UKBouldering.com

Are Apple rotten? (Read 51426 times)

tomtom

• forum hero
#100 Are Apple rotten?
September 17, 2012, 08:03:34 pm
Ha, the equivalent of a deliberately long que outside a near empty night club...

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#101 Re: Are Apple rotten?
September 18, 2012, 02:24:43 pm
Back to the original topic.

The patent law is being mis-applied.....

Lemley MA Software Patents and the Return of Functional Claiming Stanford Public Law Working Paper No. 2117302

Abstract

Commentators have observed for years that patents do less good and cause more harm in the software industry than in other industries such as pharmaceuticals. They have pointed to a variety of problems and offered a variety of solutions.

While there is some truth to each of these criticisms, the real problem with software patents lies elsewhere. Software patent lawyers are increasingly writing patent claims in broad functional terms. Put another way, patentees claim to own not a particular machine, or even a particular series of steps for achieving a goal, but the goal itself. The resulting overbroad patents overlap and create patent thickets.

Patent law has faced this problem before. The Supreme Court ultimately rejected such broad functional claiming in the 1940s as inconsistent with the purposes of the patent statute. When Congress rewrote the Patent Act in 1952, it adopted a compromise position: patentees could write their claim language in functional terms, but when they did so the patent would not cover the goal itself, but only the particular means of implementing that goal described by the patentee and equivalents thereof. These “means-plus-function” claims permitted the patentee to use functional language to describe an element of their invention, but did not permit her to own the function itself however implemented.

Most software patents today are written in functional terms. If courts would faithfully apply the 1952 Act, limiting those claims to the actual algorithms the patentees disclosed and their equivalents, they could prevent overclaiming by software patentees and solve much of the patent thicket problem that besets software innovation.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#102 Re: Are Apple rotten?
September 20, 2012, 01:29:22 pm
Their promotion of their own products and exclusion of others is a tad aggressive for me. Take the maps that they've completely ballsed up.

Then there's the fact that they force you to sequentially upgrade things such as your OS even when you have no requirement to. I was told in Liverpool's Apple store when I enquired how I might get Lion without first getting Snow Leopard that I could not do this and that in fact I had NEEDED Snow Leopard. I don't know how I managed to use the computer without it if I truly did NEED it. I drew the analogy for the man in the shop that I didn't see a need to upgrade software unnecessarily, being the equivalent of having a 4x4/tank to do the school run in. He dismissed it and reiterated that for the past 1/2 years I had simply NEEDED Snow Leopard.
 :wank:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#103 Re: Are Apple rotten?
September 20, 2012, 01:34:56 pm
So you'll be buying another Apple device when you're next in the market Will? :tease:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#104 Re: Are Apple rotten?
September 21, 2012, 11:12:26 am
The wonderful new maps in iOS6 are delighting apple users around the world

The Amazing iOS6 Maps

Palace of Justice in Vienna is labeled Palace of Justice Nürnberg (which is in Germany, over 500km away)...

I never knew there was so much potential for big walls on Tahiti

Now I know where Basingstoke is....

Update at your peril!
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 11:21:50 am by slackline »

petejh

• forum hero
#105 Re: Are Apple rotten?
September 23, 2012, 04:40:46 pm
Back to the original topic.

The patent law is being mis-applied.....

Lemley MA Software Patents and the Return of Functional Claiming Stanford Public Law Working Paper No. 2117302

Abstract

Commentators have observed for years that patents do less good and cause more harm in the software industry than in other industries such as pharmaceuticals. They have pointed to a variety of problems and offered a variety of solutions.

While there is some truth to each of these criticisms, the real problem with software patents lies elsewhere. Software patent lawyers are increasingly writing patent claims in broad functional terms. Put another way, patentees claim to own not a particular machine, or even a particular series of steps for achieving a goal, but the goal itself. The resulting overbroad patents overlap and create patent thickets.

Patent law has faced this problem before. The Supreme Court ultimately rejected such broad functional claiming in the 1940s as inconsistent with the purposes of the patent statute. When Congress rewrote the Patent Act in 1952, it adopted a compromise position: patentees could write their claim language in functional terms, but when they did so the patent would not cover the goal itself, but only the particular means of implementing that goal described by the patentee and equivalents thereof. These “means-plus-function” claims permitted the patentee to use functional language to describe an element of their invention, but did not permit her to own the function itself however implemented.

Most software patents today are written in functional terms. If courts would faithfully apply the 1952 Act, limiting those claims to the actual algorithms the patentees disclosed and their equivalents, they could prevent overclaiming by software patentees and solve much of the patent thicket problem that besets software innovation.

Why do judges award in favour of these 'patenting the goal instead of the means to achieve the goal' claims then? Has it got anything to do with the subject matter being so incomprehensible to 99.5% of us, including the judges involved in software patent cases, that the experts can do what they like?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#106 Re: Are Apple rotten?
September 24, 2012, 10:11:03 am
Kick backs?  :shrug:

Anyway, with such discerning and loyal customers as these Apple won't have to worry about their profits for some time...

!

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#107 Re: Are Apple rotten?
September 24, 2012, 11:07:54 am
pure brilliance.

petejh

• forum hero
#108 Re: Are Apple rotten?
September 24, 2012, 11:19:13 am
pure brilliance.

Microsoft could run a genius advert campaign based on that.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#109 Re: Are Apple rotten?
September 24, 2012, 12:24:46 pm
That reminds me about myself and climbing shoes.
Anyway that's brilliant.
Now I want an iPhone5 as well.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#110 Re: Are Apple rotten?
September 24, 2012, 02:33:31 pm
Scary shit.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#111 Re: Are Apple rotten?
September 24, 2012, 03:49:21 pm
I sent that link to my brother, and he said he thinks she's mentally deficient. He hasn't spent much time in the US.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#114 Re: Are Apple rotten?
October 17, 2012, 10:02:25 am

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

SA Chris

• forum hero
#116 Re: Are Apple rotten?
October 24, 2012, 07:51:38 am

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#119 Re: Are Apple rotten?
November 02, 2012, 11:25:36 am
It's worse than dealing with squabbling five year olds. At least they say sorry when they're supposed to. FFS Apple!

finbarrr

• obsessive maniac
#120 Re: Are Apple rotten?
July 29, 2014, 04:23:56 pm
some data, some speculation:

I often grumble [...] that every time a new iPhone comes out, my existing iPhone seems to slow down. How convenient, I might think: Wouldn’t many business owners love to make their old product less useful whenever they released a newer one? When you sell the device and control the operating system, that’s an option.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/27/upshot/hold-the-phone-a-big-data-conundrum.html

Dexter

• obsessive maniac
#121 Re: Are Apple rotten?
July 29, 2014, 04:56:43 pm
Interesting read. I have always thought similar things but put it down to the operating system over the phones and hence haven't updated my phone (iphone 4) to later software.

I wonder if the same could be said of their laptops and other products?

tomtom

• forum hero
#122 Re: Are Apple rotten?
July 29, 2014, 05:04:18 pm
Interesting read. I have always thought similar things but put it down to the operating system over the phones and hence haven't updated my phone (iphone 4) to later software.

I wonder if the same could be said of their laptops and other products?

I personally think its wrong (the article).

MrsTT's ancient Ifern4 sped up massively when she put iOS7 on it... to the extent that she decided not to upgrade as it was fine now! 'Its like a new phone' (to quote mrsTT). Though reading online not everyone felt the same... *shrugs*

Also, Apple have carried on selling the older devices (still sells 4's) so why nobble them? Doesnt make sense to me.

I suspect its more likely that the longer you have a phone, the more shit/junk/useless apps/videos/pictures etc.. you put on it which may all slow it down - which would lead to a progressive decline... Also, as a new phone upgrade approaches, people are more likely to moan about the speed of their old one to justify a new purchase - hence the findings of the article which are based on google search data...

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#123 Re: Are Apple rotten?
July 29, 2014, 05:12:24 pm
MrsTT's ancient Ifern4 sped up massively when she put iOS7 on it... to the extent that she decided not to upgrade as it was fine now! 'Its like a new phone' (to quote mrsTT). Though reading online not everyone felt the same... *shrugs*

This is what both my wife and I found as well.  3 years into a 4s and I see no reason whatsoever to upgrade.   The battery life has started to shorten, but its only really noticable in the cold.

dave

#124 Re: Are Apple rotten?
July 29, 2014, 05:15:34 pm
Interesting, I've stayed on ios6 with my iphone 4 for fear of crippling it with ios7. Reading this makes me reconsider.....

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal