UKBouldering.com

Building a home training wall in my loft - - -h-elp! (Read 4386 times)

Ti_pin_man

• obsessive maniac
  • sometimes you see things & curse, damnit no gun
After some effort I managed to remove the old huge water tank from my loft to clear out some storage space and the intension was to put down some boards (chipboard) to add storage space BUT...

...now I've cleared it there looks a whole lot more space than I'd thought and my mind has started asking what might be involved to build a climbing wall up there for training.

The space is 6 foot high in the middle of the roof and then drops about 45 degree slope. Its quite wide and a small 45 degree circuit board would fit in, I just need to figure out if the hassle of preparing the space is worth doing.

The loft is a pretty standard loft but does anybody know what I'd need to do to the ceiling currently in there and could i simply attach the wall to the roof joists?

I guess I cant and would need to put in a proper floor somehow in case I fell off!

Any ideas?

andyd

• forum hero
    • https://vimeo.com/user14959179
Check your joists too. The ones in the loft aren't necessarily the same as the ones you walk around on upstairs

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
You'll need to panel the floor for a start. Insulate underneath while you are doing it. Make sure the panelling is well done so it takes your weight. Then remove the ceiling panels, get some ply drill it full of holes, knock in a load of t nuts attach ply to joist and stick on a load of holds. If its not too much hassle you could put in a small vertical kick board at the bottom. 6 ft isn't massive but should be ok if you have enough width

erm, sam

• forum hero
I'll take some pics next time i am in my attic as I have a board exactly matching what you are talking about. It is brilliant and I would reccomend anybody to do the same.

I (well my dad and father in law did it, result) paneled the floor with chip board and used 4x4s or some thing screwed between the pearlings and the panel at the apex of the roof. I had matching 4x4s on the other side to balance to the board was not connected directly to the roof joists but to an A frame attached to the pearlings, basically.

Ti_pin_man

• obsessive maniac
 :icon_welcome:

Guys, sounds sort of like my master plan.  Would love to see those pics! 

Pebblespanker

• stalker
  • Old, grey and weak as a kitten
Also think about the effect the impact of you landing on the floor may have on the ceiling below, in such a tight vertical space there wont be loads of room for padding the floor under your board

Ti_pin_man

• obsessive maniac
bingo, my biggest concern is falling through the ceiling or cracking it with a heavy thud.  My other half wouldnt appreciate that, lol.    :ohmy:

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
From 6 ft you aren't going to make mighty whack. Your feet are barely off floor level. Just use proper loft panels for floor and a bouldering mat.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal