UKBouldering.com

Assisted pullups (Read 1636 times)

James Malloch

• forum hero
Assisted pullups
February 05, 2013, 12:32:58 pm
Are they worth incorporating into a fingerboard session to get onto smaller holds/less fingers? Or is it better to work your way up them?

Luke Owens

• forum hero
    • My Blog
#1 Re: Assisted pullups
February 05, 2013, 12:46:58 pm
I think it's definitely worth using a pulley system and slowly decreasing the assisted weight until you can hang the hold unassisted.

It's good way to measure progress and work up to it a bit at a time.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#2 Re: Assisted pullups
February 05, 2013, 12:54:24 pm
I been doing assisted one arm pull-ups on the Beastmaker for the last few weeks to warm up for weighted deadhangs and it seems to work well as both a warm-up and improving pulling strength.

It depends what edges/level you are working but FWIW the way I do it is to start by using the RH Beastmaker outer slot with my LH and all 4 fingers of my RH on the small crimp below it and then do 3 pull-ups going into a deepish lock each time which I can gauge because my head touches the ceiling. Then I swap sides. For the next set I do a further 2x3 but with just the front3 on the edge. The set after is back3. I am currently finishing by try it with front 2 with a view to progressing to back 2 once I can do 2x3. BTW you need a fair bit of clearance either side of the Beastmaker to do this - more than your average doorway. I did try initially with a pulley system with a foot sling one armed but found this worked better. Hopefully I will be able to one arm the slot eventually.   

James Malloch

• forum hero
#3 Re: Assisted pullups
February 05, 2013, 02:04:02 pm
Cool, thanks! I'll try and set some kind of system up tonight. Would be good to do a 1 armer too!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal