UKBouldering.com

Ankle (W)injury (Read 5379 times)

Wipey Why

• forum hero
Ankle (W)injury
March 19, 2013, 08:44:46 am
So I twisted my ankle the other week and it is taking a while to heal. I'm not climbing at the moment as weighting it still hurts.

I have been doing some lock off and core training along with a little on the beastmaker and the campus board (I'm being careful on the fingers, I don't want to injure them too).

Is there anything else I could be doing? Any comments/sage advice/piss taking welcome.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#1 Re: Ankle (W)injury
March 19, 2013, 09:05:28 am
work on flexibility?

pre-emptive rotator cuff training?

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#2 Re: Ankle (W)injury
March 19, 2013, 09:23:08 am
Hit the gym. You can do lots of excercises sitting on a bench instead of standing.
Press, curls, raises, triceps, pulley, lats...
And if you properly tape your ankle you'll also look hardcore an' oldskool because you keep training while injured. You'll pick up girls easily.
Part of this post is serious, part is not.

jfw

• forum abuser
  • banananananana
#3 Re: Ankle (W)injury
March 19, 2013, 09:24:33 am
If it isn't broken get that ankle moving. Mobility/twizzling it - without loading at first. Cycling is good for flexing it up and down. Then walking on it without limping (ice after). If you work it in a functional manner (i.e. walking) - without twisting it again (i.e. a bit carefully) - the damaged tissue will heal in a functional way (i.e. the muscle fibres etc grow in the right direction), if you sit and do nothing the repair is more multi directional - then you need to work at regaining mobility/ range of movement/ strength after.

Things to make it heal right and not happen again. Wobble board/ standing on one leg etc.

Wipey Why

• forum hero
#4 Re: Ankle (W)injury
March 19, 2013, 12:57:25 pm
Thanks for the suggestions guys  :clap2:

Dolly

• forum hero
#5 Re: Ankle (W)injury
March 19, 2013, 02:19:51 pm
standing on the weak ankle with your eyes closed
souds daft but means your ankle does more work
try it and youll see what i mean

Wipey Why

• forum hero
#6 Re: Ankle (W)injury
March 19, 2013, 02:26:48 pm

I did a bit of this at the end of a training session on Sunday - I'll remember to take the weight vest off next time  :slap:

SEDur

• stalker
  • Edam Tarquin
  • The future
#7 Re: Ankle (W)injury
March 20, 2013, 01:11:22 am
I sprained my ankle just over two weeks ago.
I could weight it after a few hours, but spent a week hobbling around.

Go and see a Physiotherapist.
Otherwise you will not do the necessary recovery for the specific injured parts (it sounds worse then mine), and it will never heal back to where it was or better then it was.

Then do the recovery work.

A Physio appointment is £30.
Your ability to use your foot as well as you used to, is worth far more then that.

All the people I know who are still suffering from ankle injuries, never recovered the injury correctly (and didn't go to the physio either).

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#8 Re: Ankle (W)injury
March 20, 2013, 01:40:46 am
I sprained my ankle a few years ago falling over pissed on our team Xmas do...once you can start weighting it again I'd recommend doing some Theraband stuff and also getting a wobble board from Decathlon (about a tenner) and doing some exercises on that.

crimp

#9 Re: Ankle (W)injury
March 20, 2013, 02:25:20 am
After a major sprained ankle, it was weak and trick for years, until someone recommended slacklining.

After a couple of months of that, my ankle has been good ever since.

Similar to using a wobble board i suppose, only more fun.

hongkongstuey

• forum hero
    • http://www.hongkongclimbing.com
#10 Re: Ankle (W)injury
March 20, 2013, 05:18:22 am

another variation on this is to stand one legged (the weak one) on a cushion and then bounce a tennis ball off the wall and catch it.

the softness of the cushion and having to do something else mean you have to really work at keeping the muscles supporting the ankle engaged. Agood way to strengthen things back up and prevent similar injuries in the future.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#11 Re: Ankle (W)injury
March 20, 2013, 06:59:52 am
If you have something that you really really want/need to do and the ankle is what's stopping you then you can try using an ankle support

I'm using the Aircast A60 on recommendation from a physio - provides good support and isn't too restrictive. With the struts up the side it is slightly more bulky than the basic compress-and-strap supports, but will still let you wear normal shoes - maybe not the tightest of climbing shoes, but I've been surprised how little it interferes with my footwear.

As I mentioned somewhere else it's the one that Andy "smiler" Murray used to recover from his twisted ankle and I'm told it is the only support with some good science behind it.

not cheap though at around £50

sizing seems to be based on people with more chunky joints than me - I use a medium for my size 11 foot

I've been amazed at it's ability to attract beautiful single women

Aircast make a more supportive brace, but I was worried that I'd end up breaking a leg or twisting my knee with a more restricted ankle

Wipey Why

• forum hero
#12 Re: Ankle (W)injury
March 20, 2013, 02:40:18 pm
I've been amazed at it's ability to attract beautiful single women

I'm sold!

chillax

• forum abuser
#13 Re: Ankle (W)injury
March 20, 2013, 05:02:47 pm
Wish I'd started a thread like this a couple of months ago! Buggered my ankle in red rocks on the 5th of Jan and haven't really climbed since. Also, stupidly, only went to a physio for the first time 2 weeks ago. Doing lots of rehab on it now. The only thing I'll say, is that if you haven't been already, go to a physio. Worst climbing related injury I've had. Very demoralizing.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal