UKBouldering.com

Unusual / Annoying skin problem (Read 2364 times)

richieb

• menacing presence
Unusual / Annoying skin problem
October 16, 2012, 09:54:34 pm
Bit of a long shot, I've had a good old search and read the old skin related threads.

I have a specific problem with the skin on my right index finger. The easiest way to describe it - the outer layer of skin never seems properly attached to the layers underneath. Like the top layer floats on top of the layer underneath, almost like a permanent blister.
The outer layer is so 'mobile' it doesn't take much for it to split or flapper, usually only 1 layer but when it heals up the new layer is never any better. Im pretty much always managing a wound of some kind on this finger tip.

I went to the GP years ago and was given a cream that didn't seem to help (could maybe have been a cortisone cream?)

Anyone got any ideas? (other than go back to the doctor)

I do all the usual sanding, various moisturisers, avoid superchalk etc. I do use anti hydral occasionally but tend to avoid using it on this finger. 

Is the udder cream people talk about actual stuff made for cows or the stuff marketed as a beauty product? Or are they both the same stuff?

Ta

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#1 Re: Unusual / Annoying skin problem
October 16, 2012, 10:41:57 pm
Is the udder cream people talk about actual stuff made for cows or the stuff marketed as a beauty product? Or are they both the same stuff?

udder, stump cream anti hydral - all pretty similar as far as i am aware.

could be an allergy - is there anything that you would only do with your RH index finger... I am struggling to avoid any horrible innuendo, but I'm sure someone will be along shortly to cure that. Seriously though, maybe worth getting a test?

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#2 Re: Unusual / Annoying skin problem
October 17, 2012, 12:12:27 am
Umm.  Not at all the same.  Two are designed to heal/moisturize the skin.  One is designed to dry out the skin. 

I had a friend who's skin reacted to the eurathane used in climbing holds.  Do you climb in a gym?  Doesn't totally make sense as its only the index though....

richieb

• menacing presence
#3 Re: Unusual / Annoying skin problem
October 17, 2012, 07:30:59 am
Mainly climb on my own board or outdoors. I've had this for years now but can't remember if anything triggered it. I really should get it looked at again by a dermatologist I guess.

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#4 Re: Unusual / Annoying skin problem
October 17, 2012, 09:48:37 am
Umm.  Not at all the same.  Two are designed to heal/moisturize the skin.  One is designed to dry out the skin. 

Fair play, I stand corrected.

The dermatologist would be a good call, if it is an irritating problem.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#5 Re: Unusual / Annoying skin problem
October 17, 2012, 09:59:49 am
Getting your fingers in baby poo is the cause of it :)

I've got about a 1/4 of a tube of anti-hydral that you can try if I can find it. Never found it to be that beneficial, but might work for you.

richieb

• menacing presence
#6 Re: Unusual / Annoying skin problem
October 17, 2012, 05:31:57 pm
Cheers Chris, I've already got some anti-hydral. I dont think it would be a good idea to use it on this particular finger anyway, its definately a skin 'condition' rather than just thin skin.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#7 Re: Unusual / Annoying skin problem
October 17, 2012, 08:18:37 pm
Sounds like one of those perpetuating skin problems I've ad in th past where no matter way you do it just Kees peeling off. I think it only sorted itself out after going cold turkey and not climbing for about a month. Not because of the finger.

tim palmer

• forum abuser
#8 Re: Unusual / Annoying skin problem
October 18, 2012, 01:18:02 pm
Mainly climb on my own board or outdoors. I've had this for years now but can't remember if anything triggered it. I really should get it looked at again by a dermatologist I guess.

I have had really bad chronic splits like this; have you just tried climbing with the offending finger tip taped up for a month or so or just taken a few weeks off? 
If you want to see a dermatologist you would have to go to back to your gp (unless you want to go privately),  I imagine your GP would be reluctant to refer you strainght away to a dermatologist (they are very busy) and would give you more moisturiser type stuff initially i would imagine, unlikely they would have given you cortisone type creams for a non-healing ulcer unless it was very inflamed. 

richieb

• menacing presence
#9 Re: Unusual / Annoying skin problem
October 18, 2012, 09:01:29 pm
Thanks for the advice everyone. Thing is, I don't necessarily see this as a recurring split that just won't heal. Each year for months during trad season I dont have any problems and it appears to heal up fully but as soon as I start bouldering again the weak/weird skin on this finger lets me down.

I think I will try and get it looked at again.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#10 Re: Unusual / Annoying skin problem
October 19, 2012, 07:33:46 am
Try nappy cream.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal