UKBouldering.com

Rock vandalism at Robin Hood's & Cratcliffe (Read 20621 times)

tomtom

• forum hero
Jesus that's bad. Looking at the circular nature of the impacts, looks like its been done with a hammer with a rounded ball type head (ball pein the right name?)

I'd suspect its not someone who could climb much (as none of the marks are that high up - ie reachable from the ground) suggesting a non climber...but clearly targeted at spoiling climbs, as they are directed at holds (that look like they were mostly chalked).

Crazy stuff. Why would someone do that? Those fresh scars need stabilising before getting any worse or getting covered with fresh chalk.. Arsehole(s) did this..

tomtom

• forum hero
Well done for taking the pics btw. Good effort.

Offwidth

• forum hero
    • Offwidth
Thanks for those photo's Wil. Can we have permission to show them at the next Peak area meeting? Of course someone was bashing Joes Slab at Froggatt not so long back as well.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
I took some photos earlier, posted on my blog here.

Razor Roof looked like it would climb at the same grade. The damage has left a real mess at both venues and the newly exposed rock is incredibly crumbly.

I don't know how you'd go about repairing the aretes that have been damaged, but if there's a good way to stabilise the surface of the rock that would go some way to mitigating the damage.
Your blog mentions the prob left of Kaluza Klien. Do you mean the slab (Dry Wit) or the arete of the next block (Grizzly Arete)?

Wil

• obsessive maniac
    • Wil Treasure
Thanks for those photo's Wil. Can we have permission to show them at the next Peak area meeting? Of course someone was bashing Joes Slab at Froggatt not so long back as well.

Yes no problem. I'll probably be there as well.

Wil

• obsessive maniac
    • Wil Treasure
Your blog mentions the prob left of Kaluza Klien. Do you mean the slab (Dry Wit) or the arete of the next block (Grizzly Arete)?

Looking my my guide it would be The Growler, or next to the Growler. The left end of that wall with a big hueco undercut which was damaged. It wouldn't affect the problem here I don't think as the chip was on the outside rather than in the undercut.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

Wood FT

• forum hero
fucking disgrace

Wood FT

• forum hero
from the pics does this make the problem 'RZA Roof' unclimable then? looks like a crimp smashed off

Wil

• obsessive maniac
    • Wil Treasure
from the pics does this make the problem 'RZA Roof' unclimable then?

Is that the one which traverses into the finish of Razor Roof? If so...I'd hesitate to say unclimbable, but it would be significantly harder at least.  :(

dave

from the pics does this make the problem 'RZA Roof' unclimable then? looks like a crimp smashed off

Thankfully my beta is unaffected. Small blessings etc. Not sure about the reverse one, could have lost a foothold.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
Wow, those pictures are really shocking. Clearly someone targeting climbers, but with very little knowledge of what they are about. I daresay we could work out their approx height if we wanted...

i.munro

• junky
Doesn't this  look like more "i've bought these shiny new axes & I'm going to try them" ?

tomtom

• forum hero
Doesn't this  look like more "i've bought these shiny new axes & I'm going to try them" ?

By smashing the shit out of a gently sloping arete? Its some twat with a hammer..

The Arete is the worst one for me.. never mind the climbing it just makes the rock look so ugly and hurt..  - scarred - defaced.

dave

In a word, no.

i.munro

• junky
I bow to your expertise

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux

masonwoods101

• forum abuser
guessing the land owner has been informed... dont want them thinking its climbers wrecking the place.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
guessing the land owner has been informed... dont want them thinking its climbers wrecking the place.

good point

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
It is in progress...

masonwoods101

• forum abuser
longshot but would putting up a sign saying 'dont smash up the rock' at the entrance to sites like this be of any use... cos that could help protect against random people with no idea doing damage.... bit of education as people enter on how to treat the area respectully. i know this wouldnt stop mallicious damage...

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
I can't see such a sign dissuading someone with a grudge against climbers as appears plausible in this case. Infact it might give such people ideas...

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
 :agree: Surely part of the reason crags like RHS get chipped is because the existing damage highlights the chippability. A sign mentioning the possibility can only add to this suggestion.

It makes me think of when councils replace smashed bus shelters/ school windows etc. with an opaque alternative. It's often just as easily shatterable but it gets smashed less often because its appearance doesn't so easily call to mind that option.

masonwoods101

• forum abuser
i did say that it wouldnt work on mallicious people and maybe it would give people ideas... i was thinking of educating people who just turn up for a walk and see a rock on the floor and think 'throwing this is a good idea'. thats obviously not what has happened in this scenario though... the other option is do nothing...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal