UKBouldering.com

Rock vandalism at Robin Hood's & Cratcliffe (Read 20626 times)

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
Dropped in for a quick look today. Was with little one so couldn't do much stabilising but I did manage to tidy up some of them and seal a couple (crimp on Razor Roof and sloper/crimp on RHS hard slab).
It looks like all the probs on Razor Roof will be made harder by this chipping. Gaining the holds over the lip on the left arete prob and RR itself will be harder, RZA roof might have to use a different sequence and might now be a bit contrived. I'd guess at everything going up a grade.
The chipping near Kaluza is on The Kid. A mess but don't think it will change the prob much. Though the undercut looks a bit less stable than it was and might fall off one day.
Didn't spot any chips other than the ones already found by others, but didn't check everything.

It may well be totally unrelated but I noticed that some of the wall next to the stile near Razor Roof has fallen down (looks pretty recent). Maybe the farmer saw this, attributed it to climbers and decided to get his own back.  :shrug:
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 04:59:27 pm by Bonjoy »

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
Maybe the farmer saw this, attributed it to climbers and decided to get his own back.  :shrug:

Must admit a farmer who's maybe had enough of folk damaging walls, gates, paths, disturbing livestock, etc., did cross my mind as a possible cuplrit.  Otherwise, an older local who can remember it as a nice quiet spot before all the climbers came and ruined it.. Obviously nothing to base these guesses on though.
Most of the boulders you'd come across on a random stroll around the area but The Kid and especially the Cave take a bit of getting to so the fact someone's gone out of their way to damage these suggests to me it's action against climbers.

dave

Dropped in for a quick look today. Was with little one so couldn't do much stabilising but I did manage to tidy up some of them and seal a couple (crimp on Razor Roof and sloper/crimp on RHS hard slab).
It looks like all the probs on Razor Roof will be made harder by this chipping. Gaining the holds over the lip on the left arete prob and RR itself will be harder, RZA roof might have to use a different sequence and might now be a bit contrived. I'd guess at everything going up a grade.
The chipping near Kaluza is on The Kid. A mess but don't think it will change the prob much. Though the undercut looks a bit less stable than it was and might fall off one day.
Didn't spot any chips other than the ones already found by others, but didn't check everything.

It may well be totally unrelated but I noticed that some of the wall next to the stile near Razor Roof has fallen down (looks pretty recent). Maybe the farmer saw this, attributed it to climbers and decided to get his own back.  :shrug:

hang on then, whats actually been damaged on the RR block - I thought it was that hold under the roof (near RR and the left arete) that only umpalumpas use, and one of the crimps over on the right side?

Gus

• obsessive maniac
  • Smash It In!
From the pics it looks like the good crimp just underneath the roof on Razor Roof has been chipped off, it wouldn't make a difference to anyone of average height upwards but for shorter than that it was pretty useful, it was also important for setting up on the left arete problem.

Got to say I'm really gutted about all this, been climbing at the stride and cratcliffe for years, it's such a shame, the pics of that arete are heartbreaking!!!

tomtom

• forum hero
Got to say I'm really gutted about all this, been climbing at the stride and cratcliffe for years, it's such a shame, the pics of that arete are heartbreaking!!!

yeah - thinking about it more, I just don't get the arete destruction. Chalky holds under a roof/in a cave are obviously going to annoy climbers, but probably dont dent the overall aesthetic so much. So, if I could see that happening to piss off climbers.

Mullahing the shit out of that lovely clean arete - right out in the open - leaves a horrible scar that surely no one with any sort of love for the countryside would want to see (that includes farmers, walkers, landowners etc..).

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
Mullahing the shit out of that lovely clean arete - right out in the open - leaves a horrible scar that surely no one with any sort of love for the countryside would want to see (that includes farmers, walkers, landowners etc..).

Its very hard to understand isn't it? I can't see how anyone who could do that could have any level of respect for the countryside whatsoever. Just a really nasty piece of vandalism.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent

hang on then, whats actually been damaged on the RR block - I thought it was that hold under the roof (near RR and the left arete) that only umpalumpas use, and one of the crimps over on the right side?
On RR two damaged handholds and some minor damage to a foothold. It's ages since it did RR or the arete but I think the two handholds where key holds on it. Looked harder to me but I could be wrong.
The main crimp on RZA roof chipped off. What's left might be useable but I think another sequence will probably now be easier.
All very horrible. What's worse is the feeling whoever did it could turn up and do the same tomorrow.

cofe

• forum hero
Makes you wonder how it's possible at such a popular place. Middle of the night? While pissing it down?

Horrible.

tomtom

• forum hero
#58 Rock vandalism at Robin Hood's & Cratcliffe
February 01, 2013, 09:39:46 pm
Exactly, the wrong time of year - not exactly a warm summers evening when you might expect some pissed up yoofs to be aimlessly wandering around etc..

SamT

• forum hero
What's worse is the feeling whoever did it could turn up and do the same tomorrow...

...at another world class gritstone bouldering venue   :ohmy:

:wank:

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
I just can't begin to get my head round this one at all. The damage seems too severe to have been done by climbers but why would anyone bother with the time and effort to do this otherwise, I can only imagine it's youths or scallwags or hooligans or worse all three working together.

dave

#61 Rock vandalism at Robin Hood's & Cratcliffe
February 02, 2013, 06:57:49 am
You're forgetting about hoodlums, tearaways, and punk kids.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

I get the horrible feeling that whoever did this is sitting at home reading forums such as this and feeling content that they've got exactly the reaction they were looking for.

Offwidth

• forum hero
    • Offwidth
Had a look yesterday before watching the rugby at a mates house in Matlock. As well as the areas described on the hanging arete forming the right of Diamond slab. A few people had been checking for other damage but hadn't found anything other than these as yet. Aside from the rock damage, part of the wooden fence is broken next to the approach stile to middle cratcliffe from below.

dr_botnik

• addict
  • Not actually a dr
whats the time spacing between this and the damage to joe's slab? Maybe we all need to be a bit extra vigilant over the coming weeks, this looks to be escalating  :-\

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
Reclimbed the things on Razor Roof today. I don't think the chips make any difference to RR for my height but I think short folk will find it harder. The left arete is unchanged. RZA Roof is a bit harder, worth 7b now I think.

SpanishJuan

• obsessive maniac
  • two dumplings short of a stew
  • punter
 :o :'(

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal