UKBouldering.com

Best Camera Accessories (Read 3480 times)

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
Best Camera Accessories
September 06, 2012, 10:06:00 pm
So I'm wondering what the best accessories recommendations would be for both photography and videography?

Filters, Lenses, Tripods, Etc.  Where's the best place to put your money post camera purchase?

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1 Re: Best Camera Accessories
September 06, 2012, 11:02:14 pm
For both a decent tripod is best first port of call. Ball head for photos swivel head for video.

Thereafter all depends what you want to be doing.

dave

#2 Re: Best Camera Accessories
September 06, 2012, 11:21:18 pm
Lenses obviously, but you wouldn't call a lens an accessory. Other than that, like chris says a good tripod with a good head opens up a world of possibilities. Infact even a relatively shit tripod can work wonders.

Other handy things: lenspen, hotshoe spirit level, polariser, grads etc.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#3 Re: Best Camera Accessories
September 07, 2012, 05:50:09 am
for a video camera - wide angle lens

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#4 Re: Best Camera Accessories
September 07, 2012, 06:01:54 pm
I guess I'll take a step back.  I'm looking at picking up a new camera for amatuer photography and videgraphy - both climbing and non-climbing related.  So far based on research on here and on the 'net, I'm most likely looking at a t3i (600d) unless someone can give me a compelling argument against it/for something else. 

I've never had a DSLR so I know it'll be a big step up, but have a canon SLR from back in college (I got it for a for a photography class) with a couple of basic lenses so I do get the basics of using a SLR - just need a refresher.

I've got a budget of about $1500, and was looking at what accessories to go with it.  So far the top priorities are:

t3i $700
good tripod and head $200-300ish (looking at a fluid head for video?? good idea?)
2 quality SD cards $30-40
Cleaning Kit $30-40
extra batteries $20-30

Which leaves me with about $500.  Where's the best place to spend this - Better lenses, better tripod set-up, better camera body.....?

If I shop around and watch for deals, I may be able to find some of this cheaper, but this is my starting budget.

Paul B

• forum hero
#5 Re: Best Camera Accessories
September 07, 2012, 06:08:49 pm
you don't mention what lens the t3i would come with? I think its hard to track it down here but one Canon kit offering includes the 50mm f/1.8 II

I'm not sure if its the same in the US but buying used here makes a lot of sense. Canon have brought out a lot  of bodies in the same 'kinda' range as the t3i. The 600d has the crappy back layout, as does the 650. The 60 handles much better (twin wheels, more akin to the higher spec'd cameras).

For video you might want to consider the new STM primes which work better with AF during video (far from perfect).

Personally I wouldn't blow your budget all at once, instead buy the basics, see what you're using it for and what you NEED.

tomtom

• forum hero
#6 Best Camera Accessories
September 07, 2012, 07:35:35 pm
For bouldering stills (and vid) the sigma 10-20mm (what Dave said's former lens) has proved invaluable. Often your so close in somewhere tight and need to cram everything in. It sits on my camera all the time now... The 50mm prime is cheap (£90) and good too..

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#7 Re: Best Camera Accessories
September 07, 2012, 07:37:21 pm
It's a tough call with the used.  Being in Alaska, the used market is pretty slim unless you go online. 

Can you clarify the "crappy"ness of the back layout as I haven't used to compare?

The need for a solid wide angle seems logical...

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#8 Re: Best Camera Accessories
September 07, 2012, 07:52:43 pm
t3i $700
good tripod and head $200-300ish (looking at a fluid head for video?? good idea?)
2 quality SD cards $30-40
Cleaning Kit $30-40
extra batteries $20-30

Which leaves me with about $500.  Where's the best place to spend this - Better lenses, better tripod set-up, better camera body.....?

Based on that, I'd spend the extra on lenses. Don't know much about the Canon range but would look at a Tokina wide zoom to save a few $$$, a 50mm/1.8 or similar, and maybe a cheap tele zoom.

Paul B

• forum hero
#9 Re: Best Camera Accessories
September 08, 2012, 10:40:32 pm
It's a tough call with the used.  Being in Alaska, the used market is pretty slim unless you go online. 

Can you clarify the "crappy"ness of the back layout as I haven't used to compare?

The need for a solid wide angle seems logical...

Instead of a front dial and rear wheel combo which works well for Manual, you've got a D pad style button layout and I can't remember but I don't think you get independent control over aperture and shutter, instead you've got a primary dial and a push button to hold which switches its function to either shutter or aperture (I can't remember which).

A digitalrev video clarifies the major differences between the bodies in this area of the Canon range.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#10 Re: Best Camera Accessories
September 09, 2012, 05:16:16 pm
I've fitted a fleshlight to my camera.
I love getting my camera out now

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#11 Re: Best Camera Accessories
September 10, 2012, 05:04:33 pm
Instead of a front dial and rear wheel combo which works well for Manual, you've got a D pad style button layout and I can't remember but I don't think you get independent control over aperture and shutter, instead you've got a primary dial and a push button to hold which switches its function to either shutter or aperture (I can't remember which).

A digitalrev video clarifies the major differences between the bodies in this area of the Canon range.
Thanks,  I'll take a look at that review. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal