UKBouldering.com

Training in hot conditions (Read 2026 times)

Gallant

• player
Training in hot conditions
February 03, 2013, 12:13:03 pm
In not much over a months time I'm off to hotter climes for 6 months, obviously during this time I'm wanting to keep on top of training, so I'll be bringing my beastmaker out with me, and hopefully building a campus board when I'm there too. The only issue is of course, that I'm not used to climbing or training in temperatures which can hit 50 degrees. Does anyone have any tips on how best to cope with those sort of temperatures in terms of skin, and generally sweating?

iwasmexican

• obsessive maniac
#1 Re: Training in hot conditions
February 03, 2013, 12:36:00 pm
get a fan

JonI

• regular
#2 Re: Training in hot conditions
February 03, 2013, 02:50:17 pm
It sucks but... morning sessions.  Expect to feel rubbish at first though.

biscuit

• menacing presence
#3 Re: Training in hot conditions
February 03, 2013, 07:47:03 pm
I used to wait for the cool of the evenings as i hate morning training. Unfortunately the heat would build up during the day and it never got cool enough for optimum conditions.

A fan and mornings are the way ahead.

It took me a while to get into it but it comes good in the end.

jmews

• regular
#4 Re: Training in hot conditions
February 03, 2013, 10:01:43 pm
I can only echo everyone else. Morning sessions are the way to go. Evening heat lingers through for too long. I find myself wanting to wake up early when we are in the high 40s anyway.

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#5 Re: Training in hot conditions
February 03, 2013, 11:12:04 pm
Does anyone have any tips on how best to cope with those sort of temperatures in terms of skin, and generally sweating?

I've found skin more of a problem when its cold to be honest - sweating is likely to depend on humidity as much as temperature, no? Liquid chalk is your friend here. With stuff like a BM, i would imagine that adding more weight may be more effective than working worse holds, where grease is probably more of a limiting factor than strength? I found that trying to forget what cool crisp conditions feel like is the best strategy, and climb early or  late as others have said.

Gallant

• player
#6 Re: Training in hot conditions
February 21, 2013, 12:41:05 pm
What size fan are we talking about? I'm likely to be training outside on the board, and in conditions where power is likely to be limited, this would unfortunately most probably limit me to a really shit handheld fan. I'll see how I get on, and when internet accessibility is available, let everyone know how I'm managing with it.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#7 Re: Training in hot conditions
February 22, 2013, 12:41:14 pm
40/50 degrees will be hell.
Do very little, use a fan and drink liters and liters.
I wouldn't fingerboard or campus. I'd just do some weights.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal