UKBouldering.com

Ceuse at the start of May? (Read 3023 times)

AJM

• obsessive maniac
Ceuse at the start of May?
November 18, 2012, 08:47:47 pm
So I've done Ceuse before end of August, but has anyone tried it roundabout Mayday?

I've got major psyche for a Ceuse trip next year, which I had been hoping to do June sort of time, but I've also been invited to a wedding in Grenoble on Mayday weekend. It seems to make so much sense to combine the two, but will it work...?

Views welcomed!

Cheers,

Andy

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#1 Re: Ceuse at the start of May?
November 18, 2012, 09:01:37 pm
Worked for me, but years ago, can't remember details. It's high, so cooler than lower Provence, but May's a balmy month in those parts. I'd go.

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#2 Re: Ceuse at the start of May?
November 18, 2012, 09:26:48 pm
I'd give it a try.  I've been in mid-May and conditions were very good, some days were a bit showery but temps. were fine. 

Paul B

• forum hero
#3 Re: Ceuse at the start of May?
November 19, 2012, 12:42:14 am
May was the beta I was given recently by a fairly local frenchie. The camping is open and the crowds haven't arrived, go for it.

AJM

• obsessive maniac
#4 Re: Ceuse at the start of May?
November 19, 2012, 07:16:32 am
Cheers guys! Sounds like it might be a good option then  :goodidea:

AJM

• obsessive maniac
#5 Re: Ceuse at the start of May?
November 19, 2012, 08:24:11 am
One other quick thought - is May still a "hiding from the sun" time there, or is it high enough (and I guess it catches the breeze a bit) that you're following the sun rather than fleeing it?

The only places I've been round the start of May was Tarn/Boffi (and just before that Thaurac, Hortus and Cantobre) where the sun was pretty hot, but I guess you've got like 1000m of altitude above that to play with.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#6 Re: Ceuse at the start of May?
November 19, 2012, 10:29:23 am
Can go either way depending on the day. I would say go for it and if you get cold / wet / windy days go for a lower altitude / more sheltered alternative.

Paul B

• forum hero
#7 Re: Ceuse at the start of May?
November 19, 2012, 11:03:01 am
One other quick thought - is May still a "hiding from the sun" time there, or is it high enough (and I guess it catches the breeze a bit) that you're following the sun rather than fleeing it?

I've been to Ceuse very late in the season when it's best to follow the sun. It was nice, but I would imagine a cloudy day would be very chilly!

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#8 Re: Ceuse at the start of May?
November 19, 2012, 11:17:04 am

Following the sun, but I'm the anti-i.munro. 

Buoux is not so far away if it is a cold / wet year.

ghisino

• forum abuser
#9 Re: Ceuse at the start of May?
January 14, 2013, 12:08:46 pm

it obviously depends on the day and on the sectors.

in berlin and demi lune given the style you'll probably be happy in the shade anyway but you might climb in long sleeves and leave well before it's dark...

cascade due to the more juggy nature and the breeze might be climbable all day long and a real pleasure in late afternoon when the temps go down a bit.
Actually the only trip when i've really enjoyed the sector was early may, the weather was half sunny with occasional light showers and conditions were just perfect to climb all day long in a t shirt.

hongkongstuey

• forum hero
    • http://www.hongkongclimbing.com
#10 Re: Ceuse at the start of May?
January 17, 2013, 05:02:00 am
Buoux is not so far away if it is a cold / wet year.

Also currently looking into a euro bolt clipping trip around that time (mid May) and was keen to head to Buoux to get well and truely spanked on some old school classics.

What's the best place to base yourself for this? Also, if it turns out hot how long does it take to get further north to some of the other areas? (I'l be coming from the start of a HK summer so am banking on europe feeling nice and cool and dry even if the temps are a little warm for most...)

okay - think this thread answers most of my questions.. http://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php/topic,16162.msg281951.html#msg281951
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 05:12:33 am by hongkongstuey »

ianv

• forum abuser
#11 Re: Ceuse at the start of May?
January 17, 2013, 08:23:34 am
This year the weather was pretty weird in may. I wasn't climbing but, early may ceuse seemed to be lost in low cloud. Then, the weather settled into a rhythm of ok till about 2 then really humid then torrential downpours in the mid afternoon. It was the same in Manosque so the low level options would have been equally shit.

Might have been an exceptional year though.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal