UKBouldering.com

Pinky position when not used (e.g. Middle 2, 3 finger open-handing) (Read 1700 times)

cha1n

• forum hero
What does your pinky do when it's not used during 3 finger open and middle two open hangs?

I only ask because I have to have the pinky in a very specific position or I get quite a lot of pain in the forearm/base of hand. Most of the people I see just flex the pinky all the way or leave it straight, but some (like me) curl the pinky and hyper-extend it back like so; http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-nbaSbJTgt6o/TadxF4oQ8fI/AAAAAAAAAFk/D_Ejx1-MxMA/s1600/campus+005.jpg (I didn't embed the image because it's massive and that's not a photo of me btw).

Now I don't have any choice in the matter, I have to do it or I get pain, am I the only one?!

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
I completely flex it, but sometimes it gets into that position that you speak about. I think it's due to the wrist not being neutral, but flexed.

JJP

• addict
Hey cha1n

You re not alone! I also have my pinky in that position when using mid 3 and mid 2.  This is only on my right hand - seem to be able to use a flexed pinky no problem on the left.

When I started to train those positions more intensely I had the pinky finger fully flexed - which feels much stronger but developed a pain in the forearm (at junction of middle and distal third where the muscle belly becomes a tendon).

I think it is probably due to a shearing injury as the ring finger muscle/tendon is being stretched and the pinky muscle tendon is shortening and there is injury at a point where they have a common muscle belly. 

I dont really have a problem with it now I use the weird pinky position and have strengthened that on the FB. 

I have spoken to a couple of folk about it who seemed to agree with the shearing thought.  One person did suggest that the stronger flexed pinky position should be re-trainable eg. maybe trying this out when on non-steep ground with feet on and build up but I havent bothered yet.

I think this is a similar problem to prev threads about the tweekiness of training back 2.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal