UKBouldering.com

Breakdown of bouldering (Read 11366 times)

alfred69

Breakdown of bouldering
February 26, 2013, 12:48:44 pm
Hi all

As part of my college, i'm trying to break down the sport from a general level to specific to bouldering
Any ideas?

tomtom

• forum hero
#1 Re: Breakdown of bouldering
February 26, 2013, 12:53:30 pm
Hi all

As part of my college, i'm trying to break down the sport from a general level to specific to bouldering
Any ideas?

I'm sorry - but your question does not make any sense. Which sport? What do you mean by general level? and what are you trying to break down?

crimp

#2 Re: Breakdown of bouldering
February 26, 2013, 01:21:25 pm
Alright bud.

Do you mean you want to examine where bouldering belongs in the wider game of rock climbing or mountaineering? It's history, development, current state of play, etc?

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#3 Re: Breakdown of bouldering
February 26, 2013, 01:23:11 pm
Hi all

Any ideas?
Do English instead of Sports Studies?

Sorry, that's a bit harsh. Please could you re-phrase the question.

crimp

#4 Re: Breakdown of bouldering
February 26, 2013, 01:40:51 pm
I already wouldn't be surprised if OP doesn't clarify any further. Puts one post up asking for help and met with questions about his level of English. Fella could be dyslexic, or not have such a good grasp of grammar, or had the privilege of your education. Fuck me folks. Cut the guy some slack. This ain't that other pedantic channel.

Albert, if you clarify I'll be happy to point you in the right direction if i can.

Crimp   

tomtom

• forum hero
#5 Re: Breakdown of bouldering
February 26, 2013, 02:00:18 pm
To be fair Crimp, Barnaclejoy only put one line up with a 'sorry thats a bit harsh' disclaimer below... the other comments are all pretty straight down the line...

crimp

#6 Re: Breakdown of bouldering
February 26, 2013, 02:06:57 pm
Was just nipping it in the bud.

The side was there. If barnaclejoy really thought their initial comment was a bit harsh, they could have deleted it, rather than including it and commenting on it?

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#7 Re: Breakdown of bouldering
February 26, 2013, 02:13:35 pm
I already wouldn't be surprised if OP doesn't clarify any further. Puts one post up asking for help and met with questions about his level of English. Fella could be dyslexic, or not have such a good grasp of grammar, or had the privilege of your education. Fuck me folks. Cut the guy some slack. This ain't that other pedantic channel.

Albert, if you clarify I'll be happy to point you in the right direction if i can.

Crimp

Would have been nice if you'd got the OPs name right after all that indignence.  It's Alfred.

Sorry to be a pedant

crimp

#8 Re: Breakdown of bouldering
February 26, 2013, 02:21:14 pm
Yes it would be nice to get his name right

Whenever i read a name, or am introduced to someone i create a name for them in my head and it sticks forever, regardless of the medication.

Whch illustrates my point.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#9 Re: Breakdown of bouldering
February 26, 2013, 04:02:23 pm

Crimp

Would have been nice if you'd got the OPs name right after all that indignence.  It's Alfred.

Sorry to be a pedant

Now now nai. Fella could be dyslexic, or not have such a good grasp of grammar, or had the privilege of your education.
Right Grimp?   :)

Have to smile at the idea of GCSE English from Mort's comprehensive Alfreton being a privileged education. You never know Alfred might be from Angola...
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 04:08:48 pm by Bonjoy »

crimp

#10 Re: Breakdown of bouldering
February 26, 2013, 04:11:01 pm
That's right. Hilarious.

Read right through the black dog thread on UKB, and laugh your ass off!

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#11 Re: Breakdown of bouldering
February 26, 2013, 04:27:27 pm
Alright sorry, I didn't spot the meds remark and hadn't read other thread. No offence intended, to anyone on this thread. Both jibes intended as lighthearted banter. PM me if you want anything deleted.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#12 Re: Breakdown of bouldering
February 26, 2013, 04:38:59 pm
To give you a serious answer. Maybe people’s responses to the OP were not the most friendly, but neither were they particularly objectionable. Under the standard issue UKB banter was a fair point, i.e. if he intends to do a good piece of work and get a decent grade for it, he needs to address the fundamental problem of his flawed question. If the guy did have dyslexia it would be prudent to advertise the fact in his signature to avoid misunderstanding.

crimp

#13 Re: Breakdown of bouldering
February 26, 2013, 04:54:10 pm
My response to OP was, and remains, friendly.

His initial question may have been grammatically leftfield.

Banter is good, but only where that banter is understood, accepted, and welcomed. To an outsider it can be a devastating put down.

I was right, Albert hasn't come back.

Congratulations!

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#14 Re: Breakdown of bouldering
February 26, 2013, 04:54:44 pm
I'm sorry but the OP made a lazy, shit first post.

People were right to criticize.

If you want useful information for "part of your college" then make the effort to write a comprehensible post.  If you're dyslexic then get somebody to help you or use a spell-checking aid.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#15 Re: Breakdown of bouldering
February 26, 2013, 06:05:12 pm

Banter is good, but only where that banter is understood, accepted, and welcomed. To an outsider it can be a devastating put down.

I detest the phrase 'banter' it seems to imply that the content is all joking and no substance and therefore any jokes are fine, which is often far from the case.  And as you highlight if you're not familiar with it you can feel ostracised.

Read a good polemic against it a while back (quite why I was reading a Sports Blog I've no idea  :-\ ).

All forums and their users have expectations for communication, we have this great thing called language* that allows us to communicate.  Unfortunately what is often lost when doing so in forums is the spontaneity of being able to question someone when you don't understand them and get an immediate response as has happened here because alfred69 made their post and left, likely to return later today or a few days time to see what people have posted in response to their question. 

Hopefully they'll be able to express their question a bit clearer then.

* Note also one of the very few forum rules.

rich d

• forum hero
#16 Re: Breakdown of bouldering
February 26, 2013, 06:13:41 pm
Just to defend Bonjoy. I used to live near Alfreton, it is a shit hole and if you grew up there you can't be expected to be responsible for anything you write. Cut the poor bastard some slack. 

chris j

• forum abuser
#17 Re: Breakdown of bouldering
February 26, 2013, 06:36:15 pm

His initial question may have been grammatically leftfield.

No, it wasn't just leftfield, it was practically meaningless. No hint of what subject he's studying or any background to give us a clue from what angle he wants to approach the subject and how to respond helpfully. I'm all for helping out but he needs to put in enough effort to come up with a coherent question first.

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#18 Re: Breakdown of bouldering
February 26, 2013, 06:46:19 pm
Its been a while, but I just couldn't resist  ;)

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#19 Re: Breakdown of bouldering
February 26, 2013, 08:16:11 pm

What's indignence?

Sorry to be a pedant

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#20 Re: Breakdown of bouldering
February 26, 2013, 10:01:21 pm
Just let the lad ask the same question, with a bit more direction...

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#21 Re: Breakdown of bouldering
February 26, 2013, 10:23:25 pm
I think he's after an explanation of what bouldering is, what separates it from mountaineering+climbing in general, as part of a module at college. BTEC maybe?

Unfortunately he hasn't been back to clear up what he really wants answered, not entirely surprising given the nature of the responses. People who use the forum regularly know that what looks scornful is usually lighthearted. A first-time poster might fear further mockery if he posts again.

To Alfred:
Post your question again, you WILL get sensible answers, the humour is not intended to be nasty -so have another go.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal