Injured warmup (Read 2210 times)

SEDur

• stalker
  • Edam Tarquin
  • The future
Injured warmup
March 05, 2013, 02:52:33 pm
Hi all.
I couldn't find a useful thread on this.

I have sprained my ankle (boo). However, I don't want to loose any strength while I cannot use the leg.
So I intend to keep on training by doing exercises that don't required the aforementioned leg.

Doing fingerboard/core/other work.

However, I am struggling to come up with a good warm up routine that doesn't involve any form of jogging/jumping etc.

Has anyone else had this kind of problem before, and what did you do to warm up?
Any advice would be amazing!

Cheers guys and gals!

andy_e

• forum hero
#1 Re: Injured warmup
March 05, 2013, 02:55:12 pm
Do a fingerboard routine standing on a chair so as to warm gently into the full fingerboard exercise?

Dolly

• forum hero
#2 Re: Injured warmup
March 05, 2013, 02:55:55 pm
Use a theraband to get your arms and shoulders going.
Loads of exercises if you search for them.

tomtom

• forum hero
#3 Re: Injured warmup
March 05, 2013, 04:05:31 pm
Do a fingerboard routine standing on a chair so as to warm gently into the full fingerboard exercise?

+1 thats what I do.. steadily move the chair further away from the fingerboard to increase the load on the hands etc...

fried

• forum hero
#4 Re: Injured warmup
March 05, 2013, 07:16:17 pm
And start walking on the ankle as soon as you can put weight on it.

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#5 Re: Injured warmup
March 07, 2013, 11:33:49 pm
depends how badly your ankle is sprained. I have always found cycling (stay in the saddle) excellent ankle rehab, and would provide a good pulse raiser. Obviously this is of limited help if you don't have access to a bike / exercise bike.

Dexter

• obsessive maniac
#6 Re: Injured warmup
March 09, 2013, 02:38:59 pm
can you do some low level traversing on one leg? or using the injured one very very lightly. Also a good way to build into using the leg before walking as you can put less pressure on it

SEDur

• stalker
  • Edam Tarquin
  • The future
#7 Re: Injured warmup
March 20, 2013, 05:16:46 pm
Thanks for all the help and advice! I have taken it all on board and have come up with something I think works.

I also took a visit to the physio and got given a recovery plan for the injured bits.

To warm up, I rotate between 30s - 1min on 2 mins off of situps, pushups, planks, dishes and hangs on the board using a chair.
I am building up the intensity of the exercises for each round, to try and ease my body into work mode.

I have ordered a Theraband and a proprioception disk (basically an air filled rubber disk that you can stand on with the bad leg). And I cannot wait for it to turn up!

As for staying in shape I have started doing the CWP fingerboard training, supplemented with sets of weighted pull-ups and lock-offs. As well as 1min on 30s off of the standard exercises; sit-up, dish, pushups, plank, some lower weight bicep curls before pullups.

Being very careful with the pushups and planks not to further the injury to my ankle.
I would do side planks, but I'm not sure about training one side and not the other.

I have also gotten on the bicycle a couple times, my ankle seems very stiff but I am sure it will loosen up over time and exercise. However, I have never used my bicycle for training and do not have the first clue.
Does anyone have a go-to training regime a beginner can do on a mountain bike?

Also doing movement drills on my good leg between bad holds on an overhanging wall.
I would campus, but my local wall doesn't have any form of real training facilities (it is rubbish).
And going between holds on the beastmaker, footless when possible.

If anyone has any more advice, that would be wicked.
Cheers

webbo

• forum hero
#8 Re: Injured warmup
March 20, 2013, 05:26:58 pm
I've no idea what a go to training regime is for a mountainbike. However depending on how bad your ankle is a rough plan based on using a turbo trainer would be.
At first just sit on it and pedal with NO resistance.
When this is not causing any discomfort gradually increase the resistance and the length of the sessions. i.e 10% a week.
Or man up and tape your ankle up and go as hard as you can.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal