UKBouldering.com

Physio help - chicken wing impossible! (Read 1687 times)

ali k

• junky
Physio help - chicken wing impossible!
January 18, 2013, 02:20:05 pm
Strange title but basically 2 weeks ago I dislocated my shoulder in a gaston move when my foot popped. Had it put back in and now starting the road to recovery.

I took it out of the sling after a week or so and have been doing very gentle mobility exercises. Mobility in most directions has improved very quickly and remarkably almost feels back to normal. However, the one movement which isn't progressing is lifting my arm as if I'm flapping like a chicken wing. I get to about 40-45degrees lift and then can't go further.

Is it normal for all but one movement to recover quickly and then presumably the damaged tendon to take a little longer? I'm just after some reassurance or advice really. Considering it's still supposed to be in a sling maybe I'm being a bit optimistic?

Dolly

• forum hero
#1 Re: Physio help - chicken wing impossible!
January 18, 2013, 02:32:16 pm
Tendons can take a long time in my experience and tend (no pun intended) to be small improvements rather than dramatic leaps.
I've got  a shoulder impingement injury at the moment. Some ranges of motion improve quickly, but I think the movement you're describing is directly due to the tendon that goes into the scapula (obviously I'm guessing here)
Might take a bit longer than you (or I) hope but just persevere with the physio - it will make a difference :)

MJC

• regular
#2 Re: Physio help - chicken wing impossible!
January 22, 2013, 01:51:15 pm
Well that's an injury i could never have imagined happening. Scary.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal