UKBouldering.com

e-reader or tablet or are they now one and the same? (Read 11806 times)

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
looking to get the misses an ereader/kindle thing for xmas.
Are they still good at what they do or does a tablet do the same/more or are they too heavy/big/compromised battery life etc...?
We already have a 7" cheap tablet that she doesn't use much as me and the kids are always on it.
Does any one use a tablet primarily as an ereader?

Monk

• regular
Battery life is the big thing - a kindle lasts about a month between charges, but a tablet lasts about a day. The e-ink screens are much softer on the eye, but I don't personally have a problem with reading books on a tablet screen. I know others do prefer e-ink, so this is probably a preference thing. If the intention is simply to read books on it, then I suspect an e-reader would be the better buy. For anything else... a tablet. 

IanP

• forum abuser
Completed converted to the joys of 7 inch tablets in our house.  Wife has a playbook I picked up cheap and it's great for emails / surfing net / reading newspapers etc - the main problem is arguments over who gets to use it!  To this end daughter is getting a Nexus 7 for her birthday this weekend.

However if the main purpose is for reading books dedicated e-readers do have definite advantages in particular e-ink displays are easier on the eyes and read just like paper in full sun but also significantly lighter, longer battery life and cheaper.  Given missus doesn't use the existing tablet much I'd be tempted to go down the Kindle route - unless of course you're really just looking for an exuse to upgrade your existing tablet  :whistle:.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 10:53:37 am by IanP »

tomtom

• forum hero
I have a kindle and an iPad. I read books on the Kindle and do all the other shizzle on the ipad.

For reading books the Kindle is superb. Much less strain in the eyes - flick a switch your page is there... I think I've charged mine 5 times in nearly two years - battery life is excellent. Its much lighter (weighs about as much as a phone) and easier to use than the tablet...

If Mrs Jim reads alot, and thats its main purpose then go for a Kindle/reader.

cofe

• forum hero
If it's just for reading books, get a dedicated e-reader. And look at other options to evil Amazon, such as the new Nook Simple Touch. If you do want Amazon, the new Paperwhite is really nice. For 7" tablets, don't get a Kindle Fire, it's awful. Terrible UI, yellow cast on screen, limited functionality, heavy.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
cool, so an ereader it is then.
Which one, kindle paperwhite or other?
anyone one got the paper white or this nook simple touch. Any other recommendation?

Dolly

• forum hero
Paperwhite is very nice.
Be aware though that the way the screen is illuminated is not even - ie at the bottom there are some areas which are brighter than others. I haven't read on it for a long time so I don't know if that would be a problem. The lit screen also means that the contrast is less than you'd expect.
Only £50 more gets you a Nexus 7 though with all the other advantages.

I would think that the real test therefore would be a kindle vs  Nexus 7 which is £90 difference.

Paul B

• forum hero
Nat has asked for a kindle for Christmas (dreaded word) and seeing as though her folks are in the US currently they'll be buying it (£s for $). They were advised that the old style is still favourable for reading.

I think the limited battery life of a tablet would be the main downside and an overriding issue for me for something to mainly use for reading. I do wish I'd waited on my Android tablet for the Nexus 7, mine is almost really good but it isn't, and the flaws are so frustrating I've come close to snapping it over my knee a few times.

IanP

• forum abuser
Nat has asked for a kindle for Christmas (dreaded word) and seeing as though her folks are in the US currently they'll be buying it (£s for $). They were advised that the old style is still favourable for reading.

Given that the 'new' old style is £69 against £109 for the paperwhite I'd need to be convinced that the paperwhite had significant advantages to be worth considering.  I'm very happy my old style bought for me last Christmas.

tomtom

• forum hero
Paperwhite is basically just lit.. But cleverly,so bugger all battery is used. If you don't mind the mrs reading in bed with the light on id get the cheaper one.... And spend the extra ££ on beer or amazon vouchers for books :)

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
I want one and if I do end buying I'll be going for an old style Kindle, there are countless little lights you can get to add on to a Kindle for a few quid if you want to read in the dark and I haven't heard enough good things about the lit screens to make me think it's worth splashing the extra cash on the newer version.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Paperwhite is basically just lit..
Isn't it white rather than grey as well though?  My only beef with the Kindle is the grey hue.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 09:40:05 pm by Bubba »

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
Anyone like to comment on smaller tablets like Nexus 7 for both reading and general use? Thanks.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Another vote for Kindle for reading and tablet for everything else.

Plus you can take a kindle to the beach, camping, stuff in a rucksack, spill food on it without worrying too much.

IanP

• forum abuser
Anyone like to comment on smaller tablets like Nexus 7 for both reading and general use? Thanks.

Use a blackberry playbook - very impressed by the usability of a 7 inch tablet, always on and instant start up means it's great for generally surfing, reading newspapers etc.  Very portable too, ability to tether to a mobile means don't need 3g.  Really like it for reading stuff on the net feels much more relaxed than a laptop, also good for showing photos etc.  Haven't used it for much video watching but good when I have, could be good for watching vids on the move.  Also haven't used as an full e-reader, sure it would be fine for general indoor reading, as above if you read a lot or want read outside in the sun an e-reader would do the job better.  Bought the blackberry because it was ridiculously cheap, would recomment the nexus 7 after the current price drops - I've only set up / had a quick mess with the one for my daughter but was very impressed, and better apps etc are probably worth having for most people.   

chris j

• forum abuser

I use a Galaxy Tab 7.7. Great for internet browsing, games etc, don't like it for reading books, I much prefer my e-reader (or even paper!) for that. Video watching is good (this is the main reason I got it - watching films on flights, trains and places I can't be bothered to get out the laptop), except for full HD which it struggles with.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
Thanks for the replies. I wondered if it might seem a bit small but it appears not - and the convenience of that size of tablet is obvious. My luddite opposition to these gadgets is beginning to crack.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Are there any 7" e-readers available or forthcoming??

I have this curious idea that I'd quite like my book replacement to have the same page size as a, errrr, book.

underground

• forum hero
 :alien:
Another vote for Kindle for reading and tablet for everything else.

Plus you can take a kindle to the beach, camping, stuff in a rucksack, spill food on it without worrying too much.
Totally agree with FD - a Kindle is 'made' for reading books on. Love it.
I'd only use the iPad in a darkened / non bright room as any peripheral light is reflected, and its a bi heavy to hold comfortably 'as you would a book'...

chris j

• forum abuser
Thanks for the replies. I wondered if it might seem a bit small but it appears not - and the convenience of that size of tablet is obvious. My luddite opposition to these gadgets is beginning to crack.

That is a really good thing I hadn't thought about before I bought them but the 7" tablet and the e-reader are basically the same size and slip into the same side pocket in cargo pants so when I walk onto a plane I don't have to frig around digging things out of hand luggage before stowing it. Little things that make life simpler...

cofe

• forum hero
We got an iPad mini in at work last week and the screen is noticeably larger for a device that's pretty much the same size as others. It's also lighter than e.g. Kindle Fire.

Paul B

• forum hero
Visited my folks over the weekend and it turns out they have a Kindle Paperwhite (after carelessly misplacing an original). I have to say I was pretty drawn to the apple-like simplicity of opening up the case ($$$) and the backlit screen coming on at the correct page.

Having said that I'm currently trialling reading a book on my cheapo, pretends to be a samsung tablet using Aldiko and I found the tablet (with its ability to switch to night mode) a lot easier on the eye (it also has an auto brightness function which works very well).

Whilst it was good, the paperwhite seemed pretty pricey (£109), especially with an Amazon case such as this (£30?).

I'd pretty much forgotten about the cheapo 7" tablet I have until recently, favouring a dying netbook instead. However, it really does come into its own for reading blogs, articles, pdfs etc. and 'consuming' information from the internet. Where I think it falls down is when there's a decent amount of typing to do (or the use of code). For instance I didn't reply to this post via the tablet when I first saw it a few days ago as it seemed like too much work!

I still wish it was a Google Nexus, simply for an additional processor so it could do what I ask it to do whilst whirring away in the background sync'ing at annoying times.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
Have to say I'm knocked out by how good the Nexus is, I use it so much and barely touch my laptop any more.

That said, I'm really struggling with the concept of reading an e-book...I just like the ownershhip / tactile nature of a proper book! Might just need to trial it to see what it's like.

Paul B

• forum hero
For me, it's the convenience of having an 'all-in-one', that is usually with me when I have 15mins to kill rather than being at home on a coffee table!

miso soup

• obsessive maniac
I actually like the idea of an e-reader being smaller than a book, if it's the same size then I might as well just carry an actual book around.  I'm considering the Kobo Mini or Txtr Beagle.  I quite like the second generation (I think) Kindles, after they took the keyboard off but before they introduced the touch screen, something like that but smaller so it actually fits in my pocket would be ideal.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal