UKBouldering.com

Sea Food (Read 11848 times)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Sea Food
September 01, 2012, 02:11:50 am
Quick search revealed that whilst there was threads about seafood restaurants in Sheffield and Sea Bass, no dedicated sea food thread so I thought I'd kick things off with........

Cerbechia Mixto by slack---line, on Flickr

A Peruvian speciality and absolutely delectable!

Cerbechia is seafood cooked in citrus juices.

This dish had clams, scallops, mussels, octopus, squid, langustine, prawns, various fish cuts, onion, chili, corriander some greens and of course citrus juice, with some sweet potato on the side.  Really, really tasty and I'm a fool until not trying it two days before leaving the country (still can make up for that in Lima which is a bit closer to the coast).

Its also possible to get trout (very common in Peru) cooked in the same way.

I used to hate seafood as a youngster but matured out of it.  Love mussels in chilli sauce, lobster/crabs/prawns, swordfish is delicious the few times I've had it and I love sashimi (yellow fin tuna melts in the mouth!).

Given there are a number of keen fishers, what other fruits de la mer do people like/have eaten of late?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 02:18:54 am by slackline »

andy_e

• forum hero
#1 Re: Sea Food
September 01, 2012, 08:40:41 am
I love sea food, it's a shame that it tends to be difficult to find a good quality supply around me (despite only being 10 miles from the north sea) so I don't get to eat it often. I like making paella if I can get some decent langoustines and razor clams. My favourite restaurant fish dishes have been the Pla Siu Shi at Jino's in Headingley, an amazing fish curry, the seafood gumbo at the Creelers restaurant in Broadford, Skye, and the lemon sole and salmon battenburg cake wrapped in an olive polenta at the Creel Inn in Catterline near Aberdeen.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#2 Re: Sea Food
September 01, 2012, 12:27:28 pm
Couple of really quick and simple ones - old hands will know these but if you're new to cooking fish then try them:

Fresh squid - if you don't know how to gut/prepare them there's youtube videos; once you've learned it 'tis very fast.  You want 2 to 4 per person. 

My favourite way to cook them is to put a large kitchen knife inside the squid and then score across on one side several times using another knife.

Get a griddle pan with olive oil to a high heat (add a little garlic if you like but careful not to burn it) and sear them for about a minute each side.  They should just show some char marks from the griddle without being burnt, i.e. brown stripes, not black. Don't overcook by even 30 seconds or they'll turn to rubber.  Serve with a drizzle of olive oil , a dash of lemon juice and a salsa or salad of choice.

Tuna steaks

Season with olive oil, salt & pepper for 10 minutes (or longer if you can).

Use a hot pan with a little oil and just sear for 30 seconds on each side - tuna is best "blue", i.e. just off rare. Should look like this:

Serve with just about anything.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 09:47:04 pm by Bubba »

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#3 Re: Sea Food
September 03, 2012, 10:49:32 pm
The Gaeng Som Pla (sour fish curry) at the boatmen's restaurant in Tonsai was one of the finest seafood things i have ever eaten.... and most fish the fresher the better, and the less that's done to them the better. (other than cleaning gutting and only just cooking).

andy_e

• forum hero
#4 Re: Sea Food
September 09, 2012, 04:44:51 pm
Tuna steaks

About to go for these with an asparagus, halloumi and new potatoes side.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#5 Re: Sea Food
September 09, 2012, 05:24:17 pm
Interesting combo - lots of strong flavours in there; I'd be a little worried that the tuna might be overpowered but I love all those ingredients - please report back how it went down :)

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#6 Re: Sea Food
September 09, 2012, 05:30:36 pm
I'm cooking "Salmon Fish Fingers with Pea Mash" from Jamie Oliver's 20 Minute Meals Android App tonight; will report back if any good.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#7 Re: Sea Food
September 09, 2012, 05:31:48 pm
... and most fish the fresher the better, and the less that's done to them the better. (other than cleaning gutting and only just cooking).
:agree:

Also have very fond memories of Thai seafood cuisine - fresh and fragrant :)

andy_e

• forum hero
#8 Re: Sea Food
September 09, 2012, 05:37:03 pm
They're steeping in EVOO (I had no normal olive oil, worried that it might be too strong a flavour!) lime zest, salt and pepper now. The potato, asparagus and halloumi will probably be too strong a flavour, but it sounded really tasty so I thought I'd do it anyway.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#9 Re: Sea Food
September 10, 2012, 04:12:48 pm
For Sheffielders the fishmongers at Woodseats is always worth a visit. We get all our seafood from there now. Can seem a little expensive until you realise the size / quality of what you're getting in comparison to the supermarkets.

andy_e

• forum hero
#10 Re: Sea Food
September 10, 2012, 04:15:47 pm
Bubba, the meal last night was delicious, but you were right, the tuna was slightly lost in the flavour of the halloumi! I think that side would go better with a stronger-flavoured fish, something seared with skin-on perhaps? Any ideas?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#11 Re: Sea Food
September 10, 2012, 04:21:14 pm
For Sheffielders the fishmongers at Woodseats is always worth a visit. We get all our seafood from there now. Can seem a little expensive until you realise the size / quality of what you're getting in comparison to the supermarkets.

Is that ?

Going to have a go at making Cervechia for my good wife this week

Could do with sourcing some Pisco too to replace the bottles airport security confiscated at Schipol...despite the fact they were in a sealed bag having been purchased duty free in a secure area at Lima airport  :furious:

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#12 Re: Sea Food
September 10, 2012, 04:21:49 pm
I'll draft up my layered fish pie recipe this week and get it up. It's my only dish I'm truly proud of. Would love some feedback.

Bubba those Tuna steaks have got me salivating all over the keyboard. Tomorrow's dinner decided!

andy_e

• forum hero
#13 Re: Sea Food
September 10, 2012, 04:23:15 pm
Could do with sourcing some Pisco too to replace the bottles airport security confiscated at Schipol...despite the fact they were in a sealed bag having been purchased duty free in a secure area at Lima airport  :furious:

This happened to my lady friend at Frankfurt. So infuriating, and it makes absolutely no sense because you could just go and buy the same product (ish) in the second airport of your connection!

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#14 Re: Sea Food
September 10, 2012, 04:25:16 pm

Is that ?

Correct. We also get our meat from the butchers 2 doors down.

This happened to my lady friend at Frankfurt. So infuriating, and it makes absolutely no sense because you could just go and buy the same product (ish) in the second airport of your connection!

Sounds like a scam.

:offtopic: :sorry:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#15 Re: Sea Food
September 10, 2012, 04:36:56 pm
Excellent, will check out the fish mongers later this week then.

Sounds like a scam.

Well it was G4S security, and to make it worse they let me keep the Jean Paul Gaultier perfume I'd purchased for the wife.....which was inside a sealed metal tin which they didn't want to check inside.  Unfortunately I don't think you can get Pisco at Schipol and we only just had time to make the connecting flight anyway.

Personally I hope they got sick off of it.

Anyway it is indeed

:offtopic: :sorry:

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#16 Re: Sea Food
September 10, 2012, 07:44:36 pm
I'll draft up my layered fish pie recipe this week and get it up. It's my only dish I'm truly proud of. Would love some feedback.

Bubba those Tuna steaks have got me salivating all over the keyboard. Tomorrow's dinner decided!
get it up. love fish pie. smoked fish mmm....

andy_e

• forum hero
#17 Re: Sea Food
September 10, 2012, 08:19:28 pm
My fish pie recipe follows Nigel Slater's recipe but swaps out pastry/mash/whatever for Rösti.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2011/apr/03/nigel-slater-fish-dishes

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#18 Re: Sea Food
September 10, 2012, 09:11:30 pm
anyone have eggs in there fish pie? I've seen it in numerous recipies and its supposed to be very good but I haven't got round to doing it myself yet

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#19 Re: Sea Food
September 10, 2012, 09:19:29 pm
Parents used to eggs in, tasted alright but never a fan of fish pie in general and therefore never made it myself to check.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#20 Re: Sea Food
September 10, 2012, 09:34:57 pm
Agree with bubba, and recommended here before,  Boldocks fishmongers in woodseats is waay the best in the city.

He does a fine line in game in season an all.

His fresh rabbit is outstanding.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#21 Re: Sea Food
September 11, 2012, 10:12:27 am
stronger-flavoured fish, something seared with skin-on perhaps? Any ideas?

Mackerel? Strong flavour, good skin for searing, healthy, cheap, sustainable?

tomtom

• forum hero
#22 Re: Sea Food
September 11, 2012, 10:27:41 am
Last time I made fish pie, the fishmongers had some 'fish pie mix' which had bits and bobs left over from fillets they had prepared, as well as even the odd scallop...

SA Chris

• forum hero
#23 Re: Sea Food
September 11, 2012, 11:50:32 am
Must resist.........

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#24 Re: Sea Food
September 11, 2012, 12:09:14 pm
Mackerel's such a versatile fish. The last time I caught a decent amount of them I made an amazing kedgeree which in my opinion is the best way to include eggs and fish in the same dish. I think it's traditionally done with kippers but worked just as well if not better with mackerel...

I heart fish...

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#25 Re: Sea Food
September 11, 2012, 12:15:56 pm
Quote from: SA Chris
Must resist...

Well done sir, I've just about managed to do so myself..... With the help of some (ahem) moderation...

SA Chris

• forum hero
#26 Re: Sea Food
September 11, 2012, 02:17:28 pm
Mackerel's such a versatile fish. The last time I caught a decent amount of them I made an amazing kedgeree which in my opinion is the best way to include eggs and fish in the same dish. I think it's traditionally done with kippers but worked just as well if not better with mackerel...

I've never had bobotie with mackerel before, but this sounds lovely

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/fish_bobotie_75099

tomtom

• forum hero
#27 Sea Food
September 11, 2012, 02:49:02 pm

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#28 Re: Sea Food
September 13, 2012, 08:14:25 am
Flickr

A Peruvian speciality and absolutely delectable!

Cerviche is seafood cooked in citrus juices.

Made this last night with some woof fillets and prawns from Buldocks.  Worked a treat and was dead tasty (got the seal of approval from my wife which is always a good sign, for me at least)....

Followed this recipe (vaguely) using  six limes and five lemons freshly squeezed, 500g of woof fillet & ten prawns (bit much for two!).  Served with a couple of boiled potatoes and some finely sliced iceberg lettuce.  Delicious and simple  :2thumbsup:

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#29 Re: Sea Food
September 13, 2012, 08:59:45 am
Is Woof Fillet from the Wolf Fish? I've heard it's really tasty, ugly looking fish though...

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#30 Re: Sea Food
September 13, 2012, 09:22:54 am
Is Woof Fillet from the Wolf Fish? I've heard it's really tasty, ugly looking fish though...

:shrug: Dog fish maybe?  :-\ :clown:

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#31 Re: Sea Food
September 13, 2012, 09:27:57 am
I did think that but assumed not as dogfish is not that popular these days (despite it's widespread availability and previous use as Rock Salmon) due to the fact that it's a fecking nightmare to prepare!?  :-\

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#32 Re: Sea Food
September 13, 2012, 09:32:42 am
I just bought fillets.  Fair enough if you've caught it yourself, but fuck going to a shop and buying something you have to spend ages preparing.

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#34 Re: Sea Food
September 13, 2012, 11:00:30 pm
http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2012/sep/13/how-to-make-perfect-ceviche

I bought some Aji chilli seeds back from Peru with me as they're dead tasty (and were in the cerviche I was eating).

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal