UKBouldering.com

Whats up with my toe? (Read 2479 times)

JacobJacob

• player
Whats up with my toe?
December 24, 2012, 02:16:43 pm
Over the last 6 months I seem to have developed an injury in my right big toe. It's almost certainly from wearing tight rock shoes and standing on small footholds (read Malham footholds). It's not unbearable but it seems to be getting worse and I'm a bit worried about it.

It hurts at the base where the toe connects to the foot and feels like some kind of tendon/ligament/bone related problem. It hurts most when I arch my toe downwards towards the floor (the kind of movement that happens when you get cramp in your foot) particularly when I use my hand to pull my toe further in that direction.

My first thought was to try different shoes, I bought some stiffer ones (anasazi whites), but if anything they seem to have made it worse...

Has anyone else experienced this? Or have any advice on what it might be / how I can deal with it?

Thanks!

andy popp

• forum hero
#1 Re: Whats up with my toe?
December 24, 2012, 03:20:36 pm
Believe it or not it could be gout. There are a few proud sufferers on here.

dunnyg

• forum hero
#2 Re: Whats up with my toe?
December 24, 2012, 03:21:52 pm
Not sure whats up with it, but my freind recomended this as a cure for everything

JacobJacob

• player
#3 Re: Whats up with my toe?
December 25, 2012, 02:35:18 pm
Believe it or not it could be gout...

Cheers. From internet research it sounds like gout causes acute bouts of pain that last a week or so? Whereas this has been more of an on going thing for a little while. Please correct me if I'm wrong...

Guess I'll go get tested for it anyway.

Snoops

• obsessive maniac
#4 Re: Whats up with my toe?
December 25, 2012, 07:25:53 pm
Hallux rigidus.

As its likely sport related it may well be to the hallucis longus tendon which runs under your foot and bends your big toe. You likely have some tendonitis in it. Eccentric stretching of your big toe is your friend. Maybe get some stiffer shoes for a bit as well.

JacobJacob

• player
#5 Re: Whats up with my toe?
December 25, 2012, 11:34:07 pm
Hallux rigidus.

Great, you're probably right, cheers Snoops!

Eccentric stretching = curling my big toe up towards my knee? Any knowledge on what specifically I do/how long I do it for?

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#6 Re: Whats up with my toe?
December 26, 2012, 09:26:41 am
Maybe get some stiffer shoes for a bit as well.

I'd say slightly stiffer shoes, and for a lot longer than a bit, or it is likely to just reoccur. If you have a second toe longer than your big one, go for a less asymmetric boot shape. Many modern boots really only work well for a longest big toe, IMHO, and if you force it for ages, you end up with pain like this.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal