UKBouldering.com

Crimp Oil (Read 24356 times)

Baldy

• obsessive maniac
  • Low Bawler
    • CBclimbing
#75 Re: Crimp Oil
February 12, 2013, 01:00:34 pm
FWIW I got a bottle a while back and found my finger niggles went away when I massaged them regularly.

[...]

So maybe Crimp oil is actually a good alternative.

I havent been using it for a few weeks now - (because we all know how easy it is to forgo prevention when there is nothing bad happening) and I just got an A2 tweak.
I have the bottle of crimp oil at work so I will use it every day at lunchtime and see what happens.
I will not use Ibuprofen orally or as a gel (after a quick search, apparently ingesting too much can hurt your liver...who knew? :shrug: )

I will report back.
and then we can form a judgement based on my extensive data sampling.  :smartass:

I have continued to conduct my testing, using some at least once a day and forgoing other treatment like ice and stretching. I have used it once or twice a day - Once at lunch time, and once before bed (after climbing).

I have seen improvement in the finger from pain on squeezing a spray bottle, to being able to crimp to a certain degree on problems (I used a quarter pad crimp last night - tried to open crimp it). However, I dont feel that Crimp Oil alone is enough to completely heal the finger so I am going to finish my rehab by including ice, stretching and massage. (I should say that while I have been 'Crimp oiling' I have still been climbing a fair bit and that may be setting back the process a little)

In my opinion, the crimp oil is better than ibuprofen gels for massage because it does not get sticky and make me not want to touch anything for a while. Instead it works its way into the skin by about the time I am done massaging. I view this as a good selling point because the faff with gels stops me from using them during regular rehab. (I do not know the relative costs of massaging oils - so as far as value for money goes on this point... :shrug:)

So - although I know my sample dates are not that long - I hypothesise that while Crimp Oil alone is not enough to 'heal' an injury, if used in conjunction with the 'normal' response (ice, stretching and oral ibuprofen) I hope to see a faster recovery time than normal. (I will not be able to confirm its efficicacy vs NSAID massage since I have not normally massaged after previous injuries).

I will report back just before CWIF.

Paul B

• forum hero
#76 Re: Crimp Oil
February 12, 2013, 02:14:49 pm
I view this as a good selling point because the faff with gels stops me from using them during regular rehab. (I do not know the relative costs of massaging oils - so as far as value for money goes on this point... :shrug:)

Do you want to buy a training program by any chance?

tomtom

• forum hero
#77 Crimp Oil
February 12, 2013, 02:32:35 pm
I can sell you a Raymondioum impregnated shell - that when simply placed in your chalk bag/bucket will reduce all finger injuries by 31.29%...

Baldy

• obsessive maniac
  • Low Bawler
    • CBclimbing
#78 Re: Crimp Oil
February 12, 2013, 02:56:06 pm
I can sell you a Raymondioum impregnated shell - that when simply placed in your chalk bag/bucket will reduce all finger injuries by 31.29%...

That sounds good!

If I buy three will that make me nearly impervious to injury?

tomtom

• forum hero
#79 Crimp Oil
February 12, 2013, 03:06:20 pm
There's a law of diminishing returns with Raymondiums effects. The reduction halves for each additional one, so you'd be looking at c.52% reduction with three. Unless you use the wrist band as well.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#80 Re: Crimp Oil
February 12, 2013, 03:06:43 pm
Come on, tell the truth, you are really trying to fob off a unicorn horn as raymondioum impregnated shell aren't you!

tomtom

• forum hero
#81 Re: Crimp Oil
February 12, 2013, 03:16:45 pm
Come on, tell the truth, you are really trying to fob off a unicorn horn as raymondioum impregnated shell aren't you!

FFS, its such bullshit that gives this industry a bad name... I/we have never ever ever ever made any use if any Unicorn body parts - AND its a complete lie that Horse parts from Romania made it into the processing chain.

Watch out or you'll be hearing from my Lawyers! LSL (Lagerstarfish-Sharpe-Legal inc.)

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#82 Re: Crimp Oil
February 12, 2013, 03:47:57 pm

Jim's got one of those, though it came with a brightly coloured horse's tail attached, and he doesn't 'place it in his chalkbag'. He places it in his ar...

Baldy

• obsessive maniac
  • Low Bawler
    • CBclimbing
#83 Re: Crimp Oil
February 12, 2013, 04:34:58 pm
There's a law of diminishing returns with Raymondiums effects. The reduction halves for each additional one, so you'd be looking at c.52% reduction with three. Unless you use the wrist band as well.

Damn, my dreams of putting my hand into a shredder will have to wait until I sell my car or something.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal