UKBouldering.com

Albaraccin beta (Read 2254 times)

Richie Crouch

• forum hero
  • G Time
Albaraccin beta
November 04, 2012, 09:54:30 pm
Really keen on trying a new venue next year. Would March be getting a bit warm for Albaraccin? Is feb much better?

Thinking of flying and hiring, then camping or staying in a hut/cabin. Is it best to fly to Madrid or Valencia?

Any must do problem recommendations from 7c-8a/+ welcome!

Paul B

• forum hero
#1 Re: Albaraccin beta
November 04, 2012, 10:03:40 pm
I'll post some problem recommendations when I dig out the guidebook. I'd say your biggest concern should be the seasonal bans and outright bans of some of the sectors (sol) . If they're in force the scope of the place is hugely cut down.

Be prepared for the grades to be all over the place (Loskott traverse anyone?) and a bit meaningless in the context of other venues.

Cabins can work out quite expensive unless full and when full they're a bit of a squeeze. Some hotels in the town actually work out much better value (I've been told).

La Taverna does excellent taps and the house wine is about 9E a litre. The climbers bar is on the junction that heads up the road and isn't bad either.

The three times or so I've been Valencia always worked out cheaper (car hire etc.).

iwasmexican

• obsessive maniac
#2 Re: Albaraccin beta
November 05, 2012, 12:18:59 am
Nah I'd still say for anything up to a month there's plenty to go at, even with the bans on some of the places. In any case go out to the buena vista at the end, it's worth the walk.

I think that someone we met said he was renting a place for a month for about half as much as we were paying for two weeks in the cabins though, so i reckon there's better deals to be had when the place is so out of the tourist season.

Can't comment on what's cheaper though but flying to Albarracin was easier for us and turned out alright.

NSFW  :
(I thought it was better than font.)

Paul B

• forum hero
#3 Re: Albaraccin beta
November 05, 2012, 01:00:17 pm
Nah I'd still say for anything up to a month there's plenty to go at, even with the bans on some of the places. In any case go out to the buena vista at the end, it's worth the walk.

Absolutely, but I felt a bit gutted when I walked around Peninsula for instance and couldn't climb there the first time I visited (although it was pretty evident not everyone was paying attention to this). I also think the loss of access to problems on the Sol boulder remove a few really good problems.

dave

#4 Re: Re: Albaraccin beta
November 05, 2012, 01:10:29 pm
Really keen on trying a new venue next year. Would March be getting a bit warm for Albaraccin? Is feb much better?

We once went at easter and it snowed!

Stubbs

#5 Re: Albaraccin beta
November 05, 2012, 01:56:37 pm

Sorry to go slightly off topic, but I'm interested in which particular ways you thought it was better than Font?

iwasmexican

• obsessive maniac
#6 Re: Albaraccin beta
November 05, 2012, 04:59:06 pm

Sorry to go slightly off topic, but I'm interested in which particular ways you thought it was better than Font?

so i ve only been to each place once for about a week, so maybe i dont have the best experience of either, but albarracin just felt nicer and more unspoilt, font feels a bit well travelled in places. plus the town is lovely and its great being two minutes away from the climbing. found that so much more convenient than font.

i found in font having so much choice meant i didnt really try anything that felt properly hard, and i mean i know its nice doing lots of easier stuff but its not quite the same... in albarracin though there is enough stuff to go at (and at all levels) but i think theres not so much that you cant decide on whats you really want to try (which is all based on my experience really).

finally and most importantly the style is so much more basic (but not quite magic wood-type basic) meaning you can actually get up stuff.

Richie Crouch

• forum hero
  • G Time
#7 Re: Albaraccin beta
November 05, 2012, 05:09:03 pm
Thanks for all of the replies. Quite keen now! Steep and basic is good. Keen to try cosmos, zarzamora, el varano, pinturas bouldestres and Zatoichi. Looks like somewhere a bit of training will translate quite well to.  :strongbench:

iwasmexican

• obsessive maniac
#8 Re: Albaraccin beta
November 05, 2012, 06:48:57 pm
Thanks for all of the replies. Quite keen now! Steep and basic is good. Keen to try cosmos, zarzamora, el varano, pinturas bouldestres and Zatoichi. Looks like somewhere a bit of training will translate quite well to.  :strongbench:

get on astronave in the big roof in techos as well, its outstanding

Paul B

• forum hero
#9 Re: Albaraccin beta
November 12, 2012, 05:36:46 pm

You mightn't be so keen for Cosmos once you note its proximity to the floor and the sharpness of the porthole! Tuck up those legs.

I'm pretty much speechless as to how anyone can refer to Albarracin as unspoilt, the :shit: situation is the worst I've ever experienced at a bouldering venue with people quite literally crapping underneath problems at the parking sector and in full view of the road.

I will get round to posting a list.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal