UKBouldering.com

Distal radius fracture advice (Read 1921 times)

WillKel

Distal radius fracture advice
November 23, 2012, 07:33:20 pm
Hi All,

I managed to fracture my wrist last weekend. I was told today that i need a plate in it but its borderline between that and putting it in a cast for 6 weeks. Has anyone had any experience of either method of treatment? Im keen to know what the best way forward is from a climbing point of view.

cheers

Will

Paul B

• forum hero
#1 Re: Distal radius fracture advice
November 23, 2012, 10:25:11 pm
I broke this and was in cast for 6 weeks many years ago, its mainly fine but flexing my wrist to the inside isn't what it used to be and guppying can sometimes hurt a bit.

Left-over metal never seems to go too well with climbing!

mic_b

• regular
#2 Re: Distal radius fracture advice
November 23, 2012, 10:27:39 pm
Sorry to hear about the wrist dude! I did the same break to mine last year. Mine was just put in a cast and it took 5 weeks to heal. Probably 2 months before I was pulling hard again. Unfortunately the force of the break removed the tendon from the bone on the ulnar side and the only way to fix it is with an operation so something to look out for. I'm starting to get most of the mobility back now 18 months later but strangely I don't seem to need much wrist flexibility for climbing.

Anyway good luck with the recovery!

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#3 Re: Distal radius fracture advice
November 23, 2012, 11:02:23 pm
I was told today that i need a plate in it but its borderline between that and putting it in a cast for 6 weeks. Has anyone had any experience of either method of treatment? Im keen to know what the best way forward is from a climbing point of view.

commiserations, fractured bones are shit. The best course of management for your wrist will depend on exactly where the radius is #'ed, if the # is displaced at all, and the shape of the # line. I'd listen to the orthopedic docs' advice. I broke the other end of my radius a few years ago, and was told i would be likely to not be able to straighten my elbow again. I got full movement out of it fairly quickly, though it was a bit crunchy for a few months.

WillKel

#4 Re: Distal radius fracture advice
November 25, 2012, 03:02:08 pm
Cheers for the replies, i guess i have to go with the op and hope the plate doesn't cause tendon/ carpel tunnel trouble further down the line. Its good to hear stories of people getting pretty much back to full power after a few months, hope this happens for me!

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#5 Re: Distal radius fracture advice
November 26, 2012, 08:54:38 am
and hope the plate doesn't cause tendon/ carpel tunnel trouble further down the line. Its good to hear stories of people getting pretty much back to full power after a few months, hope this happens for me!

Best of luck. Do your post op exercises, however boring they are, and don't try and jump straight back into trying to one-arm off it or something!  ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal