard-sized hatchback (yes yes it's not all meticulously logical decision making) and the only like-for-like thing Skoda do - Scala - is out of my price range. Not sure I like the bulk of an Octavia, Fabia hatchback is too small, and Fabia estate, hmmmmmm if they still did a VRS...

The octavia is basically a Golf/A3/Leon with a boot on it. The estate is pretty much the same external dimensions as a Golf/Leon estate...

If you're after a newer one, the more recent 1.5 petrol engines are supposed to be great... (DSG too)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal