UKBouldering.com

camera recommendations (Read 2608 times)

iwasmexican

• obsessive maniac
camera recommendations
September 06, 2012, 01:05:24 pm
so im wanting to get a camera, nothing fancy (preferably less than £180-200), something to film in hd, nothing more than that really.

any suggestions? was considering something like a gopro for robustness etc, but have never tried one etc etc (are they alright for filming climbing...?)...

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1 Re: camera recommendations
September 06, 2012, 01:14:48 pm
Unless you get the Hero 2, which can film in wide angle and normal (but with no zoom option inbetween), I wouldn't bother with a Go-Pro; too much of the technology; robustness, waterproofing, mounting options aren't needed for filming bouldering, unless you were planning on filming loads of POV shots.

Better (IMO) to get a sony handycam or one of several similar makes for around that price. More releavant features for your money.

Also change the subject to "video camera" most people assume you are talking about stills when you just say "camera".

cofe

• forum hero
#2 Re: camera recommendations
September 06, 2012, 02:05:52 pm
Don't get a GoPro for climbing: get something with a screen and more than two buttons.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#3 Re: camera recommendations
September 06, 2012, 04:21:51 pm
Gopros are pretty hard to use in the field unless you buy the optional screen for the back, and carry a cheat sheet for the settings. I haven't seen very much worthwhile POV climbing footage fiilmed with them either, it just doesn't seem to suit the activity.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#4 Re: camera recommendations
September 06, 2012, 08:18:24 pm
So weve agreed what not to get then.....

Otherwise it's a case of sticking with well know brands and going into dixons or currys or best buy and playing with a few then finding it cheaper online.

Fwiw I prefer ones with a memory card to internal hard drives.

iwasmexican

• obsessive maniac
#5 Re: camera recommendations
September 06, 2012, 08:55:43 pm
So weve agreed what not to get then.....

thats good enough for me, cheers guys xoxo

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal