UKBouldering.com

Access to Nunckley quarry, leicestershire (Read 7031 times)

Topher

• regular
Access to Nunckley quarry, leicestershire
October 14, 2012, 08:33:01 pm
Went to try and find Nunkley quarry on saturday by following directions off http://www.leicesterclimbs.f9.co.uk  got to the railway bridge as described and there were signs up saying Private land etc and barbed wire all over the fence! Does anybody know if access is an issue, or is there another way in?

neilslim

• regular
I've been in there a few times months back, but met a tree surgeon working in there who said whilst they dont want every tom, dick and harry going in, he couldnt see a problem with climbers going in as long as a low profile is kept. He gave me a code for the combi padlock, but I don't really want to pass it on without prior permission. Just hop over the wall near gate, and walk round hillock on right, and the walls over at the back behind some ash trees.

Topher

• regular
Great, that was the answer I was hoping for. Cheers.

wsmith

• player
    • Hard Wood Holds
The reason its all fenced up is the railway is being redeveloped. I went a couple times earlier in the year. On the second session a police man turned up with his police dog and kicked me out. He told me he lives in the village and has been given permission by the guy in charge of the area to walk his dog along there occasionally. He seemed to think that kicking me out was doing the guy in charge a favour although he didnt have a problem with me being there himself. I've heard from 2 people who have met the guy in charge of the redevelopment, apparently he used to climb and doesnt have a problem with climbers being there but I guess the copper doesnt realise that the guy in charge doesnt mind climbers so hes kicking them out. Maybe this has been resolved by now but just saying to let you know of the situation.

You can jump over the edge of the bridge and walk down some steps onto the old railway, walk along that for a bit and then the quarry is on the right. Don't leave anything climbing related on show in your car when you park next to the bridge though. The copper told me that he only knew I was down there because he saw a rope in my car. Just keep a low profile as neilslim said and you'll be fine.

Topher

• regular
Thanks for the heads up, Will.

clintos

• regular
  • Top Banana
There is also a good hole in the hedge further down the road just after the gate, cut through and and back on yourself. its in great condition a the minute loads of new bits been done traversing the lip and topping out in various places,the left side has been cleared of brambles too.

Topher

• regular
Yeah I'd seen a couple of your videos which was one of the reasons i went in search. Now Ive just got to find a dry day and some free time to check it out.

StillTryingForTheTop

• addict
Please report back how you get on, not too far from me if it is any good :)

Do you have links to the videos you mention?

Gary

Topher

• regular
Still not been. It not that far from me either but if the wife grants me a day pass i shoot up to the peak.

Here's the link 

Topher

• regular
and there's also Mike Adams doing Shades of Grey page 158 of quality bouldering videos.

StillTryingForTheTop

• addict
Duck in and out of the video posts so had missed that, cheers

Looks really good, although waaaaaay too hard for me

and there's also Mike Adams doing Shades of Grey page 158 of quality bouldering videos.

Topher

• regular
Went a couple of days ago. Its OK but limited with only a handful of problems that i know of. A ground worker came over to see what i was up to and didn't seem to mind me being there.

Does anyone know of any more problems other than whats on UKC?

And there seems to be a few bees residing in the first pocket of Shades of grey!

clintos

• regular
  • Top Banana
There are lots variations on the lip trav,going left to right and right to left finishing a many points. I have got a topo,which I'd be happy to send you.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
There are lots variations on the lip trav,going left to right and right to left finishing a many points. I have got a topo,which I'd be happy to send you.

Get it uploaded to the UKB Wiki : Leicestershire page

Topher

• regular
Cheers Clintos.

Topher

• regular
Clintos did you get my PM & email?

Topher

• regular
Thanks Clintos for the topos  :clap2:

I have uploaded Cademan Wood and Nunckley Quarry onto Wiki

i_a_coops

• forum abuser
    • Ian Cooper
I think the situation has changed - I was there today, and a scary guy in a bandana threatened to beat my head in with a lump of granite if I ever tried to go back. He said he used to be ok with climbers but apparently some stuff got nicked (which I'd be willing to bet was nothing to do with climbers) and he's taken it pretty personally :blink:

That was a weird day....

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal