UKBouldering.com

Olympic climbing triathlon (Read 29544 times)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#25 Re: Olympic climbing triathlon
March 13, 2013, 10:46:56 am
Is that confirmed? I was still hoping for Andy Kirkpatrick and Johnny Dawes.

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#26 Re: Olympic climbing triathlon
March 13, 2013, 11:20:15 am
Ken Wilson & Bear Grylls

rodma

• forum hero
#27 Re: Olympic climbing triathlon
March 13, 2013, 11:26:33 am
how about a monologue from chris webb parsnip moaning about the style of the climbing for several hours straight  :P

SA Chris

• forum hero
#28 Re: Olympic climbing triathlon
March 13, 2013, 11:30:33 am
How about commentary by Ivan Greene (wwwwwwhhhhhhoooooooooo?)

Dolly

• forum hero
#29 Re: Olympic climbing triathlon
March 13, 2013, 11:33:10 am
Murray Walker and Grimer

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
#30 Re: Olympic climbing triathlon
March 13, 2013, 12:43:35 pm
(Oh shit what have I started, sorry)

what I think they need to a climbing competition type x factor where the worst possible combinations win?

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#31 Re: Olympic climbing triathlon
March 13, 2013, 01:00:14 pm
commentary should include scrolling text (with maybe the odd linked photo) via a thread on UKB

there should be plenty of mics to record all mutterings and screeching from the competitors

crimp

#32 Re: Olympic climbing triathlon
March 13, 2013, 01:08:51 pm
Fantasy Olympic climbing commentary team:

Brian Blessed
Oliver reed (at closing time)
Anyone with tourettes

andy_e

• forum hero
#33 Re: Olympic climbing triathlon
March 13, 2013, 01:14:59 pm
Brian Blessed

"Now the dangerous trad event, and stepping up for the UK. Jordan Buys.

"He sets off, climbs smoothly top the top crux, way above the runner. He looks a little sketchy there... Oh no, he's fallen! It's a big fall!

"Is he OK? Yes, yes, I think he is! JORDAN'S ALIVE!"

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#34 Re: Olympic climbing triathlon
March 13, 2013, 02:00:30 pm
Brian Blessed "OH FOR F***S SAKE! STOP FANNYING AROUND AND MAKE THE F***ING MOVE! These young climbers know nothing about commitment. When I was on Everest..."

Stuart Hall (as long as he turns out to be innocent) "and here come the Russians, ha, ha ha , haaa!"

Joe Picalli (after a bottle or two) providing technical advice and extra enthusiasm when the other two have to go for a wee

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#35 Re: Olympic climbing triathlon
March 13, 2013, 02:07:56 pm
I was just going to suggest the dream team of Picalli and dense.

crimp

#36 Re: Olympic climbing triathlon
March 13, 2013, 02:12:22 pm
I listened to shauna coxsey radio interview this morning.

She said if Brian Blessed ain't commentating, she ain't interested (i may be paraphrasing slightly, but that was the gist of it)

a dense loner

• forum hero
#37 Re: Olympic climbing triathlon
March 13, 2013, 03:34:38 pm
What's more worrying jas was I worked wi joe in Liverpool n we talked poetry. Yeh you read that right.
Roses are fuckin red...

SA Chris

• forum hero
#38 Re: Olympic climbing triathlon
March 13, 2013, 03:46:52 pm
Ive heard that one

"Roses are red
Violents are blue
I've got a knife
Get in the van"

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
    • The Works, it's the Bollocks
#39 Re: Olympic climbing triathlon
March 13, 2013, 04:27:47 pm
Sloper and Mr Pickford

a dense loner

• forum hero
#40 Re: Olympic climbing triathlon
March 13, 2013, 04:37:25 pm
Roses are red... There's no fucking in it

Pretty shitty city

Sorry I would talk sense in this thread but someone mentioned speed climbing way before I did

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#41 Re: Olympic climbing triathlon
March 14, 2013, 09:06:38 am
I think we need to go back to a tried and tested commentating duo - Chris Bonington and Ian McNaught-Davis!
"Looks like face powder" "Perhaps it is"

Baldy

• obsessive maniac
  • Low Bawler
    • CBclimbing
#42 Re: Olympic climbing triathlon
March 15, 2013, 12:59:32 pm
Brian Blessed

"Now the dangerous trad event, and stepping up for the UK. Jordan Buys.

"He sets off, climbs smoothly top the top crux, way above the runner. He looks a little sketchy there... Oh no, he's fallen! It's a big fall!

"Is he OK? Yes, yes, I think he is! JORDAN'S ALIVE!"
:clap2:  :2thumbsup: :clap2:

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#43 Re: Olympic climbing triathlon
March 18, 2013, 03:13:33 pm
http://thebmc.co.uk/faster-higher-stonger

18 March 2013

Faster, higher, stronger: climbing closer to the Olympics?

An exciting new format for climbing is being proposed for the Olympics, which will combine speed climbing, lead climbing and bouldering.

The announcement was made last week (9 March) by International Federation of Sport Climbing (IFSC) President Marco Scolaris, at the IFSC Plenary Assembly in Shanghai.

This decision comes on the recommendation of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) Technical Commission following a visit by IOC representatives to the 2012 Climbing World Championships in Paris where lead, speed and bouldering competitions took place spectacularly alongside one another. Previously, the IFSC had proposed lead climbing as a single discipline for the Olympic bid.

This multi-discipline format will be championed when the IFSC gives its presentation to the IOC Executive Board at the end of May, along with the seven other sports bidding for Olympic status for 2020.  Following the presentations, the shortlist is expected to be narrowed down to three sports. The final vote by the IOC will take place in September.

Dave Turnbull, BMC CEO said:

“It’s exciting to hear that a combined event of all three climbing disciplines is being put forward for consideration for the 2020 Olympics. This will make it even more impressive to watch.

“Climbing embodies the Olympic motto perfectly and even more so with this combination: Faster – speed climbing; Higher – lead climbing; Stronger – bouldering.

“The next couple of months are crucial for climbing’s bid. We’re a step closer to knowing what climbing would look like at the Olympics and we’re hoping it’ll become a reality. The switch to a multi-discipline event may be just what’s needed to secure a place for climbing on the shortlist in May. Fingers crossed.”

The ‘triathlon’ of climbing would be likely to take place over six days, with two days devoted to each discipline. Competitors would take part in all three climbing events with medals awarded for combined overall performance.

Climbing reflects the Olympic motto ‘Faster, Higher, Stronger’ in the following way:
•   Speed climbing has the excitement of watching climbers race up identical routes to see who gets to the top in the fastest time.
•   Lead climbing (with ropes) tests the endurance of climbers as they compete to see who can get highest.
•   Bouldering (without ropes) is the ultimate climbing test of strength and power.

crimp

#45 Re: Olympic climbing triathlon
March 18, 2013, 04:23:04 pm
Sorry, just off realised shark has already pasted article up.

crimp

#46 Re: Olympic climbing triathlon
April 19, 2013, 11:28:26 am
Any youngsters out there want their crack at fame, and a breakfast cereal endorsement deal?

Here's all you need to do:

https://thebmc.co.uk/want-to-climb-in-the-olympics-in-2020

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#47 Re: Olympic climbing triathlon
April 19, 2013, 02:14:50 pm
http://thebmc.co.uk/faster-higher-stonger

18 March 2013

Faster, higher, stronger: climbing closer to the Olympics?

An exciting new format for climbing is being proposed for the Olympics, which will combine speed climbing, lead climbing and bouldering.

The announcement was made last week (9 March) by International Federation of Sport Climbing (IFSC) President Marco Scolaris, at the IFSC Plenary Assembly in Shanghai.

This decision comes on the recommendation of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) Technical Commission following a visit by IOC representatives to the 2012 Climbing World Championships in Paris where lead, speed and bouldering competitions took place spectacularly alongside one another. Previously, the IFSC had proposed lead climbing as a single discipline for the Olympic bid.

This multi-discipline format will be championed when the IFSC gives its presentation to the IOC Executive Board at the end of May, along with the seven other sports bidding for Olympic status for 2020.  Following the presentations, the shortlist is expected to be narrowed down to three sports. The final vote by the IOC will take place in September.

Dave Turnbull, BMC CEO said:

“It’s exciting to hear that a combined event of all three climbing disciplines is being put forward for consideration for the 2020 Olympics. This will make it even more impressive to watch.

“Climbing embodies the Olympic motto perfectly and even more so with this combination: Faster – speed climbing; Higher – lead climbing; Stronger – bouldering.

“The next couple of months are crucial for climbing’s bid. We’re a step closer to knowing what climbing would look like at the Olympics and we’re hoping it’ll become a reality. The switch to a multi-discipline event may be just what’s needed to secure a place for climbing on the shortlist in May. Fingers crossed.”

The ‘triathlon’ of climbing would be likely to take place over six days, with two days devoted to each discipline. Competitors would take part in all three climbing events with medals awarded for combined overall performance.

Climbing reflects the Olympic motto ‘Faster, Higher, Stronger’ in the following way:
•   Speed climbing has the excitement of watching climbers race up identical routes to see who gets to the top in the fastest time.
•   Lead climbing (with ropes) tests the endurance of climbers as they compete to see who can get highest.
•   Bouldering (without ropes) is the ultimate climbing test of strength and power.

I know this is probably aimed at none climbers, but I can't help having the horrible feeling this is the first wave in a ceasless tide of objectionable dross.

It’s exciting to hear that a combined event of all three climbing disciplines... Climbing embodies the Olympic motto perfectly and even more so with this combination: Faster – speed climbing; Higher – lead climbing; Stronger – bouldering.

:-\ Like speed climbing is even a thing to most climbers, let alone an equal third of the whole. And lead climbing is all about gaining height?!

« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 07:27:57 pm by Bonjoy »

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#48 Re: Olympic climbing triathlon
April 19, 2013, 02:18:13 pm
Shush bonjoy, there's important management speak in action here. Think outside the box man!

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#49 Re: Olympic climbing triathlon
April 19, 2013, 06:16:28 pm
And lead climbing is all about gaining height?!

That' generally how lead climbs work, yes. Have you never watched one?

I can't help having the horrible feeling this is the first wave in a ceasless tide of objectionable dross

Agrees. Had this triathlon been the option upfront I suspect the BMC would have had a harder time gaining support. Not that that would have made any difference...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal