UKBouldering.com

Bowland Explorations (Read 2421 times)

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
Bowland Explorations
October 26, 2012, 09:02:06 am
I'm keen to get up to the Bull Stones in Bowland - gritstone bouldering in a remote location. Currently lots of stuff up to V3, but I've been told there is some potential for harder stuff. Thing is, it's an hour walk in, and it would be good to have some company. Not so many people seem to be willing. Anyone up for a big day out and some exploration? Tomorrow looks like a perfect sunny day. Or if not tomorrow, anyone up for it in the near future?

Nigel

• forum hero
#1 Re: Bowland Explorations
October 26, 2012, 09:33:48 am
I went there once for a look, never went back. That's not to say you wont find something, just that for me I couldn't justify going back again with climbing stuff as I had other fish to fry. I would have gone back if there was anything A.M.A.Z.I.N.G. so don't expect to find The Mandala Mk II! Nice spot though. Good luck...

r-man

• forum hero
#2 Re: Bowland Explorations
October 26, 2012, 09:43:44 am
Yeah, I'm not expecting anything mind-blowing, but if I can find a few 7's in a nice location I'll be pleased. From the photos I've seen, there are one or two good looking shapes.

Did you find any other potential bouldering in your Bowland roamings?

Nigel

• forum hero
#3 Re: Bowland Explorations
October 26, 2012, 10:43:04 am
I'm sure you'll be able to fettle a few 7's from it, sure there's enough rock.

Did you find any other potential bouldering in your Bowland roamings?

Other than one pretty cool and hard project line at Wolfhole - no! Most outcrops are of the 1ft high variety unfortunately.

r-man

• forum hero
#4 Re: Bowland Explorations
October 26, 2012, 11:02:45 am
Yeah, I saw that mentioned in Greg's Bowland pdf. I assume it will be harder than 7-something?

For anyone interested in remote 8's, there's also a good steep low start from underclings into Black Whirlwind ( at the end of this video ) which will be nails, and possibly suit woody beasts.

Nigel

• forum hero
#5 Re: Bowland Explorations
October 26, 2012, 12:02:18 pm
Yeah, I saw that mentioned in Greg's Bowland pdf. I assume it will be harder than 7-something?

Really hard to say as its been years, but it will be upper 7's at least, poss an 8. A long way for one problem (furthest grit crag from the road?).

Greg C

• forum hero
#6 Re: Bowland Explorations
October 26, 2012, 12:46:12 pm

Really hard to say as its been years, but it will be upper 7's at least, poss an 8. A long way for one problem (furthest grit crag from the road?).

Pretty sure Karl Lunt did that back in the mid-to-late. Think he gave VS 6b.  ;)

I've been to Bull Stones running a couple of times. Its ok but, as Nige says, a long way for whats there. Having said that, I'd go back purely because I really like the remote nature of that part of Bowland. I'm sure you could dig something out, seem to remember a bit of a roof.

Robin, have you been to Cold Stone? It's like a shit Goldsborough Carr...

r-man

• forum hero
#7 Re: Bowland Explorations
October 26, 2012, 01:17:05 pm
Not been to Coldstone, though it was on the list. Looks in the guide/photos like it's covered in low E trad lines, with not much scope for bouldering? Perhaps this is wrong?

I did notice a comment on ukc - "there are lots of boulders & craglets off to the other side of the wall". More 1ft high outcrops, or something worth doing?

Bull Stones...I'd go back purely because I really like the remote nature of that part of Bowland.

Saturday?  ;)

Greg C

• forum hero
#8 Re: Bowland Explorations
October 26, 2012, 01:37:42 pm
Saturday?  ;)

Would have done but got other plans.

Cold Stone has some slight overhangs under the trad routes, thus the Goldsborough reference.
http://www.ukclimbing.com/images/dbpage.html?id=203261
Looks to be the odd problem, but again probably not worth the effort. That said, it is much nearer the road than Great Bull Stones.

With regards to this: "there are lots of boulders & craglets off to the other side of the wall."
Whilst this is correct, non of it's much cop for decent bouldering, and that which is is very scattered and rarely above 6A.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal