UKBouldering.com

Brake Pads, whats the deal? (Read 1961 times)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Brake Pads, whats the deal?
September 17, 2012, 05:10:56 pm
Need some new brake-pads, thinking I want to go with ceramic (quiet and less crap comes off of them) but not sure about the Kevlar/Semi-metallic/Sintered options.

Pretty much exclusively use the bike for commuting up and down Sheffields hills.

Read this as to the pros/cons of each but thought I'd use the UKB hive mind.  So is it worth bothering with the other options or should I stick with ceramic?

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#1 Re: Brake Pads, whats the deal?
September 17, 2012, 06:16:13 pm
 :shrug:
Sorry!

peewee

• obsessive maniac
  • Wilko Baggins
  • If in doubt, Lock it out (Dynamically)
#2 Re: Brake Pads, whats the deal?
September 17, 2012, 06:29:33 pm
I tend to get the sintered pads, I've found they last a lot longer than standard pads, also bedding them in properly seems to increase longevity.

mrconners

• menacing presence
#3 Re: Brake Pads, whats the deal?
September 17, 2012, 08:28:42 pm
If doing a lot of off road I would choose the sintered metallic  but as you are commuting I would go for the ceramic. Myself and my missus do a lot of bike touring on the mtb's and on some very very steep roads in Central America we chewed through the sintered metallic pads pretty quickly. This was a combination of high bike weight, steep roads and high speeds on the tarmac.

In South America on some monstrous descents, which were all on gravel roads and not as steep and therefore not as fast the sintered metallic lasted over 6 weeks and about 1500 pretty rough miles.

Seems ceramic is your best bet, will fit your requirements of no doubt having to cope with stopping at ultra high speed  ;) , and the price isn't really a massive issue.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#4 Re: Brake Pads, whats the deal?
September 17, 2012, 08:36:28 pm
On the DH bike both ends I'll use organic (kevlar) and on the XC bike I'll use organic front and sintered rear. 

Never tried ceramics.

Sintered last longer but organic are more powerful. 

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#5 Re: Brake Pads, whats the deal?
September 18, 2012, 09:03:08 am
Cheers for the insights, I think I'll go for ceramics (and bear in mind the other options should I get round to buying a MTB again).

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal