UKBouldering.com

Hamstring... (Read 2746 times)

tomtom

• forum hero
Hamstring...
October 10, 2012, 07:55:59 am
Feels like I've pulled a muscle where the hamstring joins the arse - and under the thigh as well. It happened pushing/pulling down hard on my toe whilst rocking over at the wall...

I can still walk (bit stiff) and movement is not restricted, so I'd guess I've just pulled the muscle a little.. any advice on rehab/training? Rest it? Use it gently? Carry on as normal? Take the week off work? ;)

Plattsy

• forum hero
#1 Re: Hamstring...
October 10, 2012, 08:30:20 am
Avoid what you were doing when you did it. Use a knee pad to strap a bag of frozen peas to it. I reckon with your skinny legs you could do that. A little massage after a hot shower. A little stretching.

As for training I've no idea. My hams are like RSJs. I'm trying yoga to lengthen them.

tomtom

• forum hero
#2 Re: Hamstring...
October 10, 2012, 09:22:08 am
Avoid what you were doing when you did it. Use a knee pad to strap a bag of frozen peas to it. I reckon with your skinny legs you could do that. A little massage after a hot shower. A little stretching.

As for training I've no idea. My hams are like RSJs. I'm trying yoga to lengthen them.

Yeah - steer clear of rockovers... ironically I was training on them as I'm so shit on them!

erm, sam

• forum hero
#3 Re: Hamstring...
October 10, 2012, 09:26:06 am
As a mobilityWOD fanboy I feel obliged to point the below post out. The lacrosse ball stretch/pressure thing at the end is probably not too good for direct rehab but I found it good for working on those RSJ hamstrings.

http://www.mobilitywod.com/2012/09/high-hamstring-gnar-trigger-points-and-up-streamdown-stream.html

tomtom

• forum hero
#4 Re: Hamstring...
October 10, 2012, 09:33:51 am
As a mobilityWOD fanboy I feel obliged to point the below post out. The lacrosse ball stretch/pressure thing at the end is probably not too good for direct rehab but I found it good for working on those RSJ hamstrings.

http://www.mobilitywod.com/2012/09/high-hamstring-gnar-trigger-points-and-up-streamdown-stream.html

My hamstrings are more like the nylon strings found on a £20 guitar... not RSJ's ;)

Baldy

• obsessive maniac
  • Low Bawler
    • CBclimbing
#5 Re: Hamstring...
October 10, 2012, 12:22:13 pm
I stuffed mine up pretty badly back in March (bruising came through from the torn muscle, had to hop on stairs, could barely climb since I couldnt pull on anything with my left leg etc.)
I thought it was going to be a horribly long term, non full recovery thing.

But it is pretty much completely better now  :)

I went to a physio as soon as I did it and she gave me a bunch of stretches for that area.

1. Lie on back and slowly pull leg towards you with bent knee, stop when it hurts and hold for a while
after a few reps of this
2. Do the same, but before you reach the point where you got some pain, let the leg fall out to the side (like a one legged frog look)
3. Place leg on a chair and stretch the hamstring out that way, change the direction you face to work the groin a bit more.
4. Place leg on chair with partially bent leg and stretch that as well (works a different part of the hammy)

5. I also did some massage with tiger balm most days which really seemed to help, try to avoid getting it too high up the leg though, unless you are into that sort of thing...  ;)

In terms of actually improving those muscle groups...I dont have a clue, I seem to ruin one of them every so often when I dont use my heels properly, I guess I should just try more and try harder to use them properly instead of just sitting back on them.

tomtom

• forum hero
#6 Re: Hamstring...
October 10, 2012, 01:31:09 pm
Thanks Baldy, some good advice there.

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#7 Re: Hamstring...
October 10, 2012, 04:48:08 pm
5. I also did some massage with tiger balm most days which really seemed to help, try to avoid getting it too high up the leg though, unless you are into that sort of thing...  ;)

Indeed. We have Russian Finalgon ointment which Frau M believes is stronger than the wimpy western stuff. During my sciatica scare of the last few days I have learned to be very careful about exactly where in the general thigh/piriformis region I apply it.

hamsforlegs

• regular
  • Wildcat. Pkow.
#8 Re: Hamstring...
October 10, 2012, 05:56:44 pm
Did the same thing a while back (but badly enough that it made a pistol crack noise as it went). In my case a sports doc thought I'd probably partially detached my hammy from my pelvis. If the pain is right up under your arse it could be the same thing.

It did heal fine on its own, but I was warned not to stretch until all pain and soreness had disappeared. If it is a partial detachment you don't want to keep ripping the tendon off again as it heals.

Mine still gives me a bit of soreness if I really crank on it, even after a couple of years, but that really just reminds me to warm up properly and stretch before giving it beans on a heel-hook or rockover...

Good luck getting your rockover skills back on track.

Mark

tomtom

• forum hero
#9 Re: Hamstring...
October 10, 2012, 06:44:34 pm
Thanks everyone - its free-d up quite a bit over teh day.. instead of the dull ache that stopped me sleeping well all last night, its now just a little stiff... walking up and down stairs fine so hopefully its just a little pull that will calm itself down...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal