UKBouldering.com

Dolomite Accommodation (Read 2538 times)

AB

• regular
Dolomite Accommodation
February 07, 2013, 01:45:52 pm
Six of us are heading to the dolomites in late june/ early july for two weeks this year. Seen lots of people posting about trips to the dolomites, Just wondering whether anyone would have a apartment/ chalet to recommend?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1 Re: Dolomite Accommodation
February 07, 2013, 01:50:17 pm
I camped I'm afraid (meant we could be based in different areas) so can't recommend anywhere.  Where are you looking to base yourselves though (Cortina/Canazei/Brenta/Civetta)?

Likely heading back again this year myself though  :2thumbsup:

AB

• regular
#2 Re: Dolomite Accommodation
February 07, 2013, 11:06:56 pm
Yer, looks awesome! Thinking of basing ourselves in Cortina if you think that's sensible? Camping is an option too but going to look at apartments first.

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#3 Re: Dolomite Accommodation
February 08, 2013, 08:56:09 am
We camped too; the campsites in Cortina are pretty good. There are three close together just south of the town. "Dolomiti" was a bit nicer than "Cortina"; we didn't look at "Rochetta".

Cortina area? Hmm. From my limited experience (two trips): if you're a small, focused team and you get lucky with the weather, there's better climbing elsewhere. Pala, Sella, Marmolada ... 

Cortina otoh has the big advantage of having a lot of very accessible shorter stuff around the Cinque Torri / Falzareggo Pass for iffy weather & easier days. It certainly has the something for everybody factor: I think on one day in my group my mate & I did the Third Tofana Pillar as our first proper Long Route, the big boys did the Comici on the Cima Grande and the others went cragging on the Falzareggo Pass. Everybody happy.

tomtom

• forum hero
#4 Re: Dolomite Accommodation
February 08, 2013, 09:27:50 am
We stayed in the campsite with the pizzarea (which was good and cheaper than most places in town) - down by the river to the south of the town. I suspect it was imaginatively called camping cortina! I've also stayed at the one to the north of the town.. the S. one was much better... though neither were bad...

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#5 Re: Dolomite Accommodation
February 08, 2013, 09:31:24 am
We stayed in the campsite with the pizzarea (which was good and cheaper than most places in town) - down by the river to the south of the town. I suspect it was imaginatively called camping cortina!

Indeed it is. Good fruit & veg kiosk too. But Dolomiti - the one right next door - had a lower caravan factor and nice spaces for small tents under shady trees. Best bet is camp at Dolomiti & go next door for shopping & nightlife.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#6 Re: Dolomite Accommodation
February 08, 2013, 09:32:44 am
We stayed in the campsite with the pizzarea (which was good and cheaper than most places in town) - down by the river to the south of the town. I suspect it was imaginatively called camping cortina! I've also stayed at the one to the north of the town.. the S. one was much better... though neither were bad...

Two of the campsites (Cortina and Rochetta) are either side of the road.....and both right next to the river.  We stayed at Rochetta which had a small shop and bar which did pizzas, but Cortina also had a larger pizzeria/bar.  Didn't actually eat in either though so can't comment on quality.

Cortina from Rcohetta...

Camping Cortina by slack---line, on Flickr

tomtom

• forum hero
#7 Re: Dolomite Accommodation
February 08, 2013, 09:33:38 am
Thats the badger... ahh.. memories of 7 days of continuous rain... ;)

AB

• regular
#8 Re: Dolomite Accommodation
February 08, 2013, 11:44:33 pm
Cortina sounds perfect, no-one in the group has much multipitch experience so smaller routes are better than longer ones, at the least for the start of the trip! My friend has found this accomodation which looks good http://www.homeaway.co.uk/p844568#rates. Starting to get psyched! This might be a silly question, is there much good single pitch sport climbing in the dolomites? We would be going for the big stuff but some sportclimbing would be fun for a easy day or two

tomtom

• forum hero
#9 Dolomite Accommodation
February 08, 2013, 11:52:36 pm
There were a couple of nice regular style euro sports crags nearby iirc.. 15-20 min drive away. Amenable slabs and other stuff. Don't forget via Ferrara stuff, it's a good day out..

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#10 Re: Dolomite Accommodation
February 09, 2013, 10:53:47 am
There is a reasonable amount of easy and moderate sport climbing around Cortina.  The Falzarego Pass crags and the Cinque Torre are probably the most extensive areas.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal